5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

Well then I guess they'll have the mid city transitway, but it won't have any tracks. o.O Should be interesting to see how it gets to 63rd from Skokie. Probably the best bet is overnight on the expy in the right lane at a slower speed. Although the Watson trucking guys take the US highways US-30 and route 83. I guess though it's in CTA's hands so they can make the decisions on how to take it, but there's no way to go from route 83 east to 63rd/Calumet without hitting a viaduct. There's a viaduct everywhere you turn in chicago. Why does hilkevitch say they are going to midway, when it sounds like they staying far away from there?

Edited by BusHunter

Windows has no doubt encountered a problem with the soundboard and needs to shut down. They are sorry for the inconvenience as always. Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart your train. You will not lose any saved route information up to this point...

Darn problem is that most things are so computerized that it becomes necessary. There is the hold the power button six seconds to reset your computer, but that also applies to your HDTV and apparently was a proximate cause of the runaway Toyotas.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a train of 5000's in 98th yard but with blue line o hare signs on. They look so awesome. Now I'm not going to jump to any conclusion but just wondering with the new president in charge do you think Blue Line will actually get some 5000's now??

Edited by Mr.cta85

I saw a train of 5000's in 98th yard but with blue line o hare signs on. They look so awesome. Now I'm not going to jump to any conclusion but just wondering with the new president in charge do you think Blue Line will actually get some 5000's now??

I don't think they will put 5000s on the blue line simply because of how segregated it is from the rest of the system, and because there aren't nearly enough to fill demand. They'd be super sparse and wouldn't really benefit the line much unless there were a lot more of them.

Edited by briman94

Yesterday on my way home on the Blue riding a beat up car #2615. A train of 5000s, I counted a four car set, went by exiting the Logan Sq subway portal. Just as we were entering. It went by too fast to see any numbers. But you couldnt mistake the corrugated sides. 

I don't think they will put 5000s on the blue line simply because of how segregated it is from the rest of the system, and because there aren't nearly enough to fill demand. They'd be super sparse and wouldn't really benefit the line much unless there were a lot more of them.

A 700+ car order is more than enough to upgrade the fleet on all lines! Regardless what anyone says!  The 2600s was a 600 car order and yet they were eventually assigned to all lines except then the Swift! They eventually made it to that line!  Bottom line is there are enough of the 5000 series cars to assign a sizeable fleet to all lines to co exist with 2600s! The Red and Orange lines are a perfect example of that!  Again my stand is, what CTA is doing is wrong! The Red has the largest number of the new cars, followed by the green line. These new cars should be assigned to the busiest lines! But for some pigheaded reason, CTA shuns the Blue line entirely! Why 5000s keep making brief appearances on the Blue line such as my quick sighting yesterday going home is a mystery. But I also too dont see these cars being assigned. It seems te writing is on the wall!  We will have to wait five to seven more years to have a new fleet!    

Yesterday on my way home on the Blue riding a beat up car #2615. A train of 5000s, I counted a four car set going by exiting the Logan Sq subway portal just as we were entering. It went by too fast to see any numbers. But you couldnt mistake the corrugated sides. 

Edited by Guest

Yesterday on my way home on the Blue riding a beat up car #2615. A train of 5000s, I counted a four car set, went by exiting the Logan Sq subway portal. Just as we were entering. It went by too fast to see any numbers. But you couldnt mistake the corrugated sides. 

Not In Service, I assume?

Not In Service, I assume?

Thats what Im assuming. Since it passed us it was too fast for me too see a destination sign.  

Yesterday on my way home on the Blue riding a beat up car #2615. A train of 5000s, I counted a four car set went by exiting the Logan Sq subway portal just was we were entering. It went by too fast to see any numbers. But you couldnt mistake the corrugated sides. 

Edited by Guest

I was on my way home from work this morning around 10:45am heading eastbound (inbound) on the Kennedy right before Jefferson Park. I was in my car, so I was unable to stop and check things out, but I did see 5000s on the blue line. They were signed "Out of Service" and the marker lights on the front were both white. They were traveling northwest toward O'Hare and had just passed the Jefferson Park stop. They were moving. I initially thought they were just a short turn run that had parked after Jefferson Park as sometimes happens right after morning rush. However, and I apologize for not getting a picture, I am 100% certain they were 5000s. The lead car was 5001-5002, but I was unable to see the remaining numbers. It was a 4 car consist and it was moving.

Thought you all might find this interesting, so I joined the forums just to post this. I've been lurking here for a long time because I'm a closet train and transit nerd. I don't know if this is meaningful at all, most likely not. I highly doubt they'd send 4 cars from the pink line to the blue line for any reason. Is it possible that this is related to the yellow line being out of service? Maybe they're going to offload them onto flatbed trucks to move to Skokie for some kind of repairs that can't be done elsewhere?

