5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

I just saw 5508 pass going NB on the Armitage incline. It had pretty bad graffiti tagging on the driver's side, covering the entire lower wall section between the doors. Pretty disappointing if you ask me.

You ain't never lying because I've spotted it on State/Lake but couldn't get a shot of it because I was heading home south. It was tagged as "CWM".

Found this article in regards to those vandalized cars.

http://wilmette.suntimes.com/2014/10/20/wilmette-police-nab-graffiti-purveyors-hit-felonies/

Those cars may never look the same. They were brand new, and now they're ruined! It's also terrifying that they were able to get CTA keys...they could have even stolen the railcars if they knew what they were doing!

Those cars may never look the same. They were brand new, and now they're ruined! It's also terrifying that they were able to get CTA keys...they could have even stolen the railcars if they knew what they were doing!

The disturbing thing about that article is, as you noted, they had CTA uniforms (or replicas) and keys.

Between the teenage fake bus driver and the accused terrorist who was storing stuff in subway closets, you would think that CTA would have improved its security by now.

Also, people hanging out in Wilmette looks suspicious. The article implies no one knows what these two did at other locations,

The disturbing thing about that article is, as you noted, they had CTA uniforms (or replicas) and keys.

Between the teenage fake bus driver and the accused terrorist who was storing stuff in subway closets, you would think that CTA would have improved its security by now.

Also, people hanging out in Wilmette looks suspicious. The article implies no one knows what these two did at other locations,

I don't know that article is pretty extreme. Before when they had the Howard yard vandalism last winter those vandals were wearing CTA vests and had rail keys also. Maybe CTA needs to move in the 21st century, they could issue swipe keys or fingerprint scanners like some companies do so they know what employees are where on the property. Also if someone's key is compromised they then have a possible accessory to the crime. But the question is really are these groups walking on to restricted areas or gaining access legitimately with faked identities.

BTW, so what #5507-08 is on the Purple line now or is this not the same car, they mentioned several.

,,,. Maybe CTA needs to move in the 21st century, they could issue swipe keys or fingerprint scanners like some companies do so they know what employees are where on the property. Also if someone's key is compromised they then have a possible accessory to the crime....

At the time of the teenage fake bus driver, they said they were going to use fingerprint scanners, but never said if they did.

The key issue may be similar to the specs for the L car keys, i.e. one key might open everything. Maybe CTA should go to Menards and get the locks with combination buttons.

At the time of the teenage fake bus driver, they said they were going to use fingerprint scanners, but never said if they did.

The key issue may be similar to the specs for the L car keys, i.e. one key might open everything. Maybe CTA should go to Menards and get the locks with combination buttons.

I hope they fine those graffiti taggers so they can pay their crew to clean it off.

I hope they fine those graffiti taggers so they can pay their crew to clean it off.

CTA sent out a press release CTA AGGRESSIVELY PROSECUTES VANDALS. This was reiterated in the case of the Forest Park vandal, and more recently that CTA was using camera evidence to sue vandals and their parents.

If you believe these pronouncements, they are going to face a civil judgment for the damages, plus prison time. Now whether they can pay a judgment in the hundreds of thousands, that's another issue, but they aren't getting by with just a stinking fine.

Well, the vandals were finally caught, but from the looks of these photos, #5457-58 will never look the same again. Absolutely ridiculous.

yeah that's a crying shame. There isn't anyone to watch the yards or what. What happens in the tower is it manned. If so I'd be sending those guys out for an eye exam. How could they miss something right under there nose. Lol!!

So here's a new one (for me at least). Pardon the crappy picture quality (my phone's camera has a crack on the lens which blurs lights, only made worse by the lights being attached to a moving train), but I saw this on the Purple line tonight:

QsOWzDr.jpg

OrdKUlJ.jpg

The head car had the class lights but no signs or run number, but the back of the second car had the signs and run number :blink:

I've seen cars without signs before, but I've never seen the signs between cars! Run #515 for those who are wondering.

So here's a new one (for me at least). Pardon the crappy picture quality (my phone's camera has a crack on the lens which blurs lights, only made worse by the lights being attached to a moving train), but I saw this on the Purple line tonight:

QsOWzDr.jpg

OrdKUlJ.jpg

The head car had the class lights but no signs or run number, but the back of the second car had the signs and run number :blink:

I've seen cars without signs before, but I've never seen the signs between cars! Run #515 for those who are wondering.

Weird...

(Big Picture)

The best answer I can come up with is a new glitch of some sort. Maybe it's related in nature to that picture I posted a while back where two cars in the same set had different destination signs.

The best answer I can come up with is a new glitch of some sort. Maybe it's related in nature to that picture I posted a while back where two cars in the same set had different destination signs.

Something is messed up with the sign controller module, as (the most recent 7000 spec, at least, says that) it should turn on the signs only on the ends of the end cars.

But I know there is someone out there with extreme expertise in these signs who will chime in. :o:P

QsOWzDr.jpg

OrdKUlJ.jpg

The second car was pissed because it couldn't be the head car. So it decided to keep it's lights on and said "if I can't be the head car then we all ain't going anywhere!!!" :lol: :p

I saw a train today on the red line (I think it was 5345) where the sign & run number were out on the head car, but were on on all the other end cars in the consist. I thought that was how it always was.

That was more than likely 5435-36. I saw it one day & it was the lead car & the sign of where it's going & the run box were out. 5345-46 is on Pink.

The second car was pissed because it couldn't be the head car. So it decided to keep it's lights on and said "if I can't be the head car then we all ain't going anywhere!!!" :lol::P

Again, would be darn strange, because the key has to be in the controller of the lead car.

Briman's picture doesn't show if the operator is in the lead cab.

Also, supposedly, the operator's panel is supposed to show all cars in the train.

Again, would be darn strange, because the key has to be in the controller of the lead car.

Briman's picture doesn't show if the operator is in the lead cab.

Also, supposedly, the operator's panel is supposed to show all cars in the train.

The driver was in the lead car (as one would hope!) and the class lights were on the correct end of the car and it was driving in the correct direction. I couldn't see if there was a key in the other end of the lead pair (the car with the actual signs showing), but I would hope not. Could it have simply been a backwards connection making the computer think it was coupled the other way? Why don't the class lights and sign controller use the same logic to determine the active end?

The driver was in the lead car (as one would hope!) and the class lights were on the correct end of the car and it was driving in the correct direction. I couldn't see if there was a key in the other end of the lead pair (the car with the actual signs showing), but I would hope not. Could it have simply been a backwards connection making the computer think it was coupled the other way? Why don't the class lights and sign controller use the same logic to determine the active end?

Got me there, but the spec I cited was specific to the sign system.

How long before the Purple Line has more 5000's than it has now? It hasn't gotten any since it borrowed the Red Line's 5499-5500.

Maybe a little while longer, they are probably reviewing security at Linden yard after what happened there. One observation I made today was I swear I only saw one #2600 consist on the Red line unless something passed me in the subway. They really don't need the 70 something #2600's they have. I think up to half of those could be bound for the Orange line in the next week. I was noticing they have them all together on the 2 far tracks in the west howard yard, a good 16-20 cars. I'm going to have to take in the brownages this week as this may be the last time the #2400's run them if they are not gone already. (might be a couple trains still) Just in case there is no fanfare for their departure.