5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

I saw a sign malfunction a few weeks back on Red Line car 5549.  The 95th sign was on display and the sign was normal on the left "95" half, but the right "th" half was a black background with the white outline lettering.  It looked really cool, but the train was leaving the station as I saw it.

The next married pair posed for a broadside as the highway transport prepares to enter the main gate at the CTA's 63rd St. lower yard.  This location won out over several sites.  Now, perhaps, the CTA might bring in more highway resources to cut into the back log of cars still at Skokie. Still to be answered, when the 5000s are coupled, are the units road ready?

P1120268.jpg

Edited by chicagopcclcar
  • Upvote 2

I saw this a few days ago and forgot to post it:

j39DA.jpg

I'm not sure why it was NIS but I think it's from the green line. The funny part is that if you zoom into 5084's side destination sign, you can see that they forgot to cut a hole in the ad wrap for the sign! If it was on anything other than the green line it'd probably look a bit strange.

Apparently all 5000's have now showed up at Skokie. And here is an odd observation. The rails at the grade crossings west of the shops are not rusted black like they should be after being out of service for months. In fact, until last couple of days they still looked like they had seen some use, now they are starting to look yellowish-brown. Has there been testing activity out there or something?

• Upvote 1

I just saw 5591 with a weird desintation sign… said Howard but there was no white. The black outline of letters was there but they weren't filled in. I also saw similar with 95th today but did not catch the number, although it was likely also 5591.

Spotted this car yesterday on the Red Line and the sign still hasn't been fixed.   Today, it was on the Purple Line and I have to say- the sign actually looks kinda cool in a way.  It looks like there's a wrap or something just covering the sign that is the same color as the route it is on.

Spotted this car yesterday on the Red Line and the sign still hasn't been fixed.   Today, it was on the Purple Line and I have to say- the sign actually looks kinda cool in a way.  It looks like there's a wrap or something just covering the sign that is the same color as the route it is on.

wait, the whole thing was purple?! That makes no sense! If both red and blue work, then the text for the red line should have been at least purple but not just red. It sounds more like a controller memory corruption issue or something instead of a problem with the signs.

#5680 and #5681 are not mates. If #5675-76 is still around they should be really close to an 8 car set. That will probably go to Howard on it's own power. With the red line still running #2600's looks like they are still short on #5000's.

Where did I say #5680 and #5681are mates??????  I SAID.."With the next delivery, eight in all."  Thats means #5682.....than there will be eight in all. 

Want to bet???  You said.... they will probably go to Howard on it's own power.  22 hours ago....... I said. "A betting man would say the 5000s aren't ready to go yet, so, look to see them towed....to Midway or Howard.  ODDS!!

SKOKIE-SOUTH Report PM Update......7/29/15 They moved #5675-5676 and #5679-5680.  #5677 and 5681 are unmated.  Where oh where is 5678?  A 3200 series was trucked up and ready to go to Skokie. And up in 61st St. yards, a second track has been added holding more cars awaiting sending out of lower yard. 

Edited by chicagopcclcar

Where did I say #5680 and #5681are mates??????  I SAID.."With the next delivery, eight in all."  Thats means #5682.....than there will be eight in all. 

Want to bet???  You said.... they will probably go to Howard on it's own power.  22 hours ago....... I said. "A betting man would say the 5000s aren't ready to go yet, so, look to see them towed....to Midway or Howard.  ODDS!!

But then your statement says that #5678 is there, when you don't know where it is. Why bring half a married pair and not the other half? If you know what has went to Skokie for #2600's, you should be able to determine how many trips have been made for #5000's so far. Why they may not be running under their own power is the real question.

• Upvote 2

SKOKIE-SOUTH Report PM Update......7/29/15 They moved #5675-5676 and #5679-5680.  #5677 and 5681 are unmated.  Where oh where is 5678?  A 3200 series was trucked up and ready to go to Skokie. And up in 61st St. yards, a second track has been added holding more cars awaiting sending out of lower yard. 

So they are getting rid of complete consists of cars involved in the Forest Pk runaway and the escalator climb? That would amount to 20 cars. I couldn't help but notice 54th has had like 8 #2600's parked there, since that happened.  4 and 4 car sets. I was thinking today, perhaps with #3213-14 getting rehabbed along with a few other lower cars, perhaps the plan is to get those back to the Orange line and then pull their #2600's to be scrapped.

But then your statement says that #5678 is there, when you don't know where it is. Why bring half a married pair and not the other half? If you know what has went to Skokie for #2600's, you should be able to determine how many trips have been made for #5000's so far. Why they may not be running under their own power is the real question.

You missed the most important question "Where did I say #5680 and #5681 are mates?and then you go off on the endless quest trying to guess what the CTA management is doing.  When I write I generally tell what happened and less about why it happened.

You said..."statement says that #5678 is there."  I said.."so, MAYBE #5678 is here after all."  Please, read what I say...don't try to make it what it is not. Note "maybe."

Explanation..... the placement of the received cars on one track did hide some.  Since it seem the cars are shipped in order, #5678 might the car that was hidden.  When the two pairs were relocated, the hidden car turned out to be a 2600 series and the #5677 was shown unmated. I don't know why #5678 has not been delivered.  I think management wanted to send it in order and until they do, #5677 will be unmated.

Explanation..... the question was asked if towed does a "buffer" have to follow.  Answer...YES. So because the question was asked, the 5000s aren't ready to run. A good practice would be sending a eight-car to pick up the four 5000s that are coupled. Four car could tow and the other four can be the buffer train.

Explanation...... Four 2600s from Rosemont were sent. The other three are in 61st St. yard.  Four 2600s from 54th Ave yard are also in 61st St. yard. I am not saying what management is trying to do.....I just report what they did.

Enjoy the pictures.   

Edited by chicagopcclcar

You missed the most important question "Where did I say #5680 and #5681 are mates?"

I can't provide the proof if you're going to edit your posts. 9_9 I was just making an observation. It's not a big deal. If anything you are attacking me, and you wonder why no one quotes you. 9_9

• Upvote 3

I can't provide the proof if you're going to edit your posts. 9_9 I was just making an observation. It's not a big deal. If anything you are attacking me, and you wonder why no one quotes you. 9_9

My editing my post has nothing with your misreading them.....like misreading "maybe" as if I said "for-sure a car was there."  If the forum still had the feature that allows one to preview before posting, I would not need to edit so often. Still, enjoy my pictures....nothing there that needs to be quoted.

The actual whereabouts of the first four 5000 series transferred is not known......#5675-5676 #5679-5680.  The expectations was the four would go the Midway.  The reason why the cars were not ready for service and had to be towed they needed a testing of the cab signal system. This is done to certify the car is road worthy for operations. As soon as I get more information, I'll pass it on.

• Upvote 4