5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

That's why I excluded 63-Cottage Grove branch, as the Red Line only used the 63-Ashland branch, and it appears that the Cottage Grove station can't accommodate them (nor that that branch has the passenger demand).

When this part of the Green Line branch was redone back in the early to mid-90s, it seems like the shortening of Cottage Grove's platform from 8 to 6 car capacity was intentional (If I'm wrong, I stand corrected). Additionally, since then the old 61st Street Yard is practically unused, for the exception of maybe a few pieces of track maintenance equipment and a pair of decommissioned 2200s.

Is it possible that within the next few years, the East 63rd branch of the Green Line will be abandoned?????

When this part of the Green Line branch was redone back in the early to mid-90s, it seems like the shortening of Cottage Grove's platform from 8 to 6 car capacity was intentional (If I'm wrong, I stand corrected). Additionally, the old 61st Street Yard is practically unused, for the exception of maybe a few pieces of track maintenance equipment and a pair of decommissioned 2200s.

Is it possible that within the next few years, the East 63rd branch of the Green Line will be abandoned?????

The main mid-90s effect was that the structure was cut back to Maryland Ave.

Whether it is abandoned probably depends on (1) whether there is any neighborhood sentiment, one way or the other, and (2) if there is any service life on the two stations that the FTA would need to waive (according to Chicago-l.org, there was some work east of Maryland Ave. that the FTA did waive the service life requirement, and you have other stuff such as that the 58th station is there, but not being used). Of course, that stuff is another 18 years of water over the dam from where it was at the time of the rehab.

Although hopefully the 7000s will be closer to "futuristic" than the 5000s...

If nothing else, they didn't put on the 5000s some things originally specified for the 7000s, such as flat screen maps instead of the dots with the mylar map overlay. At least they retrofitted the destination signs.

I don't know if allowing alternatives for the exterior doors and the like will make them more advanced, though.

If nothing else, they didn't put on the 5000s some things originally specified for the 7000s, such as flat screen maps instead of the dots with the mylar map overlay. At least they retrofitted the destination signs.

I don't know if allowing alternatives for the exterior doors and the like will make them more advanced, though.

Supposedly they'll have air brakes, which will be a weird sound to hear given that all rail vehicles I've seen on the 'L' in the past have mechanical brakes (or something along those lines). The flat screens inside will be pretty cool too. I always thought it would be cool to have some sort of light bar near each door that would light up with the color of the line the vehicle's on when the door opens.

This 5000-series CTA L Train has got a lot of electronic features and it's very innovative!

Well I don't know if "innovative" is right...maybe compared only to the past CTA stock but compared to other transit agencies, they're a bit behind-the-times still...

"Innovative" would be autonomous-driven vehicles with LCD screens all over the place inside...

It's somewhere in the procurement spec for the 7000s, along with the part about different types of doors (i.e. outer-sliding or plug doors instead of pocket-sliding)

That's what came up with the disc brake discussion. The specs said that current cars had hydraulic assist, but pneumatic would be an acceptable alternative.

However, I don't think they were relying on air brakes in the sense that a freight railroad does.

And of course I'm surprised that one "expert" didn't get the specs.

I found the part about the brakes:

Section 10.07 B "describes the Baseline requirements for a spring applied hydraulic released friction brake system. In addition to the Baseline Proposal, the Proposer shall provide two additional Alternative Proposals. Alternative 4 shall be a pneumatic disk [sic] brake system and Alternative 5 shall be a pneumatic tread brake system."

So it sounds like pneumatic disc brakes are an option, which would probably be similar to what you'd find on a bus or what they have on systems such as the Washington, D.C. metro.

I also found the part about the doors (Section 6.01 A):

The existing door system in use at CTA is a sliding pocket type door system. The Proposer may propose sliding pocket type, sliding plug/micro-plug, or exterior sliding door system.

• Upvote 2

So it sounds like pneumatic disc brakes are an option, which would probably be similar to what you'd find on a bus or what they have on systems such as the Washington, D.C. metro.

As far as bus, maybe a hybrid bus, as similar to a hybrid, whatever would have to sync up with the regenerative braking.

Busjack, on 15 Feb 2015 - 14:06, said:

As far as bus, maybe a hybrid bus, as similar to a hybrid, whatever would have to sync up with the regenerative braking.

I believe WMATA's trains use regenerative braking as well; they have all-A.C. stock so I wouldn't be surprised. I don't think it's that difficult to sync air brakes up with regenerative if there's a compressor/control system per car.

I read it, although I'm not sure if I'm remembering the part about the brakes correctly. I'm positive about the door options.

That's what came up with the disc brake discussion. The specs said that current cars had hydraulic assist, but pneumatic would be an acceptable alternative.

However, I don't think they were relying on air brakes in the sense that a freight railroad does.

And of course I'm surprised that one "expert" didn't get the specs.

Surprised.....LOL. I am uninterested. I wait till the prototypes are finished. Thanks for you help, though. Briman94 doesn't know how much we've had in developing our all-electric braking since the 40s. We don't air just for a sound, LOL.

Surprised.....LOL. I am uninterested. I wait till the prototypes are finished. Thanks for you help, though. Briman94 doesn't know how much we've had in developing our all-electric braking since the 40s. We don't air just for a sound, LOL.

I think the bottom line is you can't ignore the official facts...nobody ever said we wanted air brakes "just for a sound" but the CTA required bidders to include air brakes in their proposal, and the point was that it would be another unique system on the CTA.

I think the bottom line is you can't ignore the official facts...nobody ever said we wanted air brakes "just for a sound" but the CTA required bidders to include air brakes in their proposal, and the point was that it would be another unique system on the CTA.

I think some people are reading the written proposal wrong. "Supposedly they'll have air brakes, which will be a weird sound to hear given that all rail vehicles I've seen on the 'L' in the past have mechanical brakes (or something along those lines)." There was nothing that you or Busjack cited that would lead a person to come to an idea that the 7000s would have "air brakes."