5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

P1130205.jpg

P1130191.jpg

The first of the final eight cars.....#5707 was delivered to SKOKIE-SOUTH Tues. Sept. 08.

P1130172.jpg

Its expressway journey on EB Interstate-94 over, the intermodal takes a left turn at W. Pershing Rd. to run east to S. State St. The Tribune article pointed out this was a part of the travel plan worked of between the Illinois Department of Transportation and the CTA.

Edited by chicagopcclcar
Added photos.
  • Upvote 4

Thought my ride on 5585 seemed awfully noisy tonight...turns out the driver left the window unlocked.

AxOhS0u.jpg

Could have stuck my phone out and recorded a forward-facing video! That would have been a terrible idea. Nice breeze through the subway, however.

Edited by briman94
  • Upvote 2

Thought my ride on 5585 seemed awfully noisy tonight...turns out the driver left the window unlocked.

AxOhS0u.jpg

Could have stuck my phone out and recorded a forward-facing video! That would have been a terrible idea. Nice breeze through the subway, however.

What a coincidence! I'm on the same train you were on as I type this!!!

...Could have stuck my phone out and recorded a forward-facing video! That would have been a terrible idea. Nice breeze through the subway, however.

Someone posted a video doing just that, but it was with a potato camera, so the quality wasn't that good. Just now I tried to find it, but I came up with the video below instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GurkkXMOgzA

Edit: Not sure why the video isn't working, but I hope it will soon.

• Upvote 1

Thursday, Sept. 10, Report, NO DELIVERY TODAY, first no delivery since #5675 except when the sewer vacuum flat transferred.  So, is there some problem, or #5709 not ready, or #5709 not received from Bombardier. I don't know if anyone actually reports Bombardier transfers....it been awhile, you know...since the Yellow line been down.  #5703-5706 are sitting awaiting for a drag, ready to go to a Red line shop.  #5707-5708 mated.

• Upvote 2

something something 3200 rehabs something something?

No actually that was kind of quiet. This is more #5000's related as I was looking for those cars to see what was available to deliver to 63rd. I saw a car in the shop and I brought my zoom lens with me today, thinking maybe I have a new car here but no it was a trapped car #5430. This was shot about 1/2 block away.

cta_5430_take_two_at_skokie_shops.thumb.

5430_at_skokie_shops_trapped.thumb.PNG.9

The only #5000's that are at Skokie on the shop tracks are these 4 cars I shot at about a block away, I thought maybe they were a #5530's car but it looks more like #5520, remember I had said a Skokie car would be trapped because it would be west of the line cut. Sorry this is about as clear a shot i could get. I left it high res. Maybe someone can make out the numbers. The car has a side wrap, it obviously is not new. But unless something is behind the building there's nothing else there.

a_quad_of_5000s.thumb.png.aad26e2ecc227a

Don't know what to say about the #3200's, it's like a rehab that keeps on rehabbing!! On the Oakton side where #5692-87 were before, it's all #2600's. All lined up unmated all facing the south. #2763, #2764, the united cars I think those were #2930, someone vandalized on of them over the wrap. Poor United, they seem to have taken a beating this week. Couldn't see the others but there were about 8-10 of them. I could upload pictures of those if there's interest.

If they want it done, I say to the CTA: Take a deep breath, and let Midway shop do it if they can. The Skokie South setup worked well, why can't Midway have its time to shine?

Skokie shop is the heavy maintenance facility. Midway is an inspection shop.While it and Lake apparently can do some medium rehab work, what's required here is a fairly complete overhaul of the cars, including rebuilding the propulsion system, motors, and HVAC.

Sort of similar to asking why the bus rehab wasn't done at 103 and K garages.

Thursday, Sept. 10, Report, NO DELIVERY TODAY, first no delivery since #5675 except when the sewer vacuum flat transferred.  So, is there some problem, or #5709 not ready, or #5709 not received from Bombardier. I don't know if anyone actually reports Bombardier transfers....it been awhile, you know...since the Yellow line been down.  #5703-5706 are sitting awaiting for a drag, ready to go to a Red line shop.  #5707-5708 mated.

