5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

Okay, I'll bite.  Why did they use 5000s to perform laser measurements?  Are those the only cars equipped with laser technology?

it could be that they have more computer hookups, or that they need the precise speed control of the 5000s for measuring distance.

Yesterday on my way home on the Blue riding a beat up car #2615. A train of 5000s, I counted a four car set, went by exiting the Logan Sq subway portal. Just as we were entering. It went by too fast to see any numbers. But you couldnt mistake the corrugated sides. 

A 700+ car order is more than enough to upgrade the fleet on all lines! Regardless what anyone says!  The 2600s was a 600 car order and yet they were eventually assigned to all lines except then the Swift! They eventually made it to that line!  Bottom line is there are enough of the 5000 series cars to assign a sizeable fleet to all lines to co exist with 2600s! The Red and Orange lines are a perfect example of that!  Again my stand is, what CTA is doing is wrong! The Red has the largest number of the new cars, followed by the green line. These new cars should be assigned to the busiest lines! But for some pigheaded reason, CTA shuns the Blue line entirely! Why 5000s keep making brief appearances on the Blue line such as my quick sighting yesterday going home is a mystery. But I also too dont see these cars being assigned. It seems te writing is on the wall!  We will have to wait five to seven more years to have a new fleet!    

Yesterday on my way home on the Blue riding a beat up car #2615. A train of 5000s, I counted a four car set going by exiting the Logan Sq subway portal just as we were entering. It went by too fast to see any numbers. But you couldnt mistake the corrugated sides. 

The difference between the #2600's eventually being assigned to every line and the #5000's being where they are for the moment is that the #2600's were compatible with everything except for the last few remaining PCC cars. At that point, there were so few PCC cars around and even then, they were on their last legs so the lack of compatibility didn't matter.

As far as the #7000's are concerned, I don't believe they will get all 846 cars. I believe they will get just enough to replace the #2600's and the CTA will scrap together enough #5000's to fill the Blue Line. Look at the bright side, in a few years, be able to ride on some (slightly) newer equipment. But, it will suck for Brown and Orange line riders though as I believe the #3200's will stay on those routes until their eventual retirement.

EDIT: The #2400's also served on every route also in addition to the #2600's Even the Yellow Line. I saw a Yellow Line train running #2400's a few winters ago.

Edited by juelzkellz
Forgot something
  • Upvote 2

Really don't see the problem with the 3200-series placement within the system. Customers haven't complained about them as much. They're good runners, have good upkeep (especially the Orange Line 3200s, they're always clean very well kept). The 3200s aging has actually made them better railcars performance wise and when the rehab is finished, I'm sure they will perform like the newest cars on the fleet. As far as the 2600s, they're built from the same company as the 2200s, the exceptional Budd Company, so you know the performance is "built to last".  The cars might be 34 years old, but they're beginning to follow in the footsteps of their recently retired older brother, the 2200s. They're reliable and get the job. Even though many have complained "we have the oldest cars in the system", you have to think about why they are placing the most experienced cars on the Blue Line. One theory is the Forest Park Branch, you have infrastructure that is about 60 years old, do you want your newest equipment on infrastructure that was once the showcase of the agency or do you want new cars with new infrastructure that will once again showcase the newest from the CTA?

• Upvote 3

Really don't see the problem with the 3200-series placement within the system. Customers haven't complained about them as much. They're good runners, have good upkeep (especially the Orange Line 3200s, they're always clean very well kept). The 3200s aging has actually made them better railcars performance wise and when the rehab is finished, I'm sure they will perform like the newest cars on the fleet. As far as the 2600s, they're built from the same company as the 2200s, the exceptional Budd Company, so you know the performance is "built to last".  The cars might be 34 years old, but they're beginning to follow in the footsteps of their recently retired older brother, the 2200s. They're reliable and get the job. Even though many have complained "we have the oldest cars in the system", you have to think about why they are placing the most experienced cars on the Blue Line. One theory is the Forest Park Branch, you have infrastructure that is about 60 years old, do you want your newest equipment on infrastructure that was once the showcase of the agency or do you want new cars with new infrastructure that will once again showcase the newest from the CTA?

