5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

Anyone else notice that 5501 doesn't have cutouts for the car numbers? Also, it kind of looks like the athlete (that the puma is apparently attracted to) is about to eat the car numbers.

I had noted that the car numbers weren't obvious, but didn't know whether the cutout or an overlay on the wrap was usual. I should have figured out the cutout based on 5502.

Something you guys might like. I got a few pictures of unreleased cars at Skokie Shops taken with my super zoom wall penetrating max camera!! :P (just kidding)

attachicon.gifcta 5510.jpg

attachicon.gifcta 5526.jpg

attachicon.gifcta 5524.jpg

I thought #5509-10 was released already but I guess not.

Wow, they've already got 5526? Won't be long before we see 5555! I hope they realize they put 5526 down the wrong way xD

I just saw "training trains" on the brown line passing Chicago/Franklin towards Kimball. #5241-5242 & 5265-5266, any indication that Brown line will actually be the next line to receive 5000's or not?

Did they have "Kimball" signs? Wish I could have seen that! They may be training them for brownage trains when the Orange line gets the 5000s (as it's scheduled next).

You mean like this?

attachicon.gifkimball color destination.jpg

[attachment=5190:brown line loop.jpg}

I threw in the other candidates for #5000's, but I still believe they are going to Orange last.

attachicon.gifmidway 5000's destination.jpg

attachicon.gifblue line forest pk.jpg

Those look nice. I heard that the orange will be the last to get the 5000s out of the lines scheduled to receive them, which doesn't include brown or blue. Green, pink, and yellow are done, and red and purple are close to it, meaning orange should in theory be next. Knowing the CTA, however, I wouldn't be surprised if the brown got them next so that the entire north side is fitted with 5000s. Edited by briman94

Those look nice. I heard that the orange will be the last to get the 5000s out of the lines scheduled to receive them, which doesn't include brown or blue. Green, pink, and yellow are done, and red and purple are close to it, meaning orange should in theory be next. Knowing the CTA, however, I wouldn't be surprised if the brown got them next so that the entire north side is fitted with 5000s.

Probably not as CTA would cringe at the prospect of 100 #5000 cars in a yard with 70 #3200's. If they did upgrade the propulsion system to AC which I believe Busjack said was canceled, then that's a non issue, but I would rush to get them some rehabbed #3200's, but the timing is not right, maybe if they were rehabbing now. Blue line I believe they are waiting for all this construction to wind down. The Forest Pk branch is going to be nice. Something that they did mention about the O'Hare your new blue project is in some places they mention stations rehabbed though Clinton other places through Grand. I believe both projects will piggyback off each other, so it doesn't really matter. It would be nice if they could get all Blue line Dearborn and Congress subway stations to look at least as good as Harrison/Red line. :)

Those look nice. I heard that the orange will be the last to get the 5000s out of the lines scheduled to receive them, which doesn't include brown or blue. Green, pink, and yellow are done, and red and purple are close to it, meaning orange should in theory be next. Knowing the CTA, however, I wouldn't be surprised if the brown got them next so that the entire north side is fitted with 5000s.

It has been stated in the past that the plan was to put 5000s on all lines except Blue and Brown, however, now the mystery is whether the Orange will even get 5000s.

Did they have "Kimball" signs? Wish I could have seen that! They may be training them for brownage trains when the Orange line gets the 5000s (as it's scheduled next).

That would make sense, training for the brownage runs. But to answer your question, they had the 'Not In Service' destination and the 'Training Train' square sign on the front and back cars in front of the doors.

That would make sense, training for the brownage runs. But to answer your question, they had the 'Not In Service' destination and the 'Training Train' square sign on the front and back cars in front of the doors.

If they were at Chicago/Franklin, they technically could have been training new Purple line drivers, but Brown would be more likely.