5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

How long until those are in service? I haven't been to D.C. since before they were announced but they look amazing.

Peeps in DC have been sporadically filming appearances of the 8-Car set Metro has, but Metro hasn't announced anything yet. So far I've seen clips of them on the Red and Orange Lines.

I know what you mean, those cars look gorgeous. Now if only they could bring over features from those trains to our 7000s.

• Upvote 1

When you say not even close, you mean it's not?

What I mean is when CTA management finally decides to be more fair in its distribution of its new or rehabbed equipment for both buses and trains and stops being selfish, pigheaded and political about it, then we can say its a "major" step for the agency and for the city! Right now, Sorry! but its not even close!!! Theres one area of the city that has not benefited for a long, long time!. No new buses in twelve years and new L cars in over thirty years! No replacements coming for another five to six years! Not sure where you reside but If you live on the NW side you'd see what I mean!!! Perhaps I see things differently here but Im just frustrated at the fact our buses are old our train cars are old. All this new bus and rail equipment coming online in this city, rehabbed equipment as well and none of it serving areas on the far NW side of the city where it is badly needed! Im still seeing buses I helped put in service as a bus operator more than ten years ago! Im still seeing, (no longer riding) train cars that were put into service when I was a pre-teen! Im 44 years old now! I was big user of CTA in my neighborhood. We have good bus and rail service in this area, including Pace!. But you get to a point when you get tired of seeing the same equipment day after day after day! Year after year! While all other areas of the city are benefiting from new or rehabbed equipment and no new equipment scheduled to arrive anytime in the near future! Regardless what anyone here thinks or says, there is more than enough in the way of new or rehabbed buses and trains to distribute to all parts of the city! Why no new equipment is making its way to this area of the city, either to Forest Glen Garage or the Blue Line is just pathetic, selfish and biased of CTA management! They should be ashamed of themselves to be treating the NW side residents this way who ride public transit which is just as heavily used as any part of this city! Just like every blogger on this site, I like to think I have pride in our buses and trains but I cant say this! Instead Im ashamed of CTA and its practices. I don't know what kind of people they have running the system who are making these ridiculous, stupid decisions to be sending old, beat up buses and trains this way. I would like to see something from CTA that I would love to share with everyone here. But unfortunately theres nothing here to talk about except all the "hand me down" buses and trains were getting! When CTA begins to demonstrate that it is fair to all areas of the city, then I can say that this is a step forward!

What I mean is when CTA management finally decides to be more fair in its distribution of its new or rehabbed equipment for both buses and trains and stops being selfish, pigheaded and political about it, then we can say its a "major" step for the agency and for the city! Right now, Sorry! but its not even close!!! Theres one area of the city that has not benefited for a long, long time!. No new buses in twelve years and new L cars in over thirty years! No replacements coming for another five to six years! Not sure where you reside but If you live on the NW side you'd see what I mean!!! Perhaps I see things differently here but Im just frustrated at the fact our buses are old our train cars are old. All this new bus and rail equipment coming online in this city, rehabbed equipment as well and none of it serving areas on the far NW side of the city where it is badly needed! Im still seeing buses I helped put in service as a bus operator more than ten years ago! Im still seeing, (no longer riding) train cars that were put into service when I was a pre-teen! Im 44 years old now! I was big user of CTA in my neighborhood. We have good bus and rail service in this area, including Pace!. But you get to a point when you get tired of seeing the same equipment day after day after day! Year after year! While all other areas of the city are benefiting from new or rehabbed equipment and no new equipment scheduled to arrive anytime in the near future! Regardless what anyone here thinks or says, there is more than enough in the way of new or rehabbed buses and trains to distribute to all parts of the city! Just like every blogger on this site, I also have pride in our buses and trains. Id sure like to see something from CTA that I would love to share with everyone here. But unfortunately theres nothing here to talk about except all the "hand me down" buses and trains were getting!

I see your point

Well I don't know if "innovative" is right...maybe compared only to the past CTA stock but compared to other transit agencies, they're a bit behind-the-times still...

"Innovative" would be autonomous-driven vehicles with LCD screens all over the place inside...

The reason, or what I mean by that(innovative)is that it's a new idea for the CTA to come up with these beauties-the 5000-L Cars(Rail Cars)and they'll run real well!

#5617-20 are all in service while on the Red Line. Any hope for the Orange Line???

Not a chance, especially seeing as the Blue Line got skipped over. Besides, in a few years, they're gonna be chillin' with the awesome rehabbed 3200's with all technological advancements of the 5000's but much, much better seating arrangements.

• Upvote 2

#5617-20 are all in service while on the Red Line. Any hope for the Orange Line???

Not a chance, especially seeing as the Blue Line got skipped over. Besides, in a few years, they're gonna be chillin' with the awesome rehabbed 3200's with all technological advancements of the 5000's but much, much better seating arrangements.

And they STILL run 2600s on the Red and Purple lines...

Give them up to #5640 and then I'll throw in the towel, but it's not looking good. Looks like the last 100 cars are going to be stored as extras as crazy as that sounds. In hindsight, if that's what they intend to do, I wonder then why they just didn't go with the Blue line and Red line for #5000's cause 360 something and 340 something equals what? Close to 714. This is like wasting a 1/7th of the order.

Looking ahead at the #7000's, if they ordered 846 cars which is the maximum amount allowed and did 400 for Blue line 170 for Brown and 130 for Orange, they would still have to waste part of that order too. Hopefully they will have the yard space for 1,570 cars or they will have a problem. That's like 400 cars extra than what they had pre #5000's according to what I figure.