I rode the Brown Line yesterday and a few times throughout the years and I agree that the #3200's are always clean and well kept. Actually, I think it's the cleanest line in the system with the Yellow and Purple lines following.

I rode the Brown Line yesterday and a few times throughout the years and I agree that the #3200's are always clean and well kept. Actually, I think it's the cleanest line in the system with the Yellow and Purple lines following.

I've always thought the purple line was the cleanest, followed by brown and yellow. The brown line's 3200s aren't as bad, but some of them are still pretty jerky and rough.

According to this link CTA already believes 714 #5000's are in use* (see definition below) 

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/use

No mention of them on the Orange though. But if they continue retiring #2600's (up to 200) They should be working in the #5000's as the Orange line will be short.

http://www.transitchicago.com/news/default.aspx?Month=&Year=&Category=2&ArticleId=3442

Edited by BusHunter

According to this link CTA already believes 714 #5000's are in service (or soon will be) No mention of them on the Orange though. But if they continue retiring #2600's (up to 200) They should be working in the #5000's as the Orange line will be short.

http://www.transitchicago.com/news/default.aspx?Month=&Year=&Category=2&ArticleId=3442

That's only puffery about Emanuel believing in the ADA,* not anything of substance about fleet allocations. And, essentially, Emanuel had nothing to do with acquiring the over 700 rail cars, especially, when criticized over the seating arrangement, the flack said "that was under another administration."

*Pace has something similar on its home page.

I would beg to differ. I quote,

"More than 700 of the new 5000-series rail cars are in use along the Red, Green Pink, Purple and Yellow lines, which feature two wheelchair positions per car, visual indicators and destination signs and improved LED displays that complement recorded announcements to assist individuals who are deaf or hearing-impaired."

So where are they? :P

Edited by BusHunter

According to this link CTA already believes 714 #5000's are in service (or soon will be) No mention of them on the Orange though. But if they continue retiring #2600's (up to 200) They should be working in the #5000's as the Orange line will be short.

Then I am misreading..... according to the CTA link, it DOES NOT SAY 714 5000's ARE IN SERVICE (or soon will be)......"More than 700 of the new 5000-series rail cars are in use along the Red, Green Pink, Purple and Yellow lines, which feature two wheelchair positions per car, visual indicators and destination signs and improved LED displays that complement recorded announcements to assist individuals who are deaf or hearing-impaired." More than is not the same as #714 cars.  Thats how people get into trouble with CTA links.

We know that NO #5000s have entered service since the Yellow suspension because no one has documented any numbers.  We know there is only one place that 5000s can be put on rails and that is 63rd St.  No one has seen that happened yet.

So the "or soon will be" has the same meaning as the June 22 statement. 

And I stand behind my statements.  

P1120046.jpg

The only place besides Skokie.....63rd lower yard.

Edited by chicagopcclcar
  • Upvote 1

"More than 700 of the new 5000-series rail cars are in use along the Red, Green Pink, Purple and Yellow lines, which feature two wheelchair positions per car, visual indicators and destination signs and improved LED displays that complement recorded announcements to assist individuals who are deaf or hearing-impaired."

May be a bit more specific, but still flackery. Now, if Graham Garfield had posted what you want, that would be somewhat different.

And if you want to get specific, they aren't being used on the Yellow Line, at least not today.

Edited by Busjack

Then I am misreading..... according to the CTA link, it DOES NOT SAY 714 5000's ARE IN SERVICE (or soon will be)......"More than 700 of the new 5000-series rail cars are in use along the Red, Green Pink, Purple and Yellow lines, which feature two wheelchair positions per car, visual indicators and destination signs and improved LED displays that complement recorded announcements to assist individuals who are deaf or hearing-impaired." More than is not the same as #714 cars.  Thats how people get into trouble with CTA links.

We know that NO #5000s have entered service since the Yellow suspension because no one has documented any numbers.  We know there is only one place that 5000s can be put on rails and that is 63rd St.  No one has seen that happened yet.

P1120046.jpg

Note....Busjack never answers me.  Kevin....is the forum feature where people can ignore worth it? You remember, he used to brag about it and you made him delete that.  Just wondering.

May be a bit more specific, but still flackery. Now, if Graham Garfield had posted what you want, that would be somewhat different.

And if you want to get specific, they aren't being used on the Yellow Line, at least not today.

True, but it's still bad press. It's like saying 213 #7900's are in use. In use means being used by the disabled, not sitting at Skokie or South Shops. GG had posted something about the #5000's, (I guess in error) and I got reprimanded for his error when I brought it to light here. So you have to be careful what you link to, even if it is official. It's not always correct.  

True, but it's still bad press. It's like saying 213 #7900's are in use. In use means being used by the disabled, not sitting at Skokie or South Shops. GG had posted something about the #5000's, (I guess in error) and I got reprimanded for his error when I brought it to light here. So you have to be careful what you link to, even if it is official. It's not always correct.  

Especially when it doesn't come from the Executive Vice President of Rail Operations, who might know, but certainly isn't posting to the Internet.

P1120046.jpg

Then the CTA link is wrong, chicagopcclcar, or they worded it incorrectly(more likely than not)... this was from the link you mentioned....

"More than 700 of the new 5000-series rail cars are in use along the Red, Green Pink, Purple and Yellow lines"

Well, the roster on the Red Line where the newest numbers are goes up to 5673-5674 that are in use right now. In order for just 700 to be in service, I'm sure up to 5699-5700 would have to be in service on one of these lines, and I don't see anything higher than the aforementioned 5673-5674 right now.

I would say about 675 are in service(or should be if a certain water reclamation company didn't cause the destruction of a section of track).¬¬

• Upvote 3

Then the CTA link is wrong, chicagopcclcar, or they worded it incorrectly(more likely than not)... this was from the link you mentioned....

"More than 700 of the new 5000-series rail cars are in use along the Red, Green Pink, Purple and Yellow lines"

Well, the roster on the Red Line where the newest numbers are goes up to 5673-5674 that are in use right now....

Aside from what the "former teacher" said, if your numbers are right, I guess I was right about my backtrack to Garmon of 40.

I think they're having problems with permits. Secondly, lining up enough low-boys would be my guess. There's a lot of work that has to be done on the siding, like separating drawbars..... plus Shuttlewagon moves per each low-boy.  I'll try to get more information if the operation doesn't get going by this week. 

A brief summary......the four "escalator cars" were moved as a drag, cut-out. Four "horses" powered the move.  Drag ran from Rosemont to 63rd lower via Loomis-Harrison Jct. A buffer train accompanied the move should any default happen to the towed consist.  The buffer train would connect and keep the mainlines clear.  

P1120083.jpg

Escalator Cars at 63rd lower yard.

Edited by chicagopcclcar

P1120216.jpg

After two months of suspended service on the CTA Yellow line, finally a delivery of a Bombardier 5000 series rail car to active CTA rails was made on Wednesday, July 22, at the 63rd St. lower yard.  Car # 5675 was transported from Skokie Shops.  Now the CTA has a way to get the remaining units to Midway shops for preparation of revenue service. The complete story is in the topic "SKOKIE-SOUTH."

Edited by chicagopcclcar
  • Upvote 1

I just saw 5591 with a weird desintation sign… said Howard but there was no white. The black outline of letters was there but they weren't filled in. I also saw similar with 95th today but did not catch the number, although it was likely also 5591.

That's quite strange...I'll keep an eye out for it. I'm not quite sure how that would happen, because white is R + G + B and so all three channels would have to be out for the white to be out, but the red background was still there...was there red inside the outline or was it just black (similar to the Yellow Line Howard sign)?

That's quite strange...I'll keep an eye out for it. I'm not quite sure how that would happen, because white is R + G + B and so all three channels would have to be out for the white to be out, but the red background was still there...was there red inside the outline or was it just black (similar to the Yellow Line Howard sign)?

It was red inside of the outline.