5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

Its just plain ridiculous that the CTA has 700 of the 5000 series cars and yet none are going to the Blue Line! There are still over a hundred of these cars still yet to arrive and they have no idea where to place them in service! When the 2200s were retired, I was expecting a move forward, what does CTA do??? They replace them with the oldest 2600s from the Red Line! and b.s ing the public that new improvements are being made! Now the 2400s are gone and those lines will benefit from the new 5000s! CTA should put in place a better solution so that all lines and residents can benefit the enjoyment of new train cars! With 700 new L cars, its just hard to believe that CTA wont send any to the Blue lIne and the easy solution is to continue the misery and send more 2600s to the Blue! They wont even send rehabbed 3200s which would be a nice alternative! But even that wont happen! CTA is too busy catering only to certain areas of the city while other neighborhoods are stuck in early 2000 and 1985! I stopped riding CTA buses and trains here on the NW side because Im sick and tired of riding the same buses for the last twelve years! Im also sick and tired of riding the same train cars for the last thirty years!!! Its obvious that CTA only cares about certain areas of the city and not much for others!

I'd give anything for the 2600s to still be on the Red Line.

I hate the seats on the 5000s!

I'd even like the 2200s & 2400s back instead of the 5000s.

Oh, you'll probably see #5000's on the blue line. Just wait until the #7000's show up. They'll probably go to the Red line again and the Blue line will still get hand me downs!! The extension to 130th should be close to being started or in the build stage by then and completed by the end of #7000 delivery. They are going to let them have 10 year old cars?? No way are you kidding!! Shame is the #5000's are no prize, they screwed up the seats and refused to change them and will probably end up parking some in 10 years. Tattler had a story about the biggest pet peeve is people standing by the doors. Believe me I would sit down if I could!! It's more comfortable to stand.

• Upvote 1

Oh, you'll probably see #5000's on the blue line. Just wait until the #7000's show up. They'll probably go to the Red line again and the Blue line will still get hand me downs!! ...

Since the 7000s can be incompatible with the 5000s, I don't see CTA going in that direction, especially not with the base order of 400. Anyway, you would be talking starting in 2020.

It would be better if there would be some sort of barrier on trains that insist on longitudal seating. No offense, I dislike when people who are bigger than average (not fat, but just bigger in general) sit down first. Its better to let smaller folks sit down first (along with the usual priority seating gab) especially if they have small children.

That being said, does longitudal seating really have any advantage over forward-facing? Especially on a train, where things (people) are shakin' and groovin' more, sparking more arguments over "Watch who your bumping!" and "Get off of me, god!" since there are inevitably going to be more standing passengers than sitting

It would be better if there would be some sort of barrier on trains that insist on longitudal seating. No offense, I dislike when people who are bigger than average (not fat, but just bigger in general) sit down first. Its better to let smaller folks sit down first (along with the usual priority seating gab) especially if they have small children.

That being said, does longitudal seating really have any advantage over forward-facing? Especially on a train, where things (people) are shakin' and groovin' more, sparking more arguments over "Watch who your bumping!" and "Get off of me, god!" since there are inevitably going to be more standing passengers than sitting

I don't understand what all the fuss is about the 5000 seats unless, like you said, "larger" people sit down first. I would much rather have the 5000s with their "improvable" seating arrangement than the old, smelly, dirty, jerky 2600s or 3200s. I personally prefer the seating arrangement on the 3200s the most because it still has forward-facing seats but also has plenty of aisle room and there are less seats you can get "trapped" in (which is one reason I hate the 2600s) on a busy day.

Oh, you'll probably see #5000's on the blue line. Just wait until the #7000's show up. They'll probably go to the Red line again and the Blue line will still get hand me downs!! The extension to 130th should be close to being started or in the build stage by then and completed by the end of #7000 delivery. They are going to let them have 10 year old cars?? No way are you kidding!! Shame is the #5000's are no prize, they screwed up the seats and refused to change them and will probably end up parking some in 10 years. Tattler had a story about the biggest pet peeve is people standing by the doors. Believe me I would sit down if I could!! It's more comfortable to stand.

