5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

I'm happy to report that 5551 and 5552 are currently present in the Midway yard. They're at the North end of the yard in between a pair of 2600s and another mixed consist of 32s and 26s, but alas, they're there. I saw a couple employees walking around them inspecting the underbody components, maybe for maintenance training. Unfortunately I didn't spot them soon enough to get out my phone and snap a picture :(.

Here's my ultra-geeky Google Maps pin of their approximate location because I had nothing better to do on my ride back inbound :Phttp://goo.gl/maps/cgKZm

So is that a sign that the Orange Line is finally receiving 5000's? :lol:

So, if the Orange Line gets over 100 5000-series, does that mean that its 3200-series cars will be sent to the Blue Line? I know that has been rumored in the past.

Orange Line has 2600's too. Some of those will probably return to the Blue Line, the Brown Line will get some of the 3200's from the Orange Line(maybe 3270-3275 to the break between Brown/Orange Line cars).

What will be interesting is what will be operating on the Brown Line next year when the 3200's begin rotating out of service for rehab. Will they use Orange Line stock(which may include any newly-assigned 5000's)?

Does Howard yard have to be 100% 5000 series before anyone else gets a chance at them?

I would think that the answer to that (and 98th and Linden) would be yes, since they aren't compatible with anything else. Can't justify the Yellow and Purple Lines any other way.

If they are going to Midway Yard, I still wonder if they permanently contemplate mixed operations there, since the 7000s won't be compatible either.

Orange Line has 2600's too. Some of those will probably return to the Blue Line, the Brown Line will get some of the 3200's from the Orange Line(maybe 3270-3275 to the break between Brown/Orange Line cars).

What will be interesting is what will be operating on the Brown Line next year when the 3200's begin rotating out of service for rehab. Will they use Orange Line stock(which may include any newly-assigned 5000's)?

Kind of an interesting question there. A supervisor said they were having problems with #2600's on the Brown line making blue light cars. I forget why (something about the curves) but they said that the brownages were all #3200's now and the #2600's are staying on the Orange line because of it. I haven't really seen if they are or not. But in saying that when the #3200's go out for rehab they will be in a catch-22. They can't send #3200's to Orange from Brown to replace #3200's gone to rehab because then that means Brown can't use #2600's. So that can only mean #5000's will be making those brownage trips unless they can solve the problem. They could always keep a few #2600's around for the Orange during the rehab but don't ask me where they are going to get the space to do that.

I would think that the answer to that (and 98th and Linden) would be yes, since they aren't compatible with anything else. Can't justify the Yellow and Purple Lines any other way.

If they are going to Midway Yard, I still wonder if they permanently contemplate mixed operations there, since the 7000s won't be compatible either.

Long term the Orange line #5000's will most likely be destined for the Red line's 130th extension and possible expansion of 10 car trains. The orange line will be #7000's along with the blue line and brown.

Kind of an interesting question there. A supervisor said they were having problems with #2600's on the Brown line making blue light cars.....

Must be something new, since they ran some mixed 3200s-2600s on the Brown Line (chicago-l.org indicates 18 2600s in 2003).

Long term the Orange line #5000's will most likely be destined for the Red line's 130th extension and possible expansion of 10 car trains. The orange line will be #7000's along with the blue line and brown.

I remain doubtful about 10-car trains because all stations are built for 8-car trains. They would have to build them for 10-Car trains. You can't safely cut off the back two, unload and load cars 1-8, pull the other two cars into the station and unload/load them. There will be the geniuses that will pull the cherry and get off to the pavement about twenty feet below(and here come the lawsuits for the CTA). And if the Red Line does it, they'll need to do it for the other main lines too(Blue, Orange, Brown & Green if they run 8 cars).

I remain doubtful about 10-car trains because all stations are built for 8-car trains. They would have to build them for 10-Car trains. You can't safely cut off the back two, unload and load cars 1-8, pull the other two cars into the station and unload/load them. There will be the geniuses that will pull the cherry and get off to the pavement about twenty feet below(and here come the lawsuits for the CTA). And if the Red Line does it, they'll need to do it for the other main lines too(Blue, Orange, Brown & Green if they run 8 cars).