• Upvote 3

I was on my way home from work this morning around 10:45am heading eastbound (inbound) on the Kennedy right before Jefferson Park. I was in my car, so I was unable to stop and check things out, but I did see 5000s on the blue line. They were signed "Out of Service" and the marker lights on the front were both white. They were traveling northwest toward O'Hare and had just passed the Jefferson Park stop. They were moving. I initially thought they were just a short turn run that had parked after Jefferson Park as sometimes happens right after morning rush. However, and I apologize for not getting a picture, I am 100% certain they were 5000s. The lead car was 5001-5002, but I was unable to see the remaining numbers. It was a 4 car consist and it was moving.

Thought you all might find this interesting, so I joined the forums just to post this. I've been lurking here for a long time because I'm a closet train and transit nerd. I don't know if this is meaningful at all, most likely not. I highly doubt they'd send 4 cars from the pink line to the blue line for any reason. Is it possible that this is related to the yellow line being out of service? Maybe they're going to offload them onto flatbed trucks to move to Skokie for some kind of repairs that can't be done elsewhere?

First off, welcome to the forums mate! I have a feeling that they were using them for training purposes. That's all I can think of since you've mentioned that it was four cars and training has been consist with four cars no matter where they're training at. Hey, you weren't the only one that was lurking here for a while though! :D

First off, welcome to the forums mate! I have a feeling that they were using them for training purposes. That's all I can think of since you've mentioned that it was four cars and training has been consist with four cars no matter where they're training at. Hey, you weren't the only one that was lurking here for a while though! :D

Damn they did have #5000's? Maybe they are training some. These #2600's are going to play out eventually.  They had another blue line significant delay tonight. Don't know why equipment problems? They can't continue to run those cars hard on the blue light on the pink/purple. Eventually they are going to have multiple failures. 

• Upvote 2

... The lead car was 5001-5002, but I was unable to see the remaining numbers. It was a 4 car consist and it was moving.

5001-5002 indicates that they were taken off the Pink Line, and at least the Pink Line is connected fairly directly to the Blue Line (via the incline at Paulina and Congress). If the sightings become consistent enough, Garmon may be onto something.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the warm welcome! I like the forum and I've learned a lot from everyone here. It was honestly a relief to know that I'm not the only one who is just a little to in to trains, busses, and mass transit.

As for the 5000s on the blue line, I drive the Kennedy quite a bit and I always keep my eye out, today was the first time I spotted them. I'm sure it's for training, but I can't imagine what for. They don't have enough 5000s to move any to the blue line without moving 2600s to other lines, so they're not training blue line operators for some impending switch to 5000s. I'm not saying it can't happen, but it doesn't seem like something the CTA would do. It seems like the blue line will have only 2600s until the 7000s arrive.

I also saw the 4 car consist twice going westbound at Rosemont. I was in a car going eastbound and could not get a good look at the numbers but it appeared they were 3200`s. The guys that spotted it did not mention that the last car had a structure hanging out the rear door. I could not make it out as I was traveling to fast.

Damn I must have missed it again but the shop door was closed on the north side. It sounds like a special repair or mod if we are seeing exterior platforms on them. Maybe something to help get the new #5000's here in service. They probably would prefer not to use #2400's connected to those if they had too. Even mechanically coupled there's a risk. One wrong move or wrong switch and poof!! 

Interesting, why bring a #5000 to the blue at all unless there was a purpose. Maybe they were #3200's?

Possible they could also have been 3200s. Like I said it went by too fast for me to tell whether they were 5000s or 3200s  All I saw was a were corrugated sides flying by my window!  Even having 3200s would be a nice addition to the Blue!   

Edited by Guest

I saw them yesterday. I am certain beyond a shadow of a doubt that they were 5000s. The lead cars were 5001-5002. They did indeed have something hanging off the back of them that I caught in my rearview mirror as I was traveling in the opposite direction. I forgot to mention that in my first post, but I'm really curious about what it could have been. However, I know for a fact that they were 5000s, not 3200s.

Salmonella,  a belated welcome to the forum.  Your's was a good find....a set of four 5000 series on the Blue line. Late Friday update.....My sources say, about the four-car 5000 series seen on the Blue line, it had nothing to do with revenue service, training, it had nothing to do with equipment being assigned to the Blue line.  The train set was performing laser measurements which explains the equipment seen hanging out the front door. The 5000s have gone back to the Pink line.

DH 

• Upvote 4

Salmonella,  a belated welcome to the forum.  Your's was a good find....a set of four 5000 series on the Blue line. Late Friday update.....My sources say, about the four-car 5000 series seen on the Blue line, it had nothing to do with revenue service, training, it had nothing to do with equipment being assigned to the Blue line.  The train set was performing laser measurements which explains the equipment seen hanging out the front door. The 5000s have gone back to the Pink line.

DH 

Another one bites the dust...

• Upvote 3