I was thinking the same thing BusHunter!!! :) Ive ridden the 5000s of course very few times, since we don't see them where I live! The NY style seating dosent bother me. I think its fresh change. I would just enjoy seeing new train cars being put in service since we don't know how that feels living along the Blue line! Im sure when the 7000s arrive, CTA will continue the trend of continuing to cater to certain areas while other areas just get the leftovers! Its hard to imagine the last time the Blue got new rail cars, I was just entering high school and the film such as "Back to the Future" was not even released yet in theaters, Walter Payton played with the Bears!! Jane Byrne lost to Harold Washington in the mayors race! And yet still we will have to wait another five or six years before we see any new changes to the Blue fleet! Sad very sad! There can be no dispute on this!

I was thinking the same thing BusHunter!!! :) Ive ridden the 5000s of course very few times, since we don't see them where I live! The NY style seating dosent bother me. I think its fresh change. I would just enjoy seeing new train cars being put in service since we don't know how that feels living along the Blue line! Im sure when the 7000s arrive, CTA will continue the trend of continuing to cater to certain areas while other areas just get the leftovers! Its hard to imagine the last time the Blue got new rail cars, I was just entering high school and the film "Back to the Future" was released in theaters! And still we will have to wait another five or six years before we see any changes to the Blue!

I tell you people on here don't like Kruesi, but he was the last best thing to happen to the north side. At least he was fair and he brought us the X routes and expanded LSD service and most importantly some new equipment.

Someone on the tattler said early in the morning, the homeless lay all across those #5000 longitudinal seats like it's a homeless shelter. He said this was early in the morning and I believe it. On Sundays and stuff they are piled into the blue line and there's so much begging going on it's a real turnoff. I wish there was a way to know which trains come from UIC short turns, maybe a run number, because those trains aren't like that. I don't know if i really like the #5000's that much. I think the #3200's are the best car especially when they come out of rehab with those flashy signs. They will be everything that the #5000's could be but isn't due to someone's stubbornness.

I was thinking the same thing BusHunter!!! :) Ive ridden the 5000s of course very few times, since we don't see them where I live! The NY style seating dosent bother me. I think its fresh change. I would just enjoy seeing new train cars being put in service since we don't know how that feels living along the Blue line! Im sure when the 7000s arrive, CTA will continue the trend of continuing to cater to certain areas while other areas just get the leftovers! Its hard to imagine the last time the Blue got new rail cars, I was just entering high school and the film "Back to the Future" was released in theaters! And still we will have to wait another five or six years before we see any changes to the Blue!

I tell you people on here don't like Kruesi, but he was the last best thing to happen to the north side. At least he was fair and he brought us the X routes and expanded LSD service and most importantly some new equipment.

Someone on the tattler said early in the morning, the homeless lay all across those #5000 longitudinal seats like it's a homeless shelter. He said this was early in the morning and I believe it. On Sundays and stuff they are piled into the blue line and there's so much begging going on it's a real turnoff. I wish there was a way to know which trains come from UIC short turns, maybe a run number, because those trains aren't like that. I don't know if i really like the #5000's that much. I think the #3200's are the best car especially when they come out of rehab with those flashy signs. They will be everything that the #5000's could be but isn't due to someone's stubbornness.

I believe it!!! I rode the Red down to 77th to pick up buses many times and almost always a smelly homeless person hogging up seats, I cant count how many times I was in a car that smelled of urine or feces, vendors and peddlers on the trains asking for money!! I would sit in the operators cab where I didn't have to deal with any of that. I would stay in there until I got to 79th!

Someone on the tattler said early in the morning, the homeless lay all across those #5000 longitudinal seats like it's a homeless shelter. ...

I believe it!!! I rode the Red down to 77th to pick up buses many times and almost always a smelly homeless person hogging up seats, I cant count how many times I was in a car that smelled of urine or feces, vendors and peddlers on the trains asking for money!! I would sit in the operators cab where I didn't have to deal with any of that. I would stay in there until I got to 79th!

However, the Tattler post was mostly about the homeless heading to O'Hare, and one commenter admitted to that.

