5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

Here we go

#5628: attachicon.gifcta 5628 on 3-1-15.PNG

#5630: attachicon.gifcta 5630 on 3-1-15.PNG

Now answer me this question. See that Orange tag on #5628. I'm told that tag means the ATC is not working on that car. So the question then remains, how come the ATC doesn't work on a new car?

BTW, I was up at Skokie Shops, the yard is so packed to the left of the shop there is no longer any room to put anything. Anything else and it will have to go in front of the bay doors!! Looked like alot of #2600's and possibly #3200's. That would seem to correspond to a #3200's rehab happening soon. Don't know why I saw #2600's unless there is no where else to stick them or they are all defective.

I was on a Red Line Train a few nights ago that was having problems with the emergency brakes engaging on their own. I got on at Loyola and the operator kicked us off and took the train out of service at Wilson. After a long day at work on my feet, I was pissed. Even moreso because it was a new train!

North/Northwest side needs first crack at everything. Wouldn't be surprised if in the next few years they started getting old Metra and Pace buses/trains. Although the Eldos' serve NW area, so there goes that arguement

High 5! on that!!! I wish some here could see Forest Glen at night when most of the buses are in the yard or watch the rush hour at Jefferson Park Blue Line station or stand at the intersection of Milwaukee, NW Hwy, Foster ave, Central ave. and you see nothing but 64/65/6600 Novas! Many of them looking in really bad shape. Its downright depressing!!!. The only new transit equipment well see up this way are the new Pace ElDorados and an occasional NF 4300 on the #152 Addison, but thats only rush period service!.I do welcome riding the old exCNW bilevels on the UP NW line though! I wont complain about that! As for the Blue Line, I think CTA could have made some equipment changes so that the Blue sees some revitalization on the line. If other lines such as the Red, Orange and Green can operate more than one series of rail car theres no reason CTA couldnt have done the same thing for the Blue! Especially for a line that serves a major international airport. Thats what upsets me most is CTA not greeting visitors at OHare by showing off our newest, state of the art, rail cars! I know if I ran CTA, I would not want visitors riding our oldest beat up train cars. I would want them to get a good "first impression" by riding our newest equipment especially if they are first time visitors here to Chicago! When I enter OHare terminal either entering or exiting Chicago, It still looks like September 3rd, 1984 down there! (the day OHare terminal opened for business)

...CTA couldnt have done the same thing for the Blue! Especially for a line that serves a major international airport. Thats what upsets me most is CTA not greeting visitors at OHare by showing off our newest, state of the art, rail cars! I know if I ran CTA, I would not want visitors riding our oldest beat up train cars. I would want them to get a good "first impression" by riding our newest equipment especially if they are first time visitors here to Chicago! When I enter OHare terminal either entering or exiting Chicago, It still looks like September 3rd, 1984 down there! (the day OHare terminal opened for business)

• If there is a political motivation, those people aren't voting in the runoff. Some of those riding the Red Line south of Cermak are the marginal voters Rahm needs to win. [similar comment to why I said he was choking service on the Purple Express.]
  • I wonder if travelers would get a good impression if they can't get a seat on a 5000. There are still about 7 more seats on a 2600.
  • As noted in a Channel 5 item on the dead Block 37 station (which says that $400 million was sunk into that actual hole), if the city really cared about the tourists, it would have completed the Airport Express in time for the 2016 Olympics. However the site of the proposed Olympic Stadium is now a site of the proposed Obama Library. Surprisingly, you can ride a new bus to there.

• If there is a political motivation, those people aren't voting in the runoff. Some of those riding the Red Line south of Cermak are the marginal voters Rahm needs to win. [similar comment to why I said he was choking service on the Purple Express.]
  • I wonder if travelers would get a good impression if they can't get a seat on a 5000. There are still about 7 more seats on a 2600.
  • As noted in a Channel 5 item on the dead Block 37 station (which says that $400 million was sunk into that actual hole), if the city really cared about the tourists, it would have completed the Airport Express in time for the 2016 Olympics. However the site of the proposed Olympic Stadium is now a site of the proposed Obama Library. Surprisingly, you can ride a new bus to there.

