5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

I am currently riding on 5679 on the Red Line so it looks like the remaining cars are coming to the Red Line. 

Good find and "partly" good information.  The next "quad" is ready to go at 63rd.  However, my sources tell me that no change has been made in "years'-old" plans, that the surplus 5000s will be assigned to the Orange line, something I've explained here before. This could happen and new units could still be assigned to the Red line to get the "teething problems" over with. Expect a new number range of car numbers for the Orange assignment.  

...NIS but I think it's from the green line. The funny part is that if you zoom into 5084's side destination sign, you can see that they forgot to cut a hole in the ad wrap for the sign! If it was on anything other than the green line it'd probably look a bit strange.

I guess the recent Green Line derailment answered your question on what line these cars are assigned to...

• Upvote 1

I guess the recent Green Line derailment answered your question on what line these cars are assigned to...

The wrap was the only thing fairly obvious on the TV coverage, But it wouldn't have been obvious from the side of the car that it was going to Cottage Grove.

The fourteenth 5000 series cars was delivered Tuesday, Aug. 11. #5688 being an even numbered, the intermodal trailer has to be turned with in the yard.  The trailer then gets placed at the south end of the loading siding. The Shuttlewagon and its flat spacer car has to be placed first at the north end of the siding before the trailer can be placed. After unloading the trailer is moved out of the way and the Shuttlewagon will place the new 5000 unit where the two cars can be re-mated. At the end of Tuesday, there are three pairs of mated 5000s at SKOKIE-SOUTH.

P1120641.jpg

Maneuvers took place to spot the trailer correctly.

P1120646.jpg

P1120664.jpg

Now placed correctly, the tractor will be unhooked and will move out of the way.  A heavy forward lift will bring the portable incline to assist bringing the 5000 car down to the rails.  

• Upvote 4

I wonder if they could possibly go with the new 8 cars leaving 63rd under their own power. Seems funny the 4 new cars didn't leave 63rd. Also will Howard and 98th run out of room before #5714 comes out there?

Why would anyone want new 8 cars leaving 63rd under their own power?  The CTA has policy about cars coming from Skokie to 63rd.  Why would anyone want to change their policy? EDIT.....63rd lower yard is NOT A SHOP for revenue cars.

Edited by chicagopcclcar

5252 just went by at Belmont and shook the ground so hard I'm convinced it has square wheels! It's pretty sad how fast some of the 5000s' wheels have gone flat.

I just rode 5251/2 from Lake to Fullerton, and it even feels like the wheels are square! The noise in the subway was nearly as earsplittingly loud as the blue line in the Dearborn subway. It honestly felt like riding a 2600. How on earth did somebody manage to grind the wheels that flat?

• Upvote 3

I just rode 5251/2 from Lake to Fullerton, and it even feels like the wheels are square! The noise in the subway was nearly as earsplittingly loud as the blue line in the Dearborn subway. It honestly felt like riding a 2600. How on earth did somebody manage to grind the wheels that flat?

Jamming on the brakes will do it.

Why would anyone want new 8 cars leaving 63rd under their own power?  The CTA has policy about cars coming from Skokie to 63rd.  Why would anyone want to change their policy? EDIT.....63rd lower yard is NOT A SHOP for revenue cars.

Why can't they run under their own power? They have electricity. They were thoroughly tested in ny. Skokie released them, they should be all right.  Does a line manager have to officially sign them into the red line? Cars can be damaged in tow just as fast as in service. You never know CTA might surprise you.

• Upvote 1

The second transfer of new 5000 series cars took place Thursday afternoon, Aug. 6, when a eight-car "drag" was assembled.  Green line revenue deuces bracketed the new cars, front and rear, and as soon as mainline traffic cleared, the movement was "off to the races" from 63rd to 14th Middle, turning directions, then on to 98th St. yard in the middle of the Dan Ryan.   

P1120520.jpg

Lined up on the incline, the transfer would proceed without a buffer, as the moves are getting more normal in appearance.

P1120551.jpg

Cars included #5681-5682 and #5683-5684.

P1120544.jpg

As soon as this SB train cleared, the transfer set off for 14th Middle with Green line controller's permission.

Sorry for the delay.....don't ever use MACKEEPER...they fill your computer with garbage and then CLAIM they get rid of the @#$%&*.  

Pretty much...put in service at 98th...this is a learning curve and policies are made daily. Among the shops that can prep 5000s, Howard, 98th, Midway, Forest Park, Harlem, Rosemont or Linden. Management can see which shop has the work space available and route the new cars there.  Funny, when I explained the route from 63rd to 98th, an internet poster said, "That's stupid.  There two ways to go to Howard....backtracking was stupid."  I pointed that it wasn't that way at all.  He didn't know the work assignments between shops.  And since it was a Green line crew that did the transfer, it was easier to have the drag use 14th middle.  Plus, that's why there are middle tracks anyway.

Policy among management is a daily consensus.  You are correct that bracketed 5000 series are now OK to be transferred.  You are completely incorrect to said DC units cannot be mechanically connected to AC units.  

It is just a matter of policy.  On railroads, a policy will be developed.  With CTA management, policy is to use 5000s units with 5000s and not to use non-5000s.  That is not saying  that 2400s is wrong. So, why do you want 2400s to be used now that you know what policy is?

The "incident" with the derailment last week shows another aspect of management policy. The "incident" train was coupled to four Green line cars.  A "buffer" train was composed from additional Green line cars.  The parade of two trains then ran out-of-service to Harlem yard with all towers instructed to not allow any trains to get in-between the two. Harlem yard was reminded the quads are good for service.

Finally, while some railfans may seem to want some 2400s usage with transfers of 5000 series, perhaps for picture-taking, 2400 work motors might cause different crew assignments.  I heard over radio scanner work trains with "conductors" on work trains. It might be that present policy includes one-person versus two-person assignment on work trains. Notice, I said "might." 

Why can't they run under their own power? They have electricity. They were thoroughly tested in ny. Skokie released them, they should be all right.  Does a line manager have to officially sign them into the red line? Cars can be damaged in tow just as fast as in service. You never know CTA might surprise you.

Here you go.....Enjoy.

Now to answer your question......the new transferred 5000 are not ready to run under their own power.  NY/Bombardier cannot do all the test the CTA needs.  Skokie did not do all the testing because of the Yellow suspension. Still to done is "carborune testing." I listed the shops that can do this.  63rd lower yard is not a shop for revenue cars. The major testing is described...." a testing of the cab signal system. This is done to certify the car is road worthy for operations."

I hope this answers your questions. Here is a picture with 4 new 5000s in the consist.  If a viewer did not know, one would appreciate this shot.

P1120520.jpg

Edited by chicagopcclcar
  • Upvote 2