5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

Weren't they supposed to get a new escalator in six months? It's been 11 months now since that happened. If any station needed the granite floor treatment, it's that one. That's supposed to be a showcase station and it looks like it has gone through battle.

Get out of the station and you'll find a moving walkway that's been out of service since 2006. But that's not under the CTA's control.

I wonder if the floors can be redone without disrupting service. At least O'Hare has two platforms.

Get out of the station and you'll find a moving walkway that's been out of service since 2006. But that's not under the CTA's control.

I wonder if the floors can be redone without disrupting service. At least O'Hare has two platforms.

They did the Clark/Lake subway stop's granite floor without any shutdown.

What I mean is when CTA management finally decides to be more fair in its distribution of its new or rehabbed equipment for both buses and trains and stops being selfish, pigheaded and political about it, then we can say its a "major" step for the agency and for the city! Right now, Sorry! but its not even close!!! Theres one area of the city that has not benefited for a long, long time!. No new buses in twelve years and new L cars in over thirty years! No replacements coming for another five to six years! Not sure where you reside but If you live on the NW side you'd see what I mean!!! Perhaps I see things differently here but Im just frustrated at the fact our buses are old our train cars are old. All this new bus and rail equipment coming online in this city, rehabbed equipment as well and none of it serving areas on the far NW side of the city where it is badly needed! Im still seeing buses I helped put in service as a bus operator more than ten years ago! Im still seeing, (no longer riding) train cars that were put into service when I was a pre-teen! Im 44 years old now! I was big user of CTA in my neighborhood. We have good bus and rail service in this area, including Pace!. But you get to a point when you get tired of seeing the same equipment day after day after day! Year after year! While all other areas of the city are benefiting from new or rehabbed equipment and no new equipment scheduled to arrive anytime in the near future! Regardless what anyone here thinks or says, there is more than enough in the way of new or rehabbed buses and trains to distribute to all parts of the city! Why no new equipment is making its way to this area of the city, either to Forest Glen Garage or the Blue Line is just pathetic, selfish and biased of CTA management! They should be ashamed of themselves to be treating the NW side residents this way who ride public transit which is just as heavily used as any part of this city! Just like every blogger on this site, I like to think I have pride in our buses and trains but I cant say this! Instead Im ashamed of CTA and its practices. I don't know what kind of people they have running the system who are making these ridiculous, stupid decisions to be sending old, beat up buses and trains this way. I would like to see something from CTA that I would love to share with everyone here. But unfortunately theres nothing here to talk about except all the "hand me down" buses and trains were getting! When CTA begins to demonstrate that it is fair to all areas of the city, then I can say that this is a step forward!

I hear your sentiment but at the end of the day, whether the equipment is brand new or 100 years old, as long as it gets people to where they need to be in a safe and (reasonably timely manner by CTA standards) it really doesn't matter. People don't care how old the bus or traincar they're riding on is as long as it gets them to work on time.

• Upvote 3

I hear your sentiment but at the end of the day, whether the equipment is brand new or 100 years old, as long as it gets people to where they need to be in a safe and (reasonably timely manner by CTA standards) it really doesn't matter. People don't care how old the bus or traincar they're riding on is as long as it gets them to work on time.

But when you have 2 totally unexplainable crashes with this equipment on the Blue Line, people are going to lose confidence in the Blue Line, even if they don't keep equipment rosters. The one at Harlem in Forest Park clearly seems to be a rail car failure of some type.

But when you have 2 totally unexplainable crashes with this equipment on the Blue Line, people are going to lose confidence in the Blue Line, even if they don't keep equipment rosters. The one at Harlem in Forest Park clearly seems to be a rail car failure of some type.

Hey at least the Blue line gets all the cool wrapped cars. They have the Discovery Cove car I was on yesterday #3195-96 that looks like an aquarium inside and the Space Florida cars, I think there's two different sets of these. Then there's the Florida tourism cars. I guess they are trying to tell us to go to Florida. :huh: But I heard Miami was in the 40's last week. Bring the jackets out of the closet!!

• Upvote 3

Even then, as long as the Blue Line is the only game in town from a affordability/convince aspect. Even all of these accidents don't matter. If you look at the stats, 2 (or 3 or so accidents that I can think of) out of the hundreds of trips every day for the past 10 years, getting into an accident should be the least of people's concerns.

