5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

I'm guessing there isn't much hope for the Orange Line getting 5000s. I presume the reason is for no lines to have incompatible cars. Looks like Orange will have to wait for the 7000s, although I presume the Blue Line will probably get them first since it is all 2600s.

After all, the 7000s were originally supposed to be compatible with the 5000s, but now that probably isn't happening since that requirement was removed in the latest RFP. The plans for the Orange Line to get 5000s were made before this change in RFP specifications, and because of this change CTA probably prefers to make the Orange Line 100% 7000s in the future while keeping the remaining 5000s on order as spares for the Red, Purple, Yellow, Green, and Pink Lines.

What's the capacity at Midway yard and I know Blue has a lot of space since they have yards on both ends.

When i was at Skokie, they had about 10-12 #2600 cars in the bays and they also have a few on the shop tracks, so the Blue I don't think really stores 400, more like maybe 360-380. They were pretty stockpiled before when they had 344 cars and 30 ready for scrap #2200's. Forest Pk is really kind of small like a 54th, maybe they can store 100-120. That would still leave 240 at least at Rosemont. I don't see how they could have that space, but they can always put 8 more cars in the unused 3rd track tunnel at O'Hare. 54th has space for 100 cars, but that's no longer a part of the blue line, so they lost that yard to store blue line stuff. Orange line had extra space, maybe not anymore and Racine yard on the Green has space, Brown and Red are at capacity. I suppose they could have 560 #2600's, if everything was at capacity, but what's the point especially when the #7000's are coming?

.... I suppose they could have 560 #2600's, if everything was at capacity, but what's the point especially when the #7000's are coming?

The 7000s aren't coming at least until 2019, but there are only supposed to be 400 2600s then.

An aside, but by the same token, why is CTA saying that they are hoarding 6400s until 2019? We need Carnac the Magnificent to figure either out.

Since you and sw like these clips:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZFQFf_Vb0Hw

• Upvote 2

Personally I'd put a switch or crossover on the unused Red-Orange/Green incline so that Roosevelt trains could use that to turn back.

I was thinking the same thing, but I'm not sure if there are restrictions to having crossovers on inclines. That's definitely the best place to put one if they can put them on inclines.

The 7000s aren't coming at least until 2019, but there are only supposed to be 400 2600s then.

An aside, but by the same token, why is CTA saying that they are hoarding 6400s until 2019? We need Carnac the Magnificent to figure either out.

Since you and sw like these clips:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZFQFf_Vb0Hw

Where did you hear that about the #6400's, they have a scrap contract out now for everything except what's at FG for this year and they are actively retiring, a roster would help. I assume that they will have another bid contract at the end of the year for the rest next year, because FG should be losing those next year.

BTW, I was on #6689 last night on the #54 with it's updated clever device and it sounds a little beat up. I wonder should they choose to retire it, can the updated clever device be put on something else without too much trouble? (We can't think all the 74th buses are the best now could we) It probably would have been smarter to put those on buses from #6883 to #6709 instead of below it because those will probably have the higher success rate than the older ones, but #6401 looks pretty good for an old bus.

Where did you hear that about the #6400's, they have a scrap contract out now for everything except what's at FG for this year and they are actively retiring, a roster would help. I assume that they will have another bid contract at the end of the year for the rest next year, because FG should be losing those next year.....

In the CMAQ proposal for the 25 electric buses. Go back to that thread and that proposal.

I always thought they did use that as a turnback, but maybe that would explain why during the fire at Armitage, the Brown line trains went all the way to 35th/Bronzeville-IIT before turning around. I don't see why they can't use the middle tunnel to turn them around if that's not what they do already.

Here is your problem. That middle track you are referring to is an actual live track...for NB Red Line trains. To do what you are proposing would require holding a Brown Line train going SB at Roosevelt (delaying SB REd trains) until the motorman does a walk through ensuring the train is empty AND wait for a NB REd line train passed through. Next you would pull that train onto the track, but you'd have to go far enough so that you don't "park" the train on an incline. Assuming these trains were eight cars, the motorman would have to walk the entire length of the train and get heading back north before another NB Red comes through. The only other alternative for letting Browns go all the way to 63rd would be to reroute them via the 13th incline then onto Green Line tracks to 35th. Those trains can be short turned on the middle track at 37th and there would be very little interference with Green Line service as the frequency on that line is not as high as on the Red. I believe this was actually done last year sometime and it was done during the Wells St bridge reconstruction.

In the CMAQ proposal for the 25 electric buses. Go back to that thread and that proposal.

Ok I see what you mean, but that totally doesn't make sense. First of all, they mention 300 #7900's which would make sense to keep 179 #6400's, as they can't replace the #6400 fleet with 300 buses, but 450 are coming according to the budget. Does CTA have the storage for 150 buses more?? Maybe if they stored at 77th/South Shops but really that makes no sense. I would have to agree with what you said earlier that they are BSing the feds*. Also just cause they ask for 25 buses doesn't mean they will get them. The 2 #700's they got was originally a request for 5, but the feds only gave them 2 buses.

Also the implications of that is FG will have buses that will be 17 years old, and we are complaining about 13 years!! They would still get 100 buses that are not #6400's. But really by 2019, they should be looking at buses to replace the #1000's as they will be 13 years old.

