5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

Your Red Line roster of 5000's counts to 344. Also, the beginning of it should say 5183-5398, not 5183-5397.

But it sure is hard to believe that the Purple Line fleet is finally fully upgraded.

Especially since history has had the Purple/Evanston Express stuck with the oldest equipment generally. They were the last line to retire the 1-50 series. They weren't the last to retire the 6000s though they were close. The 2000s were prevalent on that line until the Red and Green switched south ends and the 2000s wound up on the Green Line until the 1994 shutdown. The 2400s officially retired from other lines but ran Purple almost to retirement day, either as a straight consist or mingled with 2600s. Now stepchild status belongs to the Blue Line.

Especially since history has had the Purple/Evanston Express stuck with the oldest equipment generally. They were the last line to retire the 1-50 series. They weren't the last to retire the 6000s though they were close. The 2000s were prevalent on that line until the Red and Green switched south ends and the 2000s wound up on the Green Line until the 1994 shutdown. The 2400s officially retired from other lines but ran Purple almost to retirement day, either as a straight consist or mingled with 2600s. Now stepchild status belongs to the Blue Line.

Undoubtedly the reason was that all but about 8 or 12 of the cars ran only rush hour. I thought that reason would have disqualified the Purple Line from getting 5000s, but apparently compatibility with Howard Yard trumped that.

The NTSB site on last year's O'Hare wreck has some documents relevant to here, including a 2010 Rail Fleet Management Plan. Although predating the arrival of the 5000s, those of you that can do the number crunching can see that they were projecting a total fleet requirement in 2010 for 1132 cars, and by 2015 of 1282. That includes 20% spares. That is indicates as up 150 cars, and there are projections that ups that to 176 over 2010 by 2019.

The other possible relevant document on rail car allocation is that the Rail Car Maintenance Plan says that the shops that handle 5000s need special personnel and clean rooms because of all the electronics.

The arrival of the new 5000-series rail cars will cause some changes within Rail Terminal Maintenance. Most of the systems on the 5000’s have self-diagnostic capabilities that our repairmen will need to learn through Bombardier and CTA-led training . In addition, with the arrival of the 5000 Series equipment, the CTA will be seeking some additional electronics- oriented technicians to handle advanced troubleshooting on these cars. These individuals will be located at the terminal shop(s) where the 5000’s are maintained.

If someone wants to dig into all documents, the NTSB directory is here.

The NTSB site on last year's O'Hare wreck has some documents relevant to here, including a 2010 Rail Fleet Management Plan. Although predating the arrival of the 5000s, those of you that can do the number crunching can see that they were projecting a total fleet requirement in 2010 for 1132 cars, and by 2015 of 1282. That includes 20% spares. That is indicates as up 150 cars, and there are projections that ups that to 176 over 2010 by 2019.

Page 8 and 9 indicate that if they executed the #5000 option, which they did, they would retire between 250-300 #2600 series cars. So what happened between then and now? If they are holding on to trains because they anticipate the Orange, Red, Yellow line extensions and the circle line, they'll be lucky to get the Red line done. One thing I have noticed is the Blue line frequency has really shot up for the rush. There's like 3-4 minute headways and it makes that service more attractive. It's no wonder rail ridership is doing so good. At certain times there's 4-5 trains for every scheduled bus out here on the NW side. I don't know why else they would keep 250 cars? Maybe they are hoarders. :lol:

• Upvote 1

Page 8 and 9 indicate that if they executed the #5000 option, which they did, they would retire between 250-300 #2600 series cars. So what happened between then and now?...

Aside from that being a 2010 projection, heck if I know. I've pointed out that the later 7000s spec indicated that 400 2600s would be replaced by the 7000s, which would indicate that only 200 would be retired, and fleet size would be about 1360 at that point. However, the numbers around at the moment indicate that the fleet is about 100 over that.

Maybe we need another wreck and hope that CTA has a newer plan to submit. :(;)

They put #5643-44 out so fast they didn't put any car cards on it, not even the system maps or line maps. I should've help them out with installing an Orange line or Blue line sign. :lol:

Do you have to be in the Second Chance Program to qualify for that job?

They put #5643-44 out so fast they didn't put any car cards on it, not even the system maps or line maps. I should've help them out with installing an Orange line or Blue line sign. :lol:

Think they'd notice if you just...you know...moved a sign or two?

Think they'd notice if you just...you know...moved a sign or two?

Of course I would need the four part signs or I don't know if they would fit. (they are cut into four sections for these cars, 2 for system maps 2 for line maps) Maybe the Orange line signs are lost in the mail. :lol:

Of course I would need the four part signs or I don't know if they would fit. (they are cut into four sections for these cars, 2 for system maps 2 for line maps) Maybe the Orange line signs are lost in the mail. :lol:

Take an orange EXPO marker and write "Midway" on the inside LED signs :P make sure to draw the little airplane icon carefully

• Upvote 2

Take an orange EXPO marker and write "Midway" on the inside LED signs :P make sure to draw the little airplane icon carefully

Ahh!! But that's vandalism. I got a better idea. You just need to do what CTA would do in the event of a sign failure. Draw up a sign in magic marker and tape it to the destination signs.

Ahh!! But that's vandalism. I got a better idea. You just need to do what CTA would do in the event of a sign failure. Draw up a sign in magic marker and tape it to the destination signs.

Well, erasable vandalism, but I'm sure a piece of paper would work just as well

5441 on the purple line has new stickers on all the doors:

hefvH.jpg

So I guess they've had enough problems with people abusing the cherries that they need even more warnings about them?

That's a waste.... example in point.... we've had bathrooms where they were nonfunctional(e.g: toilet broken), we put "Out Of Order" signs up, and people still use them, and come to us saying "Your toilet doesn't work." Really!?! Read the f#####g sign!!! CTA could put up colorful, neon signs about the cherry and it's use.... bottom line, it won't matter as passengers will still pull it if they suddenly realize "Oh wait, the Operator is missing my stop, I got to get off!!!" *Pulls cherry and leaves as train is half out of the station*. Operator now has a stuck train half out of station as the door is not functioning now.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, it's been a problem for a while. I once saw someone pull the cherry back in 2006.

I've seen it happen a couple times, but not many. The 5000s stop really fast when it happens though; was on my way to Howard and somebody did it at Fullerton just as I was sitting down. I found myself two seats further down than I expected. Then we got to Howard and an employee did it just as it was pulling into the yard...I saw each car tilt forwards individually...