Unfortunately, CTA did not keep the specs for the 84 "Airport Express" cars. If they could've modified it some, then those cars could've possibly seen service on the Blue Line. As it is now, only the 2600s and the 3200s would be able to serve travelers on that route. Where would luggage go now on a current 5000 series car? Only ansers would be the aisle, the seats, or the two accessible areas on each car (which already get used for luggage on the 2600s. Heck, even overheade luggage racks could be built for luggage space. It is probably not a spec for the 7000s but should be considered.

Yes, the riders can get on a bus or train and not care what the age of it is!!! Its not their job to know how old their bus or train car they're riding in! But with the heavy use they get, the equipment wears out after time. But it is CTA's job to make sure that equipment is safe to ride on! The Blue Line lately have had equipment issues! Gee!!! I wonder why!!! Its not that people dont care how old the equipment is! Its the fact they may not be aware of how old the equipment is!!! The riding public is oblivious to this! All they see is a bus or train! Passenger safety should be CTA's number #1 priority!

Yes, the riders can get on a bus or train and not care what the age of it is!!! Its not their job to know how old their bus or train car they're riding in! But with the heavy use they get, the equipment wears out after time. But it is CTA's job to make sure that equipment is safe to ride on! The Blue Line lately have had equipment issues! Gee!!! I wonder why!!! Its not that people dont care how old the equipment is! Its the fact they may not be aware of how old the equipment is!!! The riding public is oblivious to this! All they see is a bus or train! Passenger safety should be CTA's number #1 priority!

Equipment doesn't have to be new to be safe, and equipment isn't necessariy safe just because its new. Remember the 5000s were pulled out of service, Remember the NABI buses were pulled out of service barely 3 years into service, Time will fix this. The 2600s can't run forever.

While a bus is a bus to most passengers, as they get closer to the FTA retirement age(12 years), the vehicles start to require more maintenance and more of the higher end priced maintenance(transmission, major engine components, etc...). I took the Irving Park bus last night and the guy waiting the shelter before me was swearing up a storm because he was waiting 30+ minutes for a EB bus. When it finally came(#6606), it was running fine, but that guy was not a happy camper. Another passenger a few stops east also made mention about the long wait for the bus. (There were initially two headed to Broadway due in 10 minutes, but one vanished off the tracker..... breakdown perhaps?)

Now Irving Park is usually a decent wait time route(avg. time, 8-15 min for a bus), so I think that an all 6400-Series roster might be catching up to them now if these buses are that far apart on a route that is usually good on bus service. The Novas are probably giving out in record numbers, thinning out the roster at FG and affecting service. Just as a reference, I saw the bus shelter crawl at Irving and Pulaski while we were picking up passengers and it said the next 80 to Broadway was in 28 minutes.... yikes!!!

Hell, I rather take a Flyer D901A or a New Look (preferably fish bowl) than a crapped up Nova at Forest Glen!!! Where's #9970 when I need it?!?!? :):P:D:lol:B)

• Upvote 5

Hell, I rather take a Flyer D901A or a New Look (preferably fish bowl) than a crapped up Nova at Forest Glen!!! Where's #9970 when I need it?!?!? :):P:D:lol:B)

God No! I hated the D901A's when I had to ride them on the Addison bus back in high school. Getting the Nova's back then were a godsend to me!

Equipment doesn't have to be new to be safe, and equipment isn't necessariy safe just because its new. Remember the 5000s were pulled out of service, Remember the NABI buses were pulled out of service barely 3 years into service, Time will fix this. The 2600s can't run forever.

Exactly, I feel as long as you maintain your equipment properly, safety is not an issue. It's when you start cutting corners on maintenance that problems start to arise. In the USAF, the F-22's we're just recently purchased and now they're basically hangar queens vs. the B-52, U-2, C-130, and KC-135 surpassing 50 years of service and still have lots of service life left in their airframes. I don't know about you but if I was confronted with a herd of ISIS fighters, I would be very happy an "old hunk of junk" such as a B-52 and/or a AC-130 happened to be in the area! lol

Also, it seems when it comes to equipment upgrades, it happens in "cycles" I.E. when new equipment arrives, it goes to one line/area, and when the next batch of new equipment arrives it goes to another line/area and so on and so forth. People just have to be patient. Their time for a new, shiny toys will come! lol The silver lining in the Blue Line having all 2600's is that every train has normal seating versus the stupid seating on the 5000's but that's another conversation for another day...

