5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

Fresh with a computer engineering degree, I'll take a stab at answering this :).

Virtually all digital screens, e.g. LED signs, LCD flat-screen TVs, and smartphones, all revolve around 3 fundamental colors: red, green, and blue. These colors were not chosen arbitrarily, but rather, varying combinations of these three color shades maximize the amount of other colors one can produce. (256 colors was a big deal in the 90s! Now you can get several million!)

To put this short, a red color on the 5000s LED sign is most likely a red "channel" at 100%, where green and blue are both set at 0% (and this is for all the "red" LEDs in question). Each LED will have it's own percentage of red, green, and, blue, which will give it its distinct color. This is why, from Rahm's denim shirt's photo, that the red-lacking, normally white "95th" text appears cyan, which matches the picture of the RGB model on Wikipedia.

When you arrange these different "colors" in big arrays, you can form text (LED sign) and pictures (television, monitor, etc.)

Yep.  Green I presume is 100% Green, Pink I presume is a mix of red and blue with more red than blue, Purple is also a mix of red and blue with more blue than red, Yellow I think is a mix of 100% Red and 100% Green, Orange is 100% Red with a some green, Brown is a dim red with some green, and I think the CTA shade of Blue might be 100% Blue with a slight amount of green.

Yep.  Green I presume is 100% Green, Pink I presume is a mix of red and blue with more red than blue, Purple is also a mix of red and blue with more blue than red, Yellow I think is a mix of 100% Red and 100% Green, Orange is 100% Red with a some green, Brown is a dim red with some green, and I think the CTA shade of Blue might be 100% Blue with a slight amount of green.

You can get the 0-255 RGB values by clicking on the color selection dialog box in any paint or drawing program (even "Edit Colors" in Windows Paint).

This reminds me of the real old days when a color TV had an RGB knob. One of the ways I could tell if the TV was properly set was if a CTA bus on the Bob Newhart Show was green rather than orange.

On my computer the Brown looks very accurate. However the Red and the Orange look exactly the same.

Brown looks a bit lighter on the 3200s than the image. If you click the image and click "Full Size" at the bottom left, you can zoom in and orange will look better. I think it also needs to be lighter though.

When I zoomed in, there is a distinction between Red and Orange, but not much.

I downloaded and opened the image in Paint, and the colors are distinct. However, all the ben day (comics term for the dots) makes the image very murky, especially when viewed as embedded in the forum. I assume briman added the ben day to give the impression of individual LEDs.

I downloaded and opened the image in Paint, and the colors are distinct. However, all the ben day (comics term for the dots) makes the image very murky, especially when viewed as embedded in the forum. I assume briman added the ben day to give the impression of individual LEDs.

yeah, those are just the raw textures I use in Train Simulator to make them appear as LEDs (the simulator makes them glow so they blend together better too). I have the original images before I added the dot effect so I could just upload it again using those.

Thursday, Sept. 17, report......FINAL 5000 DEUCE......MAYBE NOT!  Sources tell me we have seen the last 5000 delivery to SKOKIE-SOUTH.

Now before anyone jumps the gun.....#5713-5714 ARE AT SKOKIE!  Sources say that the final two Bombardier 5000s railcars will be saved for participation in "Reopening Ceremonials For The Yellow Line." 

P1130554.jpg

P1130550.jpg

Two shots of Wednesday's delivery #5712 to Skokie-South.....maybe the last delivery until ????

• Upvote 3

Evidently we have seen the last of deliveries of Bombardier 5000 series railcars to 63rd St. lower yard. The final cars #5713-5714 are being held out at Skokie and perhaps they will be used at the Reopening Ceremony whenever the Yellow line opens. In fact, Thursday's delivery to 63rd St. lower yard was #5521 a former Yellow line railcar, suggesting that the newest cars in numerical order might be used as "new" Yellow line cars. A total of thirty-eight 5000 series railcars were transferred by highway trailer since the program began. As of Thursday, six new 5000s were still at 63rd St. lower yard.  They would be moved as a drag consist to 98st St. yard.

P1130672.jpg

P1130627.jpg

The return trip from Skokie with #5521 loaded.

P1110892.jpg

#5521 in its former life as a Yellow line railcar.

• Upvote 2

Just saw those tonight! Only 10 more to be put in service...wow...

Actually only six.....they're saving #5713-5714 for a ceremony. Plus, #5707-5710 is already out. #5711-5712 with #5521-5522 should be the next drag from 63rd St, if not already transferred over the past weekend. Were #5521-5522 the only trapped former Yellow line railcars at Skokie?

P1130641.jpg

This transferred railcar is preparing to enter the main gate at 313 E. 63rd St.

• Upvote 3

If 5713-14 are to be held for Skokie Swift reopening, it might be a LONG time before they are seen. I have hard that MOST of the embankment west of McCormick might have to be removed and replaced as unstable. October? I doubt it. Personally I suspect 5713-14 might be short a few pieces before they can be put into service, same as the last three SEPTA Silverliner V's. They were delivered, but not accepted for several months until the missing pieces were put on.

The agency has CONFIRMED an October start date, there's no need to dispute that. How much more proof is needed, pres. Carter announced it on his exclusive Newsview interview, there are service flyers out stating that service is anticipated to return in October.

As far as the final cars, I kind of suspected that they would launch those when the Yellow Line returned, only makes sense to launch them together.

I would suspect a private ceremony before they are launched and that they also could be the testing cars before the line reopens.