5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

Brownline was rerouted through the Subway. May have been waiting to go back into service NB.

I didn't think they left the south end of the subway though...I thought they just used the turnback at Roosevelt.

In any event, that wouldn't have explained a sighting at 67th.

I didn't think they left the south end of the subway though...I thought they just used the turnback at Roosevelt.

In any event, that wouldn't have explained a sighting at 67th.

There is NO turn back at Roosevelt in the subway. SB have to go to 63rd St. in the Ryan or go up the incline to 37th on the Green line to turn back north. If SB experienced difficulty at 63rd due to signals, they have to go all the way to 95th Ryan to turn back. You can see a turn back running at 67th sic; (Marquette Blvd. There is no 67th St.)

SB off the Loop, on the elevated, they can turn back at 14th middle. Only on the elevated!.

DH

• Upvote 2

There is NO turn back at Roosevelt in the subway. SB have to go to 63rd St. in the Ryan or go up the incline to 37th on the Green line to turn back north. If SB experienced difficulty at 63rd due to signals, they have to go all the way to 95th Ryan to turn back. You can see a turn back running at 67th sic; (Marquette Blvd. There is no 67th St.)

SB off the Loop, on the elevated, they can turn back at 14th middle. Only on the elevated!.

DH

The main northbound entrance to Roosevelt is a turnback. Both southbound and northbound tracks can enter the middle tunnel; they would have to hold any northbound traffic to turn around but it would barely take a minute or two to do so.

https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=uWdFjBAMP4Y

Which one of you is chicagotransitsystem 25 on YouTube?

I don't know where in the consist 5663 is in the video above because it was too fast, but BusHunter, go ahead and put 5663-64 in the Red Line roster.

Who said #5663-64 was on the Red line? Anyone can confirm this?

I can't find the video or user from that link. They could have mean't #5633. If it's there someone will report it, but if that's true then you can just about kiss off the Orange line getting #5000's, but don't ask me where they are getting the space to keep 560 #2600's.

I can't find the video or user from that link. They could have mean't #5633. If it's there someone will report it, but if that's true then you can just about kiss off the Orange line getting #5000's, but don't ask me where they are getting the space to keep 560 #2600's.

Well the CTA said that the redline will be all 5000 series soon so who knows at this point.

What's the capacity at Midway yard and I know Blue has a lot of space since they have yards on both ends.

1. Who told you that? 2. Why don't they use it on Sundays? 3. You work for CTA?

There's really no need for attitude in a debate. I know that the signals and track are configured to allow bi-directional traffic through the middle tunnel south of Roosevelt, so it's only logical to use it as a turnback for short-turned Brown lines. I'm not sure what special case on Sunday you're referring to because I've never seen a short-turned Red line train during normal operation.

The video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWdFjBAMP4Y

The last car in the video is 5563 (not 5663), so the video title must have a typo.

• Upvote 1

There's really no need for attitude in a debate. I know that the signals and track are configured to allow bi-directional traffic through the middle tunnel south of Roosevelt, so it's only logical to use it as a turnback for short-turned Brown lines. I'm not sure what special case on Sunday you're referring to because I've never seen a short-turned Red line train during normal operation.

There's no attitude. Sorry, but you are wrong. If you were right, think about it.....they would use your turnback on Sundays with the Brown line rerouted into the subway. I guess to don't want to learn. So, now, who has the attitude?

I'll leave the moderating to Kevin, but can we please try to keep it a little more relaxed on this board?

Briman94, by middle track, are you referring to the track that goes down below the other tracks (man, I really wish I could make a track diagram on this site)?

Edit: My apologies, I didn't read your whole post.

I'll leave the moderating to Kevin, but can we please try to keep it a little more relaxed on this board?

Briman94, by middle track, are you referring to the track that goes down below the other tracks (man, I really wish I could make a track diagram on this site)?

Yeah, the one the northbound red lines normally use when entering the subway. There's a wye junction that connects both platforms of Roosevelt to that tunnel and I've seen signals facing both ways so it seems like they should be able to use that as a turnback if they hold northbound traffic for a couple minutes while the driver walks to the other end and reverses.

Yeah, the one the northbound red lines normally use when entering the subway. There's a wye junction that connects both platforms of Roosevelt to that tunnel and I've seen signals facing both ways so it seems like they should be able to use that as a turnback if they hold northbound traffic for a couple minutes while the driver walks to the other end and reverses.

You've got a point. Or they could schedule/time Red Line trains so that they won't interfere with the Brown Line trains. It would be like the UIC Blue Line trains, but those have a dedicated turn back.

You've got a point. Or they could schedule/time Red Line trains so that they won't interfere with the Brown Line trains. It would be like the UIC Blue Line trains, but those have a dedicated turn back.

I always thought they did use that as a turnback, but maybe that would explain why during the fire at Armitage, the Brown line trains went all the way to 35th/Bronzeville-IIT before turning around. I don't see why they can't use the middle tunnel to turn them around if that's not what they do already.

I always thought they did use that as a turnback, but maybe that would explain why during the fire at Armitage, the Brown line trains went all the way to 35th/Bronzeville-IIT before turning around. I don't see why they can't use the middle tunnel to turn them around if that's not what they do already.

I'm in agreement with your last sentence.

Anyways, only going to Roosevelt was the idea, but I've seen (via TrainTracker) Brown Line trains as far south as Garfield and presumably the 63rd turn back the Red Line has down there on the Dan Ryan. That's option A. As you know, Option B was used during the fire, in which trains did the tri-line service to 35th/Bronzeville-IIT. I think there's a turn back after that station around 37th Street. Option C is your idea, which sounds perfectly logical, but I can't confirm if any trains have actually used that as a turn back.

Each option is going to delay other trains. We just have to figure out which option delays the most trains. Personally I'd put a switch or crossover on the unused Red-Orange/Green incline so that Roosevelt trains could use that to turn back.