5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

The moral of the story is, just be careful and watch your surroundings when taking photos. When something different appears, many get excited and flip the camera out. It's always nice to capture the moment, but just be aware of the surrounds.

Now, back to our featured presentation!

Just spotted #5173-74 on the Green Line @ Roosevelt. I assume they got #5169-72 also. I wondering if they're going to get the rest up to #5198-99 and have the Red Line start at #5200-01???

They have to 5169-72 & I think the Red Line will have the 5000 series start at 5201 since the Green needs more cars & Green keeps swapping cars with Pink, so that makes sense in terms of my prediction.

They have to 5169-72 & I think the Red Line will have the 5000 series start at 5201 since the Green needs more cars & Green keeps swapping cars with Pink, so that makes sense in terms of my prediction.

It would make sense but I was also thinking about can that give the Pink Line more flexibility to run 6 cars during rush hours instead of just for special events.

It would make sense but I was also thinking about can that give the Pink Line more flexibility to run 6 cars during rush hours instead of just for special events.

Except for that period of time when Pink first got 5000s I have never seen them run 6 cars especially during rush hour. I wonder what the crowd volume is like for Pink to be running 4 cars especially during rush hour.

Except for that period of time when Pink first got 5000s I have never seen them run 6 cars especially during rush hour. I wonder what the crowd volume is like for Pink to be running 4 cars especially during rush hour.

The crowd volume is very moderate but the most volume is coming from Medical District and Pilsen.

The crowd volume is very moderate but the most volume is coming from Medical District and Pilsen.

Makes sense. The Pink Line may be more convenient for those who ride between the Loop and Polk than taking the UIC and Rush shuttle buses. UIC says its commuter shuttle, which serves a similar area for the Illinois Medical District, runs at 20 minute intervals. The Pink Line runs at 10 to 12 minute intervals, according to its timetable.

• Upvote 1

Makes sense. The Pink Line may be more convenient for those who ride between the Loop and Polk than taking the UIC and Rush shuttle buses. UIC says its commuter shuttle, which serves a similar area for the Illinois Medical District, runs at 20 minute intervals. The Pink Line runs at 10 to 12 minute intervals, according to its timetable.

Indeed you're correct.

333-334 are on Purple Line run 517 today...is that a borrow or permanent move?

More than likely it's a borrow because Purple has been known to borrow cars off of Red from time to time.

Imagine it as a ride sharing program! :P:lol:

I would have to agree with this terminology since Red, Purple, and Yellow all operate out of the same terminal.

I saw it go by NB on the elevated tracks near Armitage during the incident at N/Clybourn. I think there's only one consist left.

I saw 3 2600-series consists in a row heading NB on the Dan Ryan branch last night. I don't know the time, but it was most likely after 6. I don't know where on the branch I saw them, but I'm pretty sure was south of Garfield.

That's a good question...seems like the Orange line might benefit from taking some of the excess? :D They might not have yard space yet, but it seems like moving so many from Red to Green is a bit silly

Yeah I was thinking maybe they are trying to send the lowest #5000's on the Green line to the Orange line because yesterday there wasn't that many low cars in service on the Green line. It seems like business as usual on the Pink line.

This morning I saw an 8-car 5000 (Not In Service) going West on Lake st. in the loop; I was on a Red Line going East on Lake (thanks, reroute...) so it was a bit hard to see the numbers but I believe it was 133-4, 177-8, 111-12, and two others I couldn't catch. Just now I saw another 8-car NIS going South from Armitage on the elevated tracks directly behind a Red Line. I'd assume these are being moved to Green?

• Upvote 1