• Upvote 1

I remember when I first started at CTA back in 1997 When I reported to Kedzie Garage seeing those Flyer D901s lined up in the parking area for me, just put a smile on my face! :) I couldnt believe I would be driving these buses not to mention also seeing my favorite Flyer bus at Kedzie, #9844 which originally had a Cummins engine, by the time I got to Kedzie (9844) had a DD 6V92, I remember first driving it on the 82 Kimball/Homan and on 156 Lasalle. The bus was later involved in an accident on the west side and subsequently never returning to service! :(

I remember when I first started at cTA back in 1997 When I reported to Kedzie Garage. Seeing those Flyer D901s lined up in the parking area for me, just put a smile on my face! :) I couldnt believe I would be driving these buses not to mention also seeing my favorite Flyer bus at Kedzie, #9844 which originally had a Cummins engine, by the time I got to Kedzie (9844) had a DD 6V92! :)

You are one lucky fella!!!! :lol::)

God No! I hated the D901A's when I had to ride them on the Addison bus back in high school. Getting the Nova's back then were a godsend to me!

I hated them too. The Beverly garage didn't receive ANY 9000 or 9600 GMCs, and I believe was the only garage not to. Nut the Far South Side garage was the first to receive that crap known as the 9800 series. They stayed there until the opening of the 103rd/Stony Island garage. Then 77th and 103rd did some swapping. 77th gave up its Americanas and MAN articulateds to 103rd in exchange for the Flyers. Also 77th gave up the 6 Jeffery Express and the 14 S Lake Shore Express( though 77th did provide some rush hour service on those routes) along with the 27 S Deering, 28 Stony Island. Those routes went to 103rd. I believe once 77th started receiving the 6000 series Flxbles they gave up the Flyers and I believe some went to ARcher.amd maybe the rest to Kedzie.

Back to topic. I believe at some point Orange has to see some 5000s I'm thinking the 3200s get taken from the Orange, rehabbed and sent to Brown. When the Brown has all rehabbed cars, the remaining 3200s get sent to Blue once those cars are rehabbed. They are compatible with the 2600s. then the 2600s can be belly cars with 3200s on the ends.

I hope they figure this mess out one way or another because this is becoming very senseless while the 2600s are still on Red and Purple Lines while Blue Line consistently getting dumped with more 2600s. They can't handle with all that equipment because maintenance is going to be a b---h when the time comes. Speaking of 7000s, if they don't get this s--t together with the Blue Line, especially on the west side, it's going to be hell to pay when the 7000s arrived and can possibly get trumped by another line when it comes to who's getting them first.

I don't wanna say this, but they can send the remaining 2600's on the Red and Purple Lines to Orange. I tend to agree because like Forest Glen is getting dumped with old equipment Blue is getting dumped with old equipment and I would give Blue the 1st crack at the 7000's.

I don't wanna say this, but they can send the remaining 2600's on the Red and Purple Lines to Orange. I tend to agree because like Forest Glen is getting dumped with old equipment Blue is getting dumped with old equipment and I would give Blue the 1st crack at the 7000's.

I'll be honest and say that the management on behalf of the Orange has done a hell of a job maintaining the 2600s.

North/Northwest side needs first crack at everything. Wouldn't be surprised if in the next few years they started getting old Metra and Pace buses/trains. Although the Eldos' serve NW area, so there goes that arguement

One word from me..... Inexcusable!!!

Two words from him.... :P:lol:

http://youtu.be/cNX_wGyKhmM

But you didn't even get to see the pictures I took of #5630 and #5628!! :P They doubled back from 95th and I was so enjoying riding a forward facing seat on the #3200's in the Red line subway that it delayed me enough for them to pass me at State/Lake Nb. But they were taken with my cameraphone as I wasn't planning on filming them, so you'll have to excuse the quality of the shots. So i guess you'll have to hire me back for a few minutes anyway!! :lol:

Here we go

#5628: post-304-0-51891400-1425269173_thumb.png

#5630: post-304-0-75517400-1425269108_thumb.png

Now answer me this question. See that Orange tag on #5628. I'm told that tag means the ATC is not working on that car. So the question then remains, how come the ATC doesn't work on a new car?

BTW, I was up at Skokie Shops, the yard is so packed to the left of the shop there is no longer any room to put anything. Anything else and it will have to go in front of the bay doors!! Looked like alot of #2600's and possibly #3200's. That would seem to correspond to a #3200's rehab happening soon. Don't know why I saw #2600's unless there is no where else to stick them or they are all defective.