5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

BusHunter still hasn't put it in the roster though. Are they on the Red or Purple?

It's currently on the Red Line. We have to wait and see how this is going to be straightened out with the roster when #5599-5600 and #5601-02 arrives because Red and Purple Lines are near capacity with them.

It's currently on the Red Line. We have to wait and see how this is going to be straightened out with the roster when #5599-5600 and #5601-02 arrives because Red and Purple Lines are near capacity with them.

If that is the case, we'll only have to wait a couple of weeks to get an answer one way or the other on Orange Line speculation. FINALLY!

If that is the case, we'll only have to wait a couple of weeks to get an answer one way or the other on Orange Line speculation. FINALLY!

Indeed but keep in mind that it can be some unexpected scenarios too like the Yellow Line trumped Purple Line when getting a share of the 5000s.

You might still have a small wait as they still have a few #2600 cars on the Purple line, but maybe by #5630-40 we should see something.

Indeed but keep in mind that it can be some unexpected scenarios too like the Yellow Line trumped Purple Line when getting a share of the 5000s.

The only contingency like that is if Howard 98th, and Linden Yards are not, like the Monty Python Cheese Shop ("Well it's so clean." "It certainly is uncontaminated by cheese"), contaminated by 2600s, the 5000s will have to go somewhere else. I'm assuming that the 1360 or so cars now on the roster actually are being used and about 170 2600s are going to be scrapped sometime during 2015. But you are right that any assumption is probably out the window.

• Upvote 1

since when? I haven't seen it.

They've been in service for a minute. I've seen 5591-92 & we're close to seeing 5600's

I saw all four of them a couple days ago and I couldn't get shots of #5591-92 because I was going the opposite way. About the roster, I don't know about any roster changes after they reach up in the 5630s. The cut off is #5167-68 (I just saw it as I'm typing this right now) on the Green Line. Do Red, Yellow, and Purple need approximately 460-70 of them though? It wouldn't make sense because of the capacity concerns.

I saw all four of them a couple days ago and I couldn't get shots of #5591-92 because I was going the opposite way. About the roster, I don't know about any roster changes after they reach up in the 5630s. The cut off is #5167-68 (I just saw it as I'm typing this right now) on the Green Line. Do Red, Yellow, and Purple need approximately 460-70 of them though? It wouldn't make sense because of the capacity concerns.

A tight roster would probably be 360 something for Red. (like they are now) and 90 for Purple. I'm figuring they might go 370-380 for Red line and maybe 90-100 for Purple. That would mean they are about 30-40 off that mark. At that point it becomes a matter of where do the #2600's go that's assigned to Red/purple. They have to go somewhere because Howard yard is full at that point. They could always send those to 61st yard or Racine yard as they might have a little space or even 54th/Cermak yard as it has capacity for 100 cars. But really they are retirement bait, it's just a matter of shifting what they want and what they don't want. In the future I think they will downsize the fleet on the Red and Purple and the Orange line will end up with a 100 #5000's. Then they will have to actively retire #2600's unless there's a secret place for 200 cars.