* Maybe because they only have 300 #7900's on order and the 150 are the not as yet exercised options, maybe there is a time window that they can file an application and not really be BSing, but it's a stretch.

Ok I see what you mean, but that totally doesn't make sense. First of all, they mention 300 #7900's which would make sense to keep 179 #6400's, as they can't replace the #6400 fleet with 300 buses, but 450 are coming according to the budget. Does CTA have the storage for 150 buses more?? Maybe if they stored at 77th/South Shops but really that makes no sense. I would have to agree with what you said earlier that they are BSing the feds*. Also just cause they ask for 25 buses doesn't mean they will get them. The 2 #700's they got was originally a request for 5, but the feds only gave them 2 buses.

Also the implications of that is FG will have buses that will be 17 years old, and we are complaining about 13 years!! They would still get 100 buses that are not #6400's. But really by 2019, they should be looking at buses to replace the #1000's as they will be 13 years old.

* Maybe because they only have 300 #7900's on order and the 150 are the not as yet exercised options, maybe there is a time window that they can file an application and not really be BSing, but it's a stretch.

This is the 5000 Series rail car thread, what are buses doing here?

• Upvote 5

You're kidding me right? Up votes??? What are concerning about up votes doing here??? :lol:

This got irrelevant to the cars pretty quickly. I'll admit that I started it by mentioning that CTA was hoarding both rail cars and buses, but if I were replying, I would have used multiquote and moved the reply. Nonetheless, nobody does.

Now, let is get back to figuring out why CTA is apparently up to 1460 rail cars, instead of either the former 1190 or the projected 1360 if scrapping of 2600s were continuing at a rate that would result in about 400 at the end of the order for 5000s.

Shots of #5639-40 @ Fullerton. Also, a shot of the security camera on the run number box that I was talking about.

That last security camera pic, I want to say you are anywhere between Garfield and 79th, but I cannot remember for the life of me where that was taken. Good shots, however!

What are the last numbers of the 5000's going to be?

That last security camera pic, I want to say you are anywhere between Garfield and 79th, but I cannot remember for the life of me where that was taken. Good shots, however!

What are the last numbers of the 5000's going to be?

Seemingly that is an entrance/exit ramp northbound, so I would narrow it down to between Marquette and 79th.

That last security camera pic, I want to say you are anywhere between Garfield and 79th....

One can always Google what is in the background, in this case is Andee Boiler and Welding, 7649 S. State Street.

A lot easier than when someone was trying to identify where the Nortran bus was (turned out to be Lincoln).

I observed all 5400's are on the Purple line and no 2600's running. However, the Purple 2600's are at 98th Yard...will they get shifted to Blue and Orange? Haven't seen them much on Red either last week.

They're at the other end of the line? I guess we found the CTA of Carmen Sandiego. I think R/P/Y is about to become fully 5000 series. 98th is really considered a yard? That always looked light a holding bay for around 5-7 trains, unless a portion is underground.

I observed all 5400's are on the Purple line and no 2600's running. However, the Purple 2600's are at 98th Yard...will they get shifted to Blue and Orange? Haven't seen them much on Red either last week.

Yeah, I took a look at the Red and Purple lines today. Purple line is all #5000's now. I guess they were worried about 3 track. :P

I need to update the roster but Purple should have #5399 - #5502. The Red line is still running the #2600's. I saw two consists in service. Looks like what they did was combined the old Purple line and Red line #2600's together. A couple cars I saw today were #2719-20 and #2705-06, both were from the old Purple line #2600's. Looks like they have the 66 cars on the Red, but like the Orange line #2400's, some just sit in the yard and don't go into service, about 30-40.

BtW, I saw #5631-32 and #5633-34 both on the Red line.

Yeah, I took a look at the Red and Purple lines today. Purple line is all #5000's now. I guess they were worried about 3 track. :P

I need to update the roster but Purple should have #5399 - #5502. The Red line is still running the #2600's. I saw two consists in service. Looks like what they did was combined the old Purple line and Red line #2600's together. A couple cars I saw today were #2719-20 and #2705-06, both were from the old Purple line #2600's. Looks like they have the 66 cars on the Red, but like the Orange line #2400's, some just sit in the yard and don't go into service, about 30-40.

BtW, I saw #5631-32 and #5633-34 both on the Red line.

Your Red Line roster of 5000's counts to 344. Also, the beginning of it should say 5183-5398, not 5183-5397.

But it sure is hard to believe that the Purple Line fleet is finally fully upgraded.

... 98th is really considered a yard? That always looked light a holding bay for around 5-7 trains, unless a portion is underground.

Yard extends down the middle of the Bishop Ford (I-94) to about the equivalent of 99th and Indiana (map). I take it that your trip from Washington D.C. does not include coming through South Holland.

Your Red Line roster of 5000's counts to 344. Also, the beginning of it should say 5183-5398, not 5183-5397.

But it sure is hard to believe that the Purple Line fleet is finally fully upgraded.

Yeah. It's almost as hard to believe as when the Pink and Green lines were upgraded to operating exclusively with 5000s.