Everything is alright within the universe......and within SKOKIE-SOUTH as Friday's delivery came as expected....#5709 was loaded aboard the low-boy trailer. As I said before, I have never reported about the business end of Skokie and the present day Bombardier railcars receiving and prepping for service and evidently one has to be given permission to be on the grounds in back of the complex to know the true business about what is going on. When I was involved with the PCC railcars, that was the case.

P1130235.jpg

P1130244.jpg

• Upvote 2

Everything is alright within the universe......and within SKOKIE-SOUTH as Friday's delivery came as expected....#5709 was loaded aboard the low-boy trailer. As I said before, I have never reported about the business end of Skokie and the present day Bombardier railcars receiving and prepping for service and evidently one has to be given permission to be on the grounds in back of the complex to know the true business about what is going on. When I was involved with the PCC railcars, that was the case.

That's why I wrote that little disclaimer line in my post, it's good to speculate a little. If we posted all facts it would be a boring site plus there would be nothing to discuss.

Over the weekend #5703-5706 were shipped to 98th St. yard where the were found on Monday.  The absence of safety chains lets us know the cars aren't ready for service yet.  Meanwhile, #5710 was transported to SKOKIE-SOUTH Monday, mated and the next four are ready to go. The "final four" have their clocks ticking!

P1130399.jpg

98th St. Red line yard.

• Upvote 3

How are the colors in the digital signs achieved? For instance, what color combinations result in red? How many "channels" are there?

Fresh with a computer engineering degree, I'll take a stab at answering this :).

Virtually all digital screens, e.g. LED signs, LCD flat-screen TVs, and smartphones, all revolve around 3 fundamental colors: red, green, and blue. These colors were not chosen arbitrarily, but rather, varying combinations of these three color shades maximize the amount of other colors one can produce. (256 colors was a big deal in the 90s! Now you can get several million!)

To put this short, a red color on the 5000s LED sign is most likely a red "channel" at 100%, where green and blue are both set at 0% (and this is for all the "red" LEDs in question). Each LED will have it's own percentage of red, green, and, blue, which will give it its distinct color. This is why, from Rahm's denim shirt's photo, that the red-lacking, normally white "95th" text appears cyan, which matches the picture of the RGB model on Wikipedia.

When you arrange these different "colors" in big arrays, you can form text (LED sign) and pictures (television, monitor, etc.)

• Upvote 3

Carter claims work is on schedule & ignore that you can't see anything from McCormick. That's because nothing has changed there in what you can see from McCormick. I passed by there Friday & it looks exactly the same as it did several months ago.

The truth might be nice for once!

• Upvote 2

Fresh with a computer engineering degree, I'll take a stab at answering this :).

Virtually all digital screens, e.g. LED signs, LCD flat-screen TVs, and smartphones, all revolve around 3 fundamental colors: red, green, and blue. These colors were not chosen arbitrarily, but rather, varying combinations of these three color shades maximize the amount of other colors one can produce. (256 colors was a big deal in the 90s! Now you can get several million!)

To put this short, a red color on the 5000s LED sign is most likely a red "channel" at 100%, where green and blue are both set at 0% (and this is for all the "red" LEDs in question). Each LED will have it's own percentage of red, green, and, blue, which will give it its distinct color. This is why, from Rahm's denim shirt's photo, that the red-lacking, normally white "95th" text appears cyan, which matches the picture of the RGB model on Wikipedia.

When you arrange these different "colors" in big arrays, you can form text (LED sign) and pictures (television, monitor, etc.)

Dangit, you beat me to it!

How are the colors in the digital signs achieved? For instance, what color combinations result in red? How many "channels" are there?

If you look very closely at the signs, such as standing right next to them when a train stops, you can see the individual LED colors. Look at the white text...you should see a red dot, a green dot, and a blue dot all very close together. From a distance, they look white.

You can go to color.adobe.com and it will tell you the RGB values for various colors.

• Upvote 3