5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

There should be 4-6 more that came in either yesterday or today. So maybe they are up to #5590 now.

So assuming those are delivered, 5569-70 and 5579-90 should be enough to finish reequipping the Red Line, replace or displace all of its remaining 44 2600's, and resume giving the Purple Line more 5000's, right?

So assuming those are delivered, 5569-70 and 5579-90 should be enough to finish reequipping the Red Line, replace or displace all of its remaining 44 2600's, and resume giving the Purple Line more 5000's, right?

Yeah, it should be but they might take on a few more cars as up to #5590 only takes them into 360 car territory which works with not many spares, (but the cars are all new so maybe it works) but looking at the Purple line they need 38 more cars which would put them into #5630 territory. But as with former line deliveries they tend to over deliver to the lines and slowly scale back the fleets so while red could end up with 370-380 and Purple with 102. They could end up with 360 and 90 with them having all new cars. So that would put Orange getting cars from #5615-20 on up, but initially I would expect them to start around #5640.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, it should be but they might take on a few more cars as up to #5590 only takes them into 360 car territory which works with not many spares, (but the cars are all new so maybe it works) but looking at the Purple line they need 38 more cars which would put them into #5630 territory. But as with former line deliveries they tend to over deliver to the lines and slowly scale back the fleets so while red could end up with 370-380 and Purple with 102. They could end up with 360 and 90 with them having all new cars. So that would put Orange getting cars from #5615-20 on up, but initially I would expect them to start around #5640.

BusHunter, your post and your take is so refreshing and a breath of fresh air. You are so different from some of the others here who grasp at straws hoping their dreams will come true. My next charter, whenever, you have a back-stage pass. Keep up the good job.

David Harrison

How can that be accurate though if the Green Line 5000s ending in the 5160s (might be #5169-70)??? 360 is ok for the Red Line but over 90-100 for the Purple Line is too extreme in my opinion. 70 would be the max just to make it even to #5599-#5600 (I've mentioned that a while back). If the Orange Line is getting some then why not give Midway #5601-#5706 and Yellow Line #5707-14 just to have an even, stable fleet???

How can that be accurate though if the Green Line 5000s ending in the 5160s (might be #5169-70)??? 360 is ok for the Red Line but over 90-100 for the Purple Line is too extreme in my opinion. 70 would be the max just to make it even to #5599-#5600 (I've mentioned that a while back). If the Orange Line is getting some then why not give Midway #5601-#5706 and Yellow Line #5707-14 just to have an even, stable fleet???

• We really can't tell the effect of the budget statements that rail service is going to be increased, nor the consistent statements that CTA has about 1360 cars, as opposed to the 1190 before all the deliveries started.
  • Part of it may be increasing Purple Line service as an alternative to the Red, although the Wilson station announcements only hint at that, and that probably wouldn't happen until the Wilson station reopens.
  • Still the only firm numbers we have are that the 7000s are supposed to replace 400 2600s and 256 3200s, and, of course, that the 3200s will be rehabbed. That, again, adds up to 1370 cars, not considering any expansions (the final options of 190 are for possible expansion).

• We really can't tell the effect of the budget statements that rail service is going to be increased, nor the consistent statements that CTA has about 1360 cars, as opposed to the 1190 before all the deliveries started.
  • Part of it may be increasing Purple Line service as an alternative to the Red, although the Wilson station announcements only hint at that, and that probably wouldn't happen until the Wilson station reopens.
  • Still the only firm numbers we have are that the 7000s are supposed to replace 400 2600s and 256 3200s, and, of course, that the 3200s will be rehabbed. That, again, adds up to 1370 cars, not considering any expansions (the final options of 190 are for possible expansion).

That's because the budget is atrocious at this point. They want to have us believe that the 7000s supposed to replace the 3200s. What's the point of having them rehabbed then??? That's money going to be wasted on top of the money that was wasted on bs. Obviously, they're not taking this serious. Wouldn't just make sense just to retired 400 2600s now, keep approximately 180-90 of them (based on the past retirements) and have 100 3200s for the Blue Line while the Brown Line keeps the rest of them in order to have some kind of flexibility with the budget??? If increasing the Purple Line playing a factor then it defeats the purpose of having approximately 70% of the 5000s fleet. Somewhere down this road they need to start acting like they aren't f'ing dumb because it's just going to get a lot worse than it is now.

Now the Purple line runs about 11 trains in the rush, that translates to 66 cars. All the rest would be spares so the question is would they need that many spares. They could just share the Purple and Red line fleets and I doubt then that they would need that many spares because they would have 30-50 spares between them and these are new cars. Regardless they would have to at least send the Orange line 80 #5000's in a worst case scenario or they couldn't retire the #2600's there, but this A wheel/blue light issue might prevent that from occuring anyway at least while the #3200 rehabs are in progress.

That's because the budget is atrocious at this point. They want to have us believe that the 7000s supposed to replace the 3200s. What's the point of having them rehabbed then??? That's money going to be wasted on top of the money that was wasted on bs. ....

I've agreed with that before, in that if the rehabs are supposed to have a 10 year life as has been stated, that would seem to be outside the time frame for the 7000s, even if the 7000s aren't supposed to start being delivered on a regular basis until 2019.

If you ask me, this whole car procurement process doesn't make much sense. CTA exercised the options for the last 308 5000s, saying that if they didn't, and the contract ran out, the price per car would go up from about $1.6 million to $2.4 million. Then Bombardier's bid for the 7000s was reported to have come in at $1.6 million/car, but CTA rejected that, apparently preferring a spec. for a South Korean or Singapore car.

Forgot to mention that #5577-78 are in service but I couldn't get any shots because of Christmas shopping.

I saw 5579-5580 at Monroe earlier (around 8:30pm or so) but I couldn't get any shots because there were a ton of people on the platform :P

That is inexcusable.... unable to take pictures because of Christmas shopping! And you, briman94... not able to take pictures because of excessive people on a platform? That's it!!! GARMON757..... BRIMAN94.....

http://youtu.be/cNX_wGyKhmM

:angry:

j/k, you two!!! garmon, I know there's more to life that just pictures and posts. And briman94, you could only do so much given the amount of space on the platform.... :);)

• Upvote 3

That is inexcusable.... unable to take pictures because of Christmas shopping! And you, briman94... not able to take pictures because of excessive people on a platform? That's it!!! GARMON757..... BRIMAN94.....

http://youtu.be/cNX_wGyKhmM

:angry:

j/k, you two!!! garmon, I know there's more to life that just pictures and posts. And briman94, you could only do so much given the amount of space on the platform.... :);)

And we know that Vinne Mac is usually full of....

At least briman94 wasn't at Loyola. :P

I know you're joking in good spirits, but have you ever taken pictures/video in crowds? It's somewhat hard for me to do it, and I consider myself moderately tall. Imagine if someone was a foot shorter than me. On the Snowflake Special I had to lift my camera up to get a shot of the trains, and it's almost a form of art being able to keep your hand steady and look at the viewfinder and what you're filming at the same time. :o

Below is a video I took where I had to lift my camera up like that. I'll let you guys be the judge of whether I did good or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpZ5ufxQdAc