They would have to extend some stations, but they said that the Red Line sides of the Belmont and Fullerton stations will hold 10 cars.

Similar stuff was said when the Lake-Dan Ryan was limited to 6 cars, but they expanded those stations (especially on the Loop L) pretty quickly.

Must be something new, since they ran some mixed 3200s-2600s on the Brown Line (chicago-l.org indicates 18 2600s in 2003).

Here I found the quote of what they said, this was in November 2014....

"The 2600 restriction to Kimball is due to 2600s with the larger size A wheels go through the tight turns, the wheels rub against the inverter door cover, moving it enough to lose the door close feed creating a blue light defect"

Now in saying that I wonder if they have problems with the Santa Express because it is #2600's and it's not like you can say "well no Santa train this year for Brown Line" :huh:

"The 2600 restriction to Kimball is due to 2600s with the larger size A wheels go through the tight turns, the wheels rub against the inverter door cover, moving it enough to lose the door close feed creating a blue light defect"

Now in saying that I wonder if they have problems with the Santa Express because it is #2600's and it's not like you can say "well no Santa train this year for Brown Line" :huh:

Since the Santa train is essentially work motor 2600s, maybe something is different. Or maybe some of the ethnic groups around the Brown Line don't believe in Santa. :o:blink:

"Attention K-Mart Shoppers: The Blue Light Special is that the train is stalled."

Yesterday evening, one of the last sets of #2600's on the Red line had double blue lights and they had about 4 trains stacked up behind it. I was coming up to Sheridan so I could see both sides of the train. I never forgot that experience on the Blue line once a train car had 3 of 4 doors cut out, when the train got to Damen/Milwaukee no one could exit unless they switched cars!!

Yesterday evening, one of the last sets of #2600's on the Red line had double blue lights and they had about 4 trains stacked up behind it. I was coming up to Sheridan so I could see both sides of the train. I never forgot that experience on the Blue line once a train car had 3 of 4 doors cut out, when the train got to Damen/Milwaukee no one could exit unless they switched cars!!

If an 8-car has two blue lights, it can still technically run, right? It'll just put way more strain on the brakes and motors? Or do the remaining 6 cars not have enough power to pull the two dead ones?

I'm thinking that as the 5000s enter service on the Orange Line, that will eventually free up 3200s on that line to go to rehab. As those rehabbed 3200s come back into service, they wll likely be sent to the Ravenswood (Brown) to free up 3200s from that line to complete the rehab cycle. Just a thought folks.

If an 8-car has two blue lights, it can still technically run, right? It'll just put way more strain on the brakes and motors? Or do the remaining 6 cars not have enough power to pull the two dead ones?

Chicago-l.org's explanation of the blue light is here.

"The 2600 restriction to Kimball is due to 2600s with the larger size A wheels go through the tight turns, the wheels rub against the inverter door cover, moving it enough to lose the door close feed creating a blue light defect"...

At least that's the worst thing that's happening (that we know of). Imagine if the wheels somehow rubbed straight through the side car body...

"It's hard to stop a train."

They would have to extend some stations, but they said that the Red Line sides of the Belmont and Fullerton stations will hold 10 cars.

Similar stuff was said when the Lake-Dan Ryan was limited to 6 cars, but they expanded those stations (especially on the Loop L) pretty quickly.

Dan Ryan stations were built for 8-car service. Most Lake St stations needed extensions (except Pulaski, Ashland), and Outer Loop (but not Inner Loop) which had been chopped back just before Ryan opened from original 10+ carlenghts. Last one (California WB) was completed Fri night before 8-car started Mon.

Not sure I understand about the 2600's having larger wheels than the 3200's. Chicago-l.org has both the 2600's and 3200's wheel diameter at 28" and truck wheelbase at 78".

According to Midway shop working pcc4223, the 5000 pair at Midway is there to get its wheels repaired. Maybe, however, just maybe, they'll train some operators while it's there so the Orange line can get them soon.

That's probably very similar to why there is a 3200-series pair from the Brown Line at Howard yard every few days.