5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

With the last few 5000-series deliveries likely to be placed on the Red Line, if the Orange Line does get 5000s as CTA has promised, I have a feeling that the Orange Line will probably get about 100 or so of the lower numbered cars from the Red Line.

Now, another question is: if the Orange Line gets 5000s, will they be used on Brownages?  My guess that Brownages will continue to use 3200s, since if a Brownage train needs to be sent to Kimball Yard in an emergency, the yard already has experience with the 3200-series cars and would keep maintenance costs down.

Looks like not an if, as it would have happened by now.

Right now an 8 car set which includes 5685 and 5686 just pulled into Roosevelt elevated.   5610 was the lead and 5372 was the trailer.   There was an operator in 5372 that immediately took the train back south.  I assume she was taking it to Midway yard.   It happened too fast to get pics.

The operator was taking it to 98th yard because 5372 is assigned to Red.

With the last few 5000-series deliveries likely to be placed on the Red Line, if the Orange Line does get 5000s as CTA has promised, I have a feeling that the Orange Line will probably get about 100 or so of the lower numbered cars from the Red Line.

Now, another question is: if the Orange Line gets 5000s, will they be used on Brownages?  My guess that Brownages will continue to use 3200s, since if a Brownage train needs to be sent to Kimball Yard in an emergency, the yard already has experience with the 3200-series cars and would keep maintenance costs down.

You might be right. Someone said long ago, there are about 90 cars that have the tan interiors. They might be destined for the Orange line. Only bad news is that they will get used versus new equipment including flat spotted #5252. Maybe they can clean those cars up, they already look dirty. In a comparison, for cars of the same age, the green line's look much better. The Red line can really go through cars.

I imagine when they get done sending all these accident #2600 cars to Skokie they'll start sending the Orange line ones, so maybe they'll get some #5000's by late fall.

You might be right. Someone said long ago, there are about 90 cars that have the tan interiors. They might be destined for the Orange line. Only bad news is that they will get used versus new equipment including flat spotted #5252. Maybe they can clean those cars up, they already look dirty. In a comparison, for cars of the same age, the green line's look much better. The Red line can really go through cars.

I imagine when they get done sending all these accident #2600 cars to Skokie they'll start sending the Orange line ones, so maybe they'll get some #5000's by late fall.

That seems like an interesting theory.

So if the Orange Line does get these cars, do you think they will be used on Brownages?  As I stated earlier, my guess is no due to Kimball having experience with the 3200s if a Brownage train needs to be sent there in an emergency.

The third Thursday finds a another eight drag delivering new 5000 series cars. Last week it was a Red line crew. Eyeball accounts never documented the movements around Roosevelt.  In fact, the new cars ended up at Howard. No one saw the very first delivery.  Today's drag marks the fourth delivery.  It pays to have a real "rail" person, for sure, with a scanner.

There seems to be a trouble with NB trains going to 14th middle. The crew planned to loop the entire downtown to get back to Federal Jct.  Supervision on the scene at Roosevelt elevated offered to route the drag into the middle using the tower or make a quick turn within Roosevelt station. With switchmen in both end go the drag, revenue service would not be held up. This explains what was seen last week.  

P1120870.jpg

Drag with new car 5000s in the belly, #5687-5688, #5689-5690, slow NB at 18th St.

P1120879.jpg

Drag drifts downgrade from Federal Jct. just north of Cermak/Chinatown. This reroute lineup was used many times this morning, Thursday, Aug. 20, as SB Red line trains were routed "over-the-top."

P1120886.jpg

Destination...98th St. shops, we hope. 

• Upvote 2

That seems like an interesting theory.

So if the Orange Line does get these cars, do you think they will be used on Brownages?  As I stated earlier, my guess is no due to Kimball having experience with the 3200s if a Brownage train needs to be sent there in an emergency.

And your guess would probably be right. A few might sneak through here and there, like #2600 cars sneak through but for the most part it should be a rare occurrence.

Has anyone noticed a small amount of 5000-series cars on the Red Line that look as if they've been in a fire?  The sides of the car have black markings and the numbers and decals have peeled off.   I've seen about ten cars like this at various times over the past few months like 5336.

Has anyone noticed a small amount of 5000-series cars on the Red Line that look as if they've been in a fire?  The sides of the car have black markings and the numbers and decals have peeled off.   I've seen about ten cars like this at various times over the past few months like 5336.

I saw that on #5643-44.

#5687-90 were running on the red line today, but they were in separate consists.

I'm probably experiencing a "senior moment" here, but what do you mean by separate consists??

BusHunter, please disregard that question.  I just noticed that you were saying 5687, 5688 & 5689, 5690 were on the Red Line. But the two married pair weren't together in the same consists.  I told ya......"SENIOR MOMENT" folks. 

• Upvote 2

The transfer of new rail cars and the return of cars needing repairs, the CTA has settled down into a program that is now showing success.  A milestone might occur Thursday, Aug. 27 when 5000 series rail car #5700 gets transported to 63rd St. lower yard leaving only fourteen new cars to go.

P1120990.jpg

#5699 is briefly eastbound in Chicago on W. Pershing Rd. heading to SKOKIE-SOUTH.  The vacant real estate in the background used to be the infamous CHA Stateway Gardens and the CHA Robert Taylor Homes projects. 

P1120995.jpg

Now running southbound, the broad S. State St. offers plenty of running room for our intermodal transport.

P1130009.jpg

A sharp 90 degree turn puts our trailer and its cargo on E. 63rd St. with the Norfolk Southern Park Manor intermodal facility in the background.  its just three more blocks to the main gate of CTA's lower lard.   

• Upvote 3

THERE'RE HERE........The Five Thousand- Seven Hundreds!

The new five thousand- seven hundreds are here and the first of the lot, #5700,  was photographed outside of the main gate at SKOKIE-SOUTH, Thursday, Aug. 27 at the CTA's lower yard on E.63rd St.

OH MY, WHAT A BEAUTY!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

THERE'RE HERE........The Five Thousand- Seven Hundreds!

P1130033.jpg

P1130029.jpg

P1130034.jpg

The new five thousand- seven hundreds are here and the first of the lot, #5700,  was photographed outside of the main gate at SKOKIE-SOUTH, Thursday, Aug. 27 at the CTA's lower yard on E.63rd St.

Almost makes me sad that the delivery of these cars is about to come to an end :(.

• Upvote 5

Almost makes me sad that the delivery of these cars is about to come to an end :(.

It makes me happy because at the end of the day, the CTA can pat themselves on the back knowing they've got 714 new high tech cars at their disposal. And they're on track to completing the job without proper links to Skokie Shops. Impressive!

• Upvote 6

It's going to be weird seeing #5700 on the red line, but it might be on the blue/pink in 5 years. But i guess it will be weird to see #7001 - #7400 on the blue if it does happen that way also. On the #5000 scenario, if they kept the blue interior cars together they could actually do #5271 - #5670 to blue and #5671 - #5714 to pink. Isn't that strange how that comes out 400 cars for blue and 44 for pink? I think they will be segregating these tan interior cars, so they probably wouldn't send those to blue if it happened that way. But 90 tan interior cars is tempting to put on the Orange line.