Jesus "Chuy" Garcia is not supporting the Brown line flyover, so I don't know if that could potentially stop CTA. But that is a smart move politically, if he can get even a few people riled up in the Rahm strongholds and change their votes, he could win. I surprised he hasn't mentioned the unfairness of putting all old equipment on the nw side. This does serve alot of different people, all mostly in Rahm strongholds.

Very interesting sighting and maybe a ray of hope around 10am this morning on the Blue line approaching Cumberland. A westbound eight car train of 5000s signed "Not In Service". Probably heading to Rosemont Yard. I thought it was just another train of 2600s until I spotted the corrugated exterior alongside the cars and the digital destination signs. I thought for a second they might be 3200s. It was really cool to see the new cars on the Blue and I was very happy to see that this morning! I hope its a sign for Blue line riders. :)

Very interesting sighting and maybe a ray of hope for the Blue! This morning around 10am on the Blue Line between Cumberland and Rosemont. A NB (8) eight car train of 5000s signed "Not In Service". Probably heading to Rosemont Yard. I thought it was just another train of 2600s until I spotted the corrugated siding alongside the cars. I thought for a second they were 3200s. It was really cool to see the new cars on the Blue and I was very happy to see that this morning! I hope its a sign for Blue line riders. :)

O_O. Did you happen to spot which cars? I saw 5095-5096, 5155-5156, and four others at Midway today, and then they went back towards the loop.

Very interesting sighting and maybe a ray of hope around 10am this morning on the Blue line approaching Cumberland. A westbound eight car train of 5000s signed "Not In Service". Probably heading to Rosemont Yard. I thought it was just another train of 2600s until I spotted the corrugated exterior alongside the cars and the digital destination signs. I thought for a second they might be 3200s. It was really cool to see the new cars on the Blue and I was very happy to see that this morning! I hope its a sign for Blue line riders. :)

Man, today is a day for new beginnings. 5000s sightings on Orange and Blue lines! Maybe next Kedzie will give some 1400s to FG :rolleyes::P:D

• Upvote 1

O_O. Did you happen to spot which cars? I saw 5095-5096, 5155-5156, and four others at Midway today, and then they went back towards the loop.

I couldn't get numbers because I was driving along the Kennedy. Don't want to get distracted then ((((CRASH!!!))) LOL! :) They were all number "50"..... From the very first series of cars.

Well, even if you take the 5000s away from the Pink and Green Lines and move them to the Blue Line, they will still be a minority fleet on the Blue Line, plus it would be political suicide to take away newer equipment from the lines that needed them most. The Green Line was stuck with 2400s for years, and riders won't be happy if they have to go back to older cars.

Well, even if you take the 5000s away from the Pink and Green Lines and move them to the Blue Line, they will still be a minority fleet on the Blue Line, plus it would be political suicide to take away newer equipment from the lines that needed them most. The Green Line was stuck with 2400s for years, and riders won't be happy if they have to go back to older car.

First of all, we dont exactly know what this move I spotted this morning meant! It might mean something! It might mean nothing!. Possibly a political move! And even if by some chance it were a change of equipment from one line to another, I highly doubt this would have any political significance in the upcoming runoff election! Whatever the case may be, the fact remains the Blue line needs new cars as well. CTA has been running the same rail cars on this particular line for over thirty years! I think they have overstayed their welcome! But also I wouldn't put it past dictator Rahm that it could be a political move to get NW side support which he lacks badly!!! Whatever the reason, the fact remains there are more than enough of these new cars to supply to all CTA lines to serve all areas of the city, regardless what anyone thinks or says!! Even a small assignment of 5000s such as 50 or 60 cars would be a welcome change for Blue line riders instead of being stuck in 1985!

... plus it would be political suicide to take away newer equipment from the lines that needed them most. The Green Line was stuck with 2400s for years, and riders won't be happy if they have to go back to older cars.

In the case of the Pink Line, the electoral maps show that Garcia cleaned up in that territory. So, if you want to make any kind of political projection, maybe someone thinks that's time for payback. However, I doubt that is going on.

On the south Green Line, there aren't very many passengers nor voters south of 35th, and on the west Green Line, most of the passengers are from Oak Park, and hence don't vote in that election either.

About the only thing that can be concluded is that with about 60 cars to go, something was going to happen with car assignments, just that it is not yet clear what.