Give them up to #5640 and then I'll throw in the towel, but it's not looking good. Looks like the last 100 cars are going to be stored as extras as crazy as that sounds. In hindsight, if that's what they intend to do, I wonder then why they just didn't go with the Blue line and Red line for #5000's cause 360 something and 340 something equals what? Close to 714. This is like wasting a 1/7th of the order.

Looking ahead at the #7000's, if they ordered 846 cars which is the maximum amount allowed and did 400 for Blue line 170 for Brown and 130 for Orange, they would still have to waste part of that order too. Hopefully they will have the yard space for 1,570 cars or they will have a problem. That's like 400 cars extra than what they had pre #5000's according to what I figure.

I hope they figure this mess out one way or another because this is becoming very senseless while the 2600s are still on Red and Purple Lines while Blue Line consistently getting dumped with more 2600s. They can't handle with all that equipment because maintenance is going to be a b---h when the time comes. Speaking of 7000s, if they don't get this s--t together with the Blue Line, especially on the west side, it's going to be hell to pay when the 7000s arrived and can possibly get trumped by another line when it comes to who's getting them first.

I hope they figure this mess out one way or another because this is becoming very senseless while the 2600s are still on Red and Purple Lines while Blue Line consistently getting dumped with more 2600s. They can't handle with all that equipment because maintenance is going to be a b---h when the time comes. Speaking of 7000s, if they don't get this s--t together with the Blue Line, especially on the west side, it's going to be hell to pay when the 7000s arrived and can possibly get trumped by another line when it comes to who's getting them first.

Blue will probably get them first, especially if they are redoing the Forest Park branch with those renderings they posted. Anyway I don't think they would want the #2600's on the Brown and if they didn't do the Blue they would have to do the Brown first because then the #3200's would have to go to Blue.

BTW, I notice they pulled up the linoleum floor at O'Hare Blue line. Now you can see all the platform cracks. They are getting alot of small problems at O'Hare and could actually use a lite station rehab.

The options for the last 190 were clearly stated to be for expansion. Maybe Rahm still thinks he'll get funding for the 130th extension of the Red Line by about 2021.

The options for the last 190 were clearly stated to be for expansion. Maybe Rahm still thinks he'll get funding for the 130th extension of the Red Line by about 2021.

Plus it would have to get built, that could be up to 4 years of construction. (At least that's how long it took the Orange line) Tick Tock, Tick Tock. :P But they might have more than 2021 as the end of an even bigger car order could be 6-7 years from it's start. Maybe more like 2025-26.

Plus it would have to get built, that could be up to 4 years of construction. (At least that's how long it took the Orange line) Tick Tock, Tick Tock. :P But they might have more than 2021 as the end of an even bigger car order could be 6-7 years from it's start. Maybe more like 2025-26.

Again it gets down to what is the "contract effective date." Option 3 "exercise timeframe" is 2344 days (6-1/2 years) and Option 4 is 2528 days (7 years) after contract date.* If we again assume that the contract effective date is late 2015, there would have to be a decision on exercising options some time around 2022, and then one would have to estimate how long it would take to manufacture and deliver. So you seem to be in the correct neighborhood.

_________

*I thought it was represented somewhere that FTA didn't allow options out more than 5 years. Maybe that's just buses.

Hey, I don't want to wait until I'm almost your age to see the Red Line goes to 130th!!! :lol::P

Hey, I don't want to wait until I'm almost your age to see the Red Line goes to 130th!!! :lol::P

When the current consultant process started in 2006, people were complaining that the proposal had dragged on for almost 40 years from when first promised. Really expecting anything different?

Blue will probably get them first, especially if they are redoing the Forest Park branch with those renderings they posted. Anyway I don't think they would want the #2600's on the Brown and if they didn't do the Blue they would have to do the Brown first because then the #3200's would have to go to Blue.

BTW, I notice they pulled up the linoleum floor at O'Hare Blue line. Now you can see all the platform cracks. They are getting alot of small problems at O'Hare and could actually use a lite station rehab.

Ohare is starting to look worn down! It needs an update

Hey, I feel as young as you do!! :P Hell I'm not even over the hill!! Chasing down all these buses is good exercise. I don't need a health club, riding the CTA is my health club. Although it does make you buy lots of shoes!!

• Upvote 2

This scenario seems to be more in line with "typical" CTA "logic". I mean honestly, as silly as it sounds, I could see even a line smaller than the Ravenswood Brown, say either the Green or Pink Line getting use of the 7000s ahead of the Blue Line.

Ohare is starting to look worn down! It needs an update

Maybe that O'hare surcharge can help with the rebuild process. I used to take the Blue Line, but I actually take Metra down (whenever I come from O'Hare). With the surcharge, an extra $1 or 2 isn't that much for a faster ride and more comfortable seats. Probably what happened at Davis in Evanston, just no surcharge.

Maybe that O'hare surcharge can help with the rebuild process. I used to take the Blue Line, but I actually take Metra down (whenever I come from O'Hare). With the surcharge, an extra $1 or 2 isn't that much for a faster ride and more comfortable seats. Probably what happened at Davis in Evanston, just no surcharge.

Anything there is part of the Blue Line project, which is basically borrowed TIFIA money. In that the O'Hare surcharge just goes into general revenue, the connection would be only indirect.

Weren't they supposed to get a new escalator in six months? It's been 11 months now since that happened. If any station needed the granite floor treatment, it's that one. That's supposed to be a showcase station and it looks like it has gone through battle.