Meanwhile, shots of #5607-08 @ 47th. It was a f'ing disaster out here!!! It took me 1 1/2 f'ing hours just to get from work (Fullerton) to 69th!!! My train had to terminate at Garfield causing everybody including myself to wait another 30 minutes for the next train while they lied talking about there was another train right behind us!!! Terrible management and decision!!!!

post-1364-0-90286600-1422854718_thumb.jp

post-1364-0-23938700-1422854731_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Meanwhile, shots of #5607-08 @ 47th. It was a f'ing disaster out here!!! It took me 1 1/2 f'ing hours just to get from work (Fullerton) to 69th!!! My train had to terminate at Garfield causing everybody including myself to wait another 30 minutes for the next train while they lied talking about there was another train right behind us!!! Terrible management and decision!!!!

Did they say why it had to terminate, or was it just "get off the train?"

Did they say why it had to terminate, or was it just "get off the train?"

Hell no. The idiotic conductor didn't say anything why. He just constantly said this train is going back to Howard like ten times. The twisted part about it, he continued to go south just to turn around via the middle track between 59th and 63rd instead of going north via Garfield Crossover.

Hell no. The idiotic conductor didn't say anything why. He just constantly said this train is going back to Howard like ten times. The twisted part about it, he continued to go south just to turn around via the middle track between 59th and 63rd instead of going north via Garfield Crossover.

Using 63rd Middle Track to turn a train from south to north, that would be normal procedure. Sleet fighter trains would normal clear that route, keeping it clean. Route selector switches are wayside. Much smoother operation. I don't know if a towerman has to be on duty to use the "X" over because it seems that would call for a movement in the wrong direction- against current of traffic.

• Upvote 3

For me, I would "shut up" about the 2600s :) if they could at least ship some 3200s to the Blue. Or bring back the #6000s! ;) It dosent have to be the 5000s. Either way Id be one happy camper and start riding public transit again. I stopped riding because Im tired of riding the same bus and rail equipment were stuck with on the NW side. I use Metra now to get downtown. I enjoy more the beautiful "new" bilevel cars they run! I also love riding their Pullman bilevels from the CNW/Rock Island days they still operate. :)

For me, I would "shut up" about the 2600s :) if they could at least ship some 3200s to the Blue. Or bring back the #6000s! ;) It dosent have to be the 5000s. Either way Id be one happy camper and start riding public transit again. I stopped riding because Im tired of riding the same bus and rail equipment were stuck with on the NW side. I use Metra now to get downtown. I enjoy more the beautiful "new" bilevel cars they run! I also love riding their Pullman bilevels from the CNW/Rock Island days they still operate. :)

I love your use of the "faces". 6000s??? The movie "Ali" demonstrated that IRM 6000s can be brought back and run of the CTA "L".

DH

• Upvote 3

Well at least you got us a few good shots while you waited. Yeah that sucks waiting on the expressway, it's windy and cold. Alot of times I check train or bus tracker and if the bus or train is not due either I hang out in the subway or go to a CVS if one is nearby. Some of those mezzanines will get you out of the wind too. Like yesterday I'm not waiting 35 minutes on a snow pack at Division/Ashland for a bus so I went to CVS. They got some new soda by Shaq in there from Arizona tea, same size too. Interesting. I even crossed Ashland via the subway because the corners were just lakes. Some mexican guy had the right idea, he was riding the bus with his shovel and partly shoveled out the bus stop on the SB side. You really need to ride with your shovel out here!!

Well at least you got us a few good shots while you waited. Yeah that sucks waiting on the expressway, it's windy and cold. Alot of times I check train or bus tracker and if the bus or train is not due either I hang out in the subway or go to a CVS if one is nearby. Some of those mezzanines will get you out of the wind too. Like yesterday I'm not waiting 35 minutes on a snow pack at Division/Ashland for a bus so I went to CVS. They got some new soda by Shaq in there from Arizona tea, same size too. Interesting. I even crossed Ashland via the subway because the corners were just lakes. Some mexican guy had the right idea, he was riding the bus with his shovel and partly shoveled out the bus stop on the SB side. You really need to ride with your shovel out here!!

Maybe I will!!! :lol: