5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

This is totally unacceptable and a disgrace that sh-- like this can cause a serious problem!!! How in the world this ADA seat (#5486) isn't secured with bolts?!?!?! This whole f'ing seat can fall completely off!!! Don't they have inspections frequently???? Like damn man...... :(:angry::o

post-1364-0-28077900-1429312364_thumb.jp

Quick question, is Midway yard the only yard that provides wheel trueing for the 5000's? 5311-5312,5199-5200 was in the yard this evening on track 4 or 5, 5311 has the T-Mobile ad wrap on it. I'm not saying that 5000's are moving to the Orange line, but the last time 5000's were sitting in Midway yard they were there to have their wheels trued. So I was just wondering.

• Upvote 2

Quick question, is Midway yard the only yard that provides wheel trueing for the 5000's? 5311-5312,5199-5200 was in the yard this evening on track 4 or 5, 5311 has the T-Mobile ad wrap on it. I'm not saying that 5000's are moving to the Orange line, but the last time 5000's were sitting in Midway yard they were there to have their wheels trued. So I was just wondering.

That might be the Shuttle Train for the Brown Line reroute over the weekend. I don't know what equipment is used for Shuttle Trains typically.

A little birdie told me on Sunday we might see some #2400's on the system. There's supposed to be a charter. They will be running the yellow, brown, orange, green, pink but not the blue. :( Have #2400's ever been to O'Hare? I know out of service ones have been to rosemont yard and they did run them to Jeff Pk back in the day. I guess I'm the only one that remembers this. Now that would be a good charter.

A little birdie told me on Sunday we might see some #2400's on the system. There's supposed to be a charter. They will be running the yellow, brown, orange, green, pink but not the blue. :( Have #2400's ever been to O'Hare? I know out of service ones have been to rosemont yard and they did run them to Jeff Pk back in the day. I guess I'm the only one that remembers this. Now that would be a good charter.

What's the charter for? What time of day will they be running?

What's the charter for? What time of day will they be running?

It's one of those pay charters like they had some for the #2200's. It starts at Dempster/Yellow at 9AM. It sounds like an all day charter. It's going to Kimball, Midway, Harlem/Lake, Ashland/63rd, 54th/Cermak. I don't have other specific times yet, but they will be running four cars. So if the Brown line connector is closed how will they get to the loop? via Orange/Green line? They didn't say it would run the red line but it has no other way to connect.

That explains why I saw a set of the farewell 2400-series cars at Howard two days ago- probably undergoing an inspection.

...Have #2400's ever been to O'Hare? I know out of service ones have been to rosemont yard and they did run them to Jeff Pk back in the day. I guess I'm the only one that remembers this. Now that would be a good charter.

​I really want to say yes, even if they have been out of service. But even on the Snowflake Specials I've been on we've only been up to Jefferson Park on 2400s. There was one Snowflake Special trip where the 2400s almost went up to O'Hare, but since they were having problems with other cars in the consist, we were late and only went to Jefferson Park. Maybe earlier Snowflake Specials went to O'Hare.

Have #2400's ever been to O'Hare? I know out of service ones have been to rosemont yard and they did run them to Jeff Pk back in the day. I guess I'm the only one that remembers this. Now that would be a good charter.

​I believe they have, but long, long ago. I recall riding them from Harlem when I was in college and, if memory serves, the "Mr T" advertisement I swiped for an elderly co-worker came from a 2400 en route from O'Hare. Mind you, that was almost 30 years ago and my memory is a little fuzzy.Time and having consumed several Long Island Iced Teas that night have a habit of doing that. :)

Edited by rvwnsd

​I believe they have, but long, long ago. I recall riding them from Harlem when I was in college and, if memory serves, the "Mr T" advertisement I swiped for an elderly co-worker came from a 2400 en route from O'Hare. Mind you, that was almost 30 years ago and my memory is a little fuzzy.Time and having consumed several Long Island Iced Teas that night have a habit of doing that. :)

​My memory is kind of fuzzy. I was on one of the first trains to O'Hare a #2600 and I didn't really recall seeing #2400's out there. I think for me it's a question of when they were transferred off the line. Was it before the O 'Hare opening, (9/3/84 was the opening date) or after the opening? There is actually a video of a 1947-48 era #5000 at O'Hare if you watch the 90 years of Chicago traction video, but he doesn't really show any #2400's either.

Edited by BusHunter

​My memory is kind of fuzzy. I was on one of the first trains to O'Hare a #2600 and I didn't really recall seeing #2400's out there. I think for me it's a question of when they were transferred off the line. Was it before the O 'Hare opening, (9/3/84 was the opening date) or after the opening? There is actually a video of a 1947-48 era #5000 at O'Hare if you watch the 90 years of Chicago traction video, but he doesn't really show any #2400's either.

​2400's were taken off WNW (and RV) in early 1982 after the "Great Blizzard" when the 2000's and 2200's on West-South totally crapped out. Initially it was supposed to be "temporary" but became permanent.

• Upvote 1