5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

5553-5554, 5555-5556, and 5557-5558 coupled together in one consist with 5493-5494 heading north on the Red Line now nearing Howard.

5493-94 is completely missing from the first 'L' Roster page, so the the Red Line roster needs to be fixed. I counted the Red Line's 5000's in the roster, and including 5493-94, the number of them is really 332.

I also counted the 5000's in the Green Line roster, and the number of them is actually 118.

There are "L" trains wrapped with the Goose Island Green Line craftbeer ad running on lines beside the Green Line. ;)

I keep telling people that's going to confuse the crap out of every tourist. "This is a Brown Line train to Kimball!" "But it says Green Line in huge letters!"

Was just on 5180 and it's the same way. The ATC warning is almost an octave higher than the rest of the 5000s, more like the 24/26/3200s.

That's exactly what I heard. I rode 5359 earlier in the week the ATC system sounded like the rest of the 5000 series, but when I rode 5359 again Friday it sounded like you said it sounded like a 24/26/3200 series.

I keep telling people that's going to confuse the crap out of every tourist. "This is a Brown Line train to Kimball!" "But it says Green Line in huge letters!"

For obvious reasons, the Goose Island Beer should be Yellow Line. That is unless the result is like in the baby and adult diapers that absorb Blue Line liquid. :(

Observing CTA buses for many years I developed an opinion that advertisers placed ads on buses which are likely to be exposed to the target customers. That is, on routes where those customers rode or at least saw the signs. I wonder if that is the case here.

Titan is selling all the ads. While it probably isn't possible to isolate L cars to particular neighborhoods (such as the Red Line going most of the length of the city), I suppose someone could target the Orange, Pink, and Brown lines.

On your general point, I remember when 55 buses (and hence 69th garage routes) were solely devoted to Muhammad Speaks enterprises.

Titan is selling all the ads. While it probably isn't possible to isolate L cars to particular neighborhoods (such as the Red Line going most of the length of the city), I suppose someone could target the Orange, Pink, and Brown lines.

On your general point, I remember when 55 buses (and hence 69th garage routes) were solely devoted to Muhammad Speaks enterprises.

One more thing about Goose Island Green Line - while southbound on the Red Line [riding 5Ks BTW] at Armitage I thought I passed up a southbound Brown Line with a Green Line wrap. I thought it was appropriate because we were close to Goose Island Brewery :D

I was on 5561 (if I remember correctly) Southbound this morning. As we were pulling into Monroe, all the lights randomly went out. The heaters and fans were all on, and there were no "emergency" lights either. The only things producing light were the signs and glow-in-the-dark strips. They switched back on as we stopped at Monroe. Faulty fuse somewhere maybe?

I was on 5561 (if I remember correctly) Southbound this morning. As we were pulling into Monroe, all the lights randomly went out. The heaters and fans were all on, and there were no "emergency" lights either. The only things producing light were the signs and glow-in-the-dark strips. They switched back on as we stopped at Monroe. Faulty fuse somewhere maybe?

Hopefully it's something simple and easily fixable.

Back before the 2600s got rehabbed on the Blue Line, I was on one for a relaxing ride from O'Hare, except for the fact that the lights kept switching on and off randomly for a few seconds. This continued well into the Dearborn subway and probably all the way to Forest Park. Never really thought about the cause.

Also, the CTA has removed a good length of third rail at UIC-Halsted for bridge construction related to the highways. Whenever I see an outbound train in the station, one or two of its cars are all dark, save for the emergency lights. That can't be helpful for those who are boarding/leaving the train.

One more thing about Goose Island Green Line - while southbound on the Red Line [riding 5Ks BTW] at Armitage I thought I passed up a southbound Brown Line with a Green Line wrap. I thought it was appropriate because we were close to Goose Island Brewery. :D

So here is the Green Line-wrapped train (3039-3040) on the Blue Line at Montrose, where the Lake Effect Brwg. Co. is the closest brewery. ;)

post-444-0-25004900-1416082591_thumb.jpg

I've been noticing quite a few drivers recently who keep "cancelling" the smooth-stop thing on the 5000s by slamming on the brakes when the train's almost stopped. I'm assuming this is to avoid the situation where the brakes release too much and the computer on the train ends up doing the same thing after coasting a few feet, but honestly I think the train doing it is still a bit smoother. What I really want to know is why Bombardier can't fix their system so that it always stops the train instead of releasing the brakes too much and needing to (over) correct.

• Upvote 1

I've been noticing quite a few drivers recently who keep "cancelling" the smooth-stop thing on the 5000s by slamming on the brakes when the train's almost stopped. I'm assuming this is to avoid the situation where the brakes release too much and the computer on the train ends up doing the same thing after coasting a few feet, but honestly I think the train doing it is still a bit smoother. What I really want to know is why Bombardier can't fix their system so that it always stops the train instead of releasing the brakes too much and needing to (over) correct.

I think it prevents the wheels from sliding.