5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

Wrap the cars in shrink wrap. Maybe Bombardier is worried about the cost of "inland marine insurance."

Basically when you have a "high value" load like an L car, it costs less and lessens the chance of damage to just load it once and road haul it direct to destination. Plus, rail haulage would likely add at least 2 days to trip time. One day to take to railhead and load, one to arrive Chicago (Park Manor? 63rd/Indiana) and a third day to offload and haul to Skokie. So what are you saving? Nothing. Rail haulage makes sense if load is too high or wide to road haul or the distance is excessive (over 1000 miles or so) but direct road haulage makes more sense if load will fit - wide is not an issue with an L car, just height - and distance is around 900 miles NY State to Chicago.

Basically when you have a "high value" load like an L car, it costs less and lessens the chance of damage to just load it once and road haul it direct to destination. Plus, rail haulage would likely add at least 2 days to trip time. One day to take to railhead and load, one to arrive Chicago (Park Manor? 63rd/Indiana) and a third day to offload and haul to Skokie. So what are you saving? Nothing. Rail haulage makes sense if load is too high or wide to road haul or the distance is excessive (over 1000 miles or so) but direct road haulage makes more sense if load will fit - wide is not an issue with an L car, just height - and distance is around 900 miles NY State to Chicago.

Plus you have to involve more people in the transfer of your new bus or "L" car. Someone to drive it to the terminal, railroad personnel to load it and unload it twice in two different locations and someone to pick it up. So that's like four different parties. Now if there was an accident, how would you prove who did it. The way it stands now. Once the load or bus is signed for at the factory, it's now the shippers responsibility and their insurance company's. So when CTA signs to receive it, it can only be one person's fault if there is damage. Now would Nova bus drive a bus to California?

...Now would Nova bus drive a bus to California?

I thought it was a moot question, but Nova does have an order from San Joaquin, CA. I bet, though, that they are not driving the buses to Puerto Rico.

On the other hand, remember when someone posted (temporarily) a YouTube of Pace buses at a truck stop in Flagstaff, AZ, coming from the plant in Riverside CA?

Plus you have to involve more people in the transfer of your new bus or "L" car. Someone to drive it to the terminal, railroad personnel to load it and unload it twice in two different locations and someone to pick it up. So that's like four different parties. Now if there was an accident, how would you prove who did it. The way it stands now. Once the load or bus is signed for at the factory, it's now the shippers responsibility and their insurance company's. So when CTA signs to receive it, it can only be one person's fault if there is damage. Now would Nova bus drive a bus to California?

Most buses are indeed road delivered. A few years back saw a new West Palm Beach Gillig sitting at a truck stop in central Florida, so this bus had been driven from San Francisco area all the way to the Atlantic coast, about as far as you can drive in this continent!

Back to the correct thread:

That's essentially how L cars used to be shipped to CTA, but in the pictures in the various books, there were mainline rail connections to the Chicago & North Shore and CTA had its own unloading ramp at Skokie Shops.

Those connections with CTA are long gone, but I don't see any reason they couldn't be shipped by rail to some intermodal terminal. Maybe Bombardier, which undoubtedly has the duty of shipping them FOB Skokie Shops, hasn't figured it out, hard as it is for me to conceive.

Most automobiles are carried by this type of rail car, which, for instance, one can see lined up outside the Ford plant in Hegewisch.

The car you refer to is called an Autorack. It has two levels and can probably hold four cars/car.

I think they(Bombardier) work with CP a bit to move equipment to a test track two miles away(Photo). They could outsource CP to deliver them, and it might be cheaper than driving them on a flatbed(less fuel and congestion on the tracks). With a freight train hauling 100+ cars, it might be less to haul a few sets of 5000's on Intermodal cars(the flat cars designed for Tractor Trailers). All they have to do is strap them down really good and transport. Accidents can happen whether on the rails or the road. It would probably be the faster way to do it, but isn't practical with no freight yards anywhere near Skokie Shops(all I could find is the UP-NW Line and I traveled on Google Maps up well into Green Bay Rd. to look for a point where the two tracks become three or four and trace those tracks to a rail yard, but no avail...

...all I could find is the UP-NW Line and I traveled on Google Maps up well into Green Bay Rd. to look for a point where the two tracks become three or four and trace those tracks to a rail yard, but no avail...

These days, the only intermodal yards are around Franklin Park or Elwood. Maybe Hammond, too.

I think they(Bombardier) work with CP a bit to move equipment to a test track two miles away(Photo). They could outsource CP to deliver them, and it might be cheaper than driving them on a flatbed(less fuel and congestion on the tracks). With a freight train hauling 100+ cars, it might be less to haul a few sets of 5000's on Intermodal cars(the flat cars designed for Tractor Trailers). All they have to do is strap them down really good and transport. Accidents can happen whether on the rails or the road. It would probably be the faster way to do it, but isn't practical with no freight yards anywhere near Skokie Shops(all I could find is the UP-NW Line and I traveled on Google Maps up well into Green Bay Rd. to look for a point where the two tracks become three or four and trace those tracks to a rail yard, but no avail...

I have always wondered why some people are so concerned about having rapid transit cars shipped by rail. To me the most economical means seems to be boy-low trailers hauled over highways used by CTA contractors .

DH

img046.jpg

• Upvote 2

I have always wondered why some people are so concerned about having rapid transit cars shipped by rail. To me the most economical means seems to be boy-low trailers hauled over highways used by CTA contractors .

DH

img046.jpg

So those were shipped by rail? I thought the #2400's were the last shipped that way.

I just saw an 8-car consist of 5000s marked Not in Service just south of the Mart. The last two cars were 5229-5230, which I thought were on the red line. The outer loop train trackers were displaying an orange line to Midway (brownage) between two brown lines but that train is all I saw. It had a run number but I couldn't see it very well. Could they be getting ready to assign some 5000s to Orange or Brown? I didn't think they were anywhere close to that.

• Upvote 1

I saw a Purple Line set of 5000s today at Tower 18 while waiting for a Brown Line train. I might have said this before, but it's harder to see the LED signs from a distance when they are purple, compared to the other train lines.

I also noticed that when crossing third rail gaps, the LED interior lights do not flicker and pulse (5000s) or slightly dim (2600s and 3200s) like the florescent tubes did.

I saw a Purple Line set of 5000s today at Tower 18 while waiting for a Brown Line train. I might have said this before, but it's harder to see the LED signs from a distance when they are purple, compared to the other train lines.

I also noticed that when crossing third rail gaps, the LED interior lights do not flicker and pulse (5000s) or slightly dim (2600s and 3200s) like the florescent tubes did.

To me, the purple LED signs look like red lines from a distance. I saw a red and purple line departing Fullerton together and the further away they got from me, the more similar they looked.

Also, I think the light dimming is due to the 2600s and 3200s having older and weaker batteries than the 5000s. The 5000s probably use lithium batteries rather than lead, so they'll have a longer life. The LEDs also draw less power than the florescent tubes, although I've seen the 3200s with LEDs flicker and even completely turn off before.

Something!!!! Every time I get on and off this station when I go to school, I'm like damn when are they ever going to spice this station up! :lol:

The reopening was announced, so I assume the project is over. They put a new canopy over the stairway, but did they fix the leaks?

According to the Press Release, CDOT spent $10 million on something before Emanuel and Claypool made their mandatory appearance.