Well, since the Pink Line has only 50 cars, I highly doubt they would send its 5000s to the Blue Line, as it doesn't seem like it would be economical for the Blue Line to maintain a fleet of only 50 5000-series cars vs. 346 2600-series cars, as 5000s would be an extreme minority and would thus increase maintenance and training costs for the yard. Add the Green Line's cars and the 5000s would still make up less than half of the Blue Line fleet.

Well, since the Pink Line has only 50 cars, I highly doubt they would send its 5000s to the Blue Line, as it doesn't seem like it would be economical for the Blue Line to maintain a fleet of only 50 5000-series cars vs. 346 2600-series cars, as 5000s would be an extreme minority and would thus increase maintenance and training costs for the yard. Add the Green Line's cars and the 5000s would still make up less than half of the Blue Line fleet.

Some yard is eventually going to get an incompatible fleet, but I agree it probably won't be the Blue Line.

All of this proposed car shuffling would still require that the Pink and Green Lines get something, and as someone else pointed out, I doubt that it will be 2600s. Could be that the Pink and Green get the last cars, but I said I didn't know if there was any significance that those sighted on the Orange Line were apparently cars from the Green Line, as opposed to 5600s.

In the case of the Pink Line, the electoral maps show that Garcia cleaned up in that territory. So, if you want to make any kind of political projection, maybe someone thinks that's time for payback. However, I doubt that is going on.

On the south Green Line, there aren't very many passengers nor voters south of 35th, and on the west Green Line, most of the passengers are from Oak Park, and hence don't vote in that election either.

About the only thing that can be concluded is that with about 60 cars to go, something was going to happen with car assignments, just that it is not yet clear what.

Some yard is eventually going to get an incompatible fleet, but I agree it probably won't be the Blue Line.

All of this proposed car shuffling would still require that the Pink and Green Lines get something, and as someone else pointed out, I doubt that it will be 2600s. Could be that the Pink and Green get the last cars, but I said I didn't know if there was any significance that those sighted on the Orange Line were apparently cars from the Green Line, as opposed to 5600s.

Oh Oh. :mellow: I said in a post a few months ago that there would be a possibility of the Pink or Green (or both for that matter) loosing some (if not all) of their 5000s in favor of either the Blue or Orange Lines, folks. Yeah, I know it seems unlikely. But look at what's been said so far within the last few posts. Add politics into the mix and............well. It's gonna be interesting to see what happens in the next few months after all this "dust" settles.

Well, I was on Adams/Wabash earlier and I spotted an 8-car set that was not in service coming from the south side (belongs to the Green Line). I'm not sure if it was going to Harlem or any other yard that's relevant.

Heading to the Paulina connector? :P

I am noticing since the Orange line got some #2600's, they seem to be better maintained than the Blue line ones. They do need to mix the fleets a little and give some of those #2600's a break. CTA is really imbalanced, I was thinking today there seemed to be no novas out except at FG, where they can't get a rest either not even on Sunday. CTA has the ability to not run #2600's on the weekend or #6400's yet they run them like it's the latest new thing!! Go figure!! :rolleyes:

• Upvote 3

Shots of #5635-36 @ 69th. Aww the face palm really made this shot (#5635) very hilarious!!! :lol::P

By the way guys, I've noticed a minor change. There are security cameras planted on the run number boxes inside the cabs. It's exclusively on cars 5601-higher at the time being. I'm not sure if they're going to have them planted on all of them.

post-1364-0-30252500-1426275244_thumb.jp

post-1364-0-25916400-1426281336_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

By the way guys, I've noticed a minor change. There are security cameras planted on the run number boxes inside the cabs. It's exclusively on cars 5601-higher at the time being. I'm not sure if they're going to have them planted on all of them.

Do they need proof that they ran someone over, or that the operator is sleeping?

Do they need proof that they ran someone over, or that the operator is sleeping?

He replied elsewhere: Stanley Garmon The camera on the back of the run number box is facing the passengers. For example, it can see what's going on when passengers stands inside the cab and it can see who goes through the emergency doors between cars.

• Upvote 3

I'm on 5262 and it has a new overlay for the LED map. Includes Cermak/McCormick, and Madison/Wabash is gone. The interesting thing is that there's still a hole punched for purple line trains at Madison/Wabash but not at Wilson...

Edit: I actually just realized something...when we saw the 5000s on strange lines the other day (orange, blue), could they have been testing the automatic GPS station announcements with the new maps possibly?

• Upvote 2