5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

Anytime you sit on the end of a car,  you are more likely to feel the swaying of the car as opposed to the middle regardless of the make and model of the train car.  This certainly includes Metra cars.   The fact that you were sitting in an aisle facing seat just gave you a different perspective of back and forth instead of side to side if you were in a forward facing seat. 

​Hi Art;

The majority of the times I ride 5Ks I sit at the ends of the car. This was the first time I recall being rocked so much that my back was bumping the seat. Riding the 5Ks I certainly note the side to side car motion. Maybe the noticeable sideways motion was due to the speed of the train [which may have been faster than I thought].

Gene

​I don't know about what you are referring. The CTA Alerts still say:

Besides that, if half the embankment gave away as of when those pictures were taken, what rational person would think the rest isn't ready to collapse?

​sorry, I meant shuttle, but I see your point, thanks for clearing that up.

Think that's something, I heard a train ran through there about 4 hours before this was called in and the train hit a noticeable dip in the tracks. Good thing it didn't stop or we might have had a back to the future moment when Biff lands in a pile of manure. That's only the sewage plant for most of the north side!!xD

Good thing it didn't stop or we might have had a back to the future moment when Biff lands in a pile of manure. That's only the sewage plant for most of the north side!!xD

Thanks for ruinin' my appetite behind that one. ;S​ Anyone with a weak stomach should not dwell on that comment too long!

Edited by 4CottageGrove95th

Good thing it didn't stop or we might have had a back to the future moment when Biff lands in a pile of manure. That's only the sewage plant for most of the north side!!xD

Like the guy said in Christine. $hit wipes off!!

​Good One:). Kinda gives a whole new meaning to fallin' in "deep doo doo" don't it.

5671-72 and what looked like 5659-60 (not sure on the second pair; couldn't see it well) just went West out of Clark/Lake not in service. Not sure what path they took at Tower 18.

EDIT: Found out what path they took...I just saw them go North from Adams/Wabash. In the time it took my Purple Line to get from Clark/Lake to Adams/Wabash, they also went from Clark/Lake to Adams/Wabash, but the other way around the loop...

Edited by briman94

5671-72 and what looked like 5659-60 (not sure on the second pair; couldn't see it well) just went West out of Clark/Lake not in service. Not sure what path they took at Tower 18.

EDIT: Found out what path they took...I just saw them go North from Adams/Wabash. In the time it took my Purple Line to get from Clark/Lake to Adams/Wabash, they also went from Clark/Lake to Adams/Wabash, but the other way around the loop...

Saw those myself on the outer loop. It was #5669-70. All new cars by the looks of them. They had not in service signs. I thought maybe they were going to blue line Lol!!

• Upvote 1

Saw those myself on the outer loop. It was #5669-70. All new cars by the looks of them. They had not in service signs. I thought maybe they were going to blue line Lol!!

​With Skokie Shops inaccessible right now, I wonder where they are coming from when being delivered from the lowboy trailers.

​With Skokie Shops inaccessible right now, I wonder where they are coming from when being delivered from the lowboy trailers.

​I thought we'd seen 71-72 on the red line recently. That would mean they're not trapped at Skokie. Maybe they're training operators for the brown line for when the orange line gets new cars (brownage)?

​I thought we'd seen 71-72 on the red line recently. That would mean they're not trapped at Skokie. Maybe they're training operators for the brown line for when the orange line gets new cars (brownage)?

​Possibility is there if/when Orange Line gets 5000's. Brown Line operators will need to know how to operate them, as Brownage trains may be ran with Brown Line Operators from time to time. If they can mix the equipment, I'm sure the Operators can be mixed too...

​Those cars have all been in service before the Skokie fiasco. Nothing higher than #5673-74 has been seen though in service, so those are the trapped ones. Could be yes they are training operators for the Orange line as someone seen them go south and I saw them coming from the south.

I was on 5471 this morning and when we pulled into Randolph/Wabash I realized that one of the interior destination signs was off. It had been on earlier in the trip. I looked away and then when I looked back it was on again, correctly reading "Linden." Guess it was just having a bad day?

The destination signs are GPS based and operate according to the run number associated with the Line

​True, but briman's report sounds like a short electrical fault in the one sign. He said "one" of the interior signs, not that the one across the car from it also blinked out.

​True, but briman's report sounds like a short electrical fault in the one sign. He said "one" of the interior signs, not that the one across the car from it also blinked out.

​Correct; the one I was sitting under was fine. The one across from me turned off for a couple minutes, and then back on...I've never seen that happen before. I've seen all the signs turn off all together, but not just one...

​Correct; the one I was sitting under was fine. The one across from me turned off for a couple minutes, and then back on...I've never seen that happen before. I've seen all the signs turn off all together, but not just one...

​Very interesting that 5000's sign that they turned off by itself because it my first  time hearing it on the newer train but older train will change it sign by itself when the train sign hit the sun.

Edited by ArcherRider

Yesterday I was go somewhere so I took Purple Line Express and at Fullerton I saw Red Line 5000's trains reading   "Howard" by the time the Purple Line arrived at Belmont  the same Red Line train waiting for Purple Line  the whole trains read Not in Service instead of Howard.