5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

A tight roster would probably be 360 something for Red. (like they are now) and 90 for Purple. I'm figuring they might go 370-380 for Red line and maybe 90-100 for Purple. That would mean they are about 30-40 off that mark. At that point it becomes a matter of where do the #2600's go that's assigned to Red/purple. They have to go somewhere because Howard yard is full at that point. They could always send those to 61st yard or Racine yard as they might have a little space or even 54th/Cermak yard as it has capacity for 100 cars. But really they are retirement bait, it's just a matter of shifting what they want and what they don't want. In the future I think they will downsize the fleet on the Red and Purple and the Orange line will end up with a 100 #5000's. Then they will have to actively retire #2600's unless there's a secret place for 200 cars.

Based on where the Red and Purple Lines' remaining 44 and 38 2600's go, how many more cars do the Rosemont and Desplanes yards have room for to be put on the Blue Line?

A tight roster would probably be 360 something for Red. (like they are now) and 90 for Purple. I'm figuring they might go 370-380 for Red line and maybe 90-100 for Purple. That would mean they are about 30-40 off that mark. At that point it becomes a matter of where do the #2600's go that's assigned to Red/purple. They have to go somewhere because Howard yard is full at that point. They could always send those to 61st yard or Racine yard as they might have a little space or even 54th/Cermak yard as it has capacity for 100 cars. But really they are retirement bait, it's just a matter of shifting what they want and what they don't want. In the future I think they will downsize the fleet on the Red and Purple and the Orange line will end up with a 100 #5000's. Then they will have to actively retire #2600's unless there's a secret place for 200 cars.

I'm still troubled about Purple Line fleet of 90-100 of them but at least we're on the same page! :D:lol:

The only contingency like that is if Howard 98th, and Linden Yards are not, like the Monty Python Cheese Shop ("Well it's so clean." "It certainly is uncontaminated by cheese"), contaminated by 2600s, the 5000s will have to go somewhere else. I'm assuming that the 1360 or so cars now on the roster actually are being used and about 170 2600s are going to be scrapped sometime during 2015. But you are right that any assumption is probably out the window.

Now you about to make me go to Jewels and get some variety of cheese. Thanks a lot! :lol: It's pretty much a toss up with the future acquisitions of them on any other line. I'm guessing when the 2600s are getting scrapped, it'll more more flexibility to balance the fleet of the 5000s especially for the Orange Line.

The only contingency like that is if Howard 98th, and Linden Yards are not, like the Monty Python Cheese Shop ("Well it's so clean." "It certainly is uncontaminated by cheese"), contaminated by 2600s, the 5000s will have to go somewhere else. I'm assuming that the 1360 or so cars now on the roster actually are being used and about 170 2600s are going to be scrapped sometime during 2015. But you are right that any assumption is probably out the window.

I'd say spilt the remaining 2600's btw Blue & Orange that's the way I think it should be done.

....unless there's a secret place for 200 cars.

All the meeting info and stuff like that about the 7000s say that they will replace 400 2600s, so the obvious answer is that 200 2600s become scrap. Of course, several incidents on the Blue Line have taken care of about 10-20 of them.

I'm still troubled about Purple Line fleet of 90-100 of them but at least we're on the same page! :D:lol:

Assignment sheets on chicago-l,org indicate assignments on Purple going from about 88 in 2011 to 104 in 2013, so 100 would be within range, As noted before, it hasn't been updated since June 2013.

Indeed but keep in mind that it can be some unexpected scenarios too like the Yellow Line trumped Purple Line when getting a share of the 5000s.

Also, I think initially neither Yellow nor Purple were supposed to get 5000s until the Red Line was fully equipped with them. CTA decided to assign 5000s to those lines earlier than initially planned.

Saw 5006 tonight, it was tagged up pretty bad on the side. It was just black graffiti, but it was on the entire length of the car, including the doors. I was surprised to see it in service. I thought the CTA usually held those out.

I saw this last night as well on the Pink line at Clark/Lake. Very sad and disgusted. I also saw a 5000 series in the 98th yard, I couldn't get a read on the car number, but if you drive along the Dan Ryan going into the Bishop Ford you can't miss it. That one looks like it's been on that car for awhile now.

Here's a quick shot of #5595-96

attachicon.gifcta 5595 1-13-15.PNG attachicon.gifcta 5596 1-13-15.PNG

You and garmon need to me more careful with your picture taking. That guy at the door with the backpack was looking at you while you took the shot as if to say "What the ____ are you photographing me for?". I don't want you or garmon to get into a confrontation just for a few shots..... please be careful!!! :unsure: There are crazies out there that will attack you for innocently getting them in your intended shot.

• Upvote 3

You and garmon need to me more careful with your picture taking. That guy at the door with the backpack was looking at you while you took the shot as if to say "What the ____ are you photographing me for?". I don't want you or garmon to get into a confrontation just for a few shots..... please be careful!!! :unsure: There are crazies out there that will attack you for innocently getting them in your intended shot.

To be fair, it is public transit...people shouldn't get upset for one picture unless it's obviously intended to disrupt them somehow...

• Upvote 2

To be fair, it is public transit...people shouldn't get upset for one picture unless it's obviously intended to disrupt them somehow...

I tend to go with the latter. It is not clear that the guy is looking at the camera as opposed to not moving into the car. Anyway, it is a public space and the guy is on at least 10 security cameras at that moment.

• Upvote 1

That's why it's called a quick shot. :P Did you see the guy looking from in back by the outer door? I guess they never saw a camera before!!

He might have been just glancing for a second, but we can't tell from just a picture.

Good point, though some people do seem to get upset anyways (CTA vehicle operators, police, people sw4400 mentioned). As Busjack said, he's on more cameras than just BusHunter's...