5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

Aside from the flaming of me over CTA going back on its rationale for the Red Line project, given that the O'Hare branch project is just scattered band aids for the next four years, and apparently nothing gets done on the Forest Park segment until IDOT says so, if this is the real rationale, 5750 has a reason to get inflamed. Maybe whoever runs for mayor in 2019 will be on a platform of "suddenly I discovered slow operations on the Blue Line."

Anyway, the 5000s were tested on all lines, so theoretically they should be able to run on them. Also, the Blue Line got new signals south of Jefferson Park, for what we suppose was also to enable running any cars there.

Yes they were tested on all lines, and that testing was done before the Red Line South project as we all know which is why when they listed having to run older cars on the Red Line for four years longer as one of the reasons they absolutely had to shutdown the Dan Ryan end of that line, I was left scratching my head because it didn't make any sense given the before mentioned testing. They could have left that one out and left their reasons at what we all knew, which was that part of the rail line was falling apart and plagued with so many resulting slow zones to make riding through there a nightmare before they completed the rebuild. Those reasons in and of themselves were enough for folks to accept that the work had to be done.

Anyway, I said they might be using some reverse logic of how they did things on the Red Line, but I never advocated that logic as making any sense (to any of us anyway), regardless of which direction you look at it. :lol:

I don't know. It seems to me CTA is obsessed with putting new equipment with newer infrastructure and the older infrastructure just gets the old equipment. I believe the Red line was always slated to get #5000's and we know the blue once was. But when the Airport Express idea blew up, the blue line lost all it's reasons to get new equipment with no new construction or rehab projects on the horizon back then. I believe they then weighed do we want to rather do the Yellow, Orange, Green and Pink which all have new infrastructure and almost all the stations on those lines with handicap access versus the Blue which just has a handful of handicapped stations mostly at key transfer points. Well we know the rest. The Purple line was just thrown in as an extra line. I think that their thinking is by 2019 they'll be well into rehabbing the Forest Park branch with most likely all handicapped station access and they'll have the nw side rehabbed and most likely be searching for ways to get a few more elevators working there. Looks like by 2030 95 percent of all stations will be accessible. I only say that because I don't know if the Oak Park stations on the Green line will ever get elevators or not.

Only on railfans groups like the one here!!

Most transit agency are in the business of giving their patrons travel, and not in the business of hearing railfans. Except the seating, most CTA riders don't care if they ride a 2600, 3200, or a 5000. They want only a safe, clean, an a fast trip.

Fleet requirements in the Chicago "L" scene first happened then the CRT put all the 455 steel cars in a fleet and assigned them to service the Englewood/ Ravenswood and the Jackson Park-Howard-Evanston in the city's initial subway in 1943.

The next fleet change came in 1955 when the subway, the North-South received all 6000 cars and the older steels were assigned to other routes. The 4000s ran on the Milwaukee, Douglas Park, Garfield Park, Ravenswood, Evanston. The CTA said this would put the best performance equipment on its major route. True, the 6201-6510 would spend their entire life there. I wonder if there was others who faulted this move.

In the 1990s, the CTA equipped three routes, the Yellow, the Orange, and the Brown. In 2010's, the CTA equipped the Pink, Green, Yellow, Red, and Purple. Sound's like good management to me.

Not quite correct - a batch of 6400's ran on Ravenswood for about a year circa 1977 when cab signals were being installed systemwide and Ravenswood was still on-sight. Once Rave got cab signals, they went back to NS as "blind motors" until they were scrapped.

Not quite correct - a batch of 6400's ran on Ravenswood for about a year circa 1977 when cab signals were being installed systemwide and Ravenswood was still on-sight. Once Rave got cab signals, they went back to NS as "blind motors" until they were scrapped.

Thanks for correction. Usually I use the 6201 though the 6470 number to keep the cars with the "B" cabs. Why I included the Clark truck cars though 6510 I not know. I remember when we would get cars called we called "westside" to the North-South on seasonal transfers. The St. Louis trucks were heavier and ran smooth.

Thanks for correction. Usually I use the 6201 though the 6470 number to keep the cars with the "B" cabs. Why I included the Clark truck cars though 6510 I not know. I remember when we would get cars called we called "westside" to the North-South on seasonal transfers. The St. Louis trucks were heavier and ran smooth.

Yes sir, 6511 to as high as 6524. They came with the Fall pick and went back on Winter pick.

Don't tell me you remember train phones too.

Yes I do. The operator would board, make me get up so that he could properly set the marker light beneath my seat, open the cab and set his "boom box" on the door bracket. He'd then plug in the cable thick enough to carry enough power to light a city block :lol: .

• Upvote 1

#5473-76 and #5469-70 is in a consist on a purple line presently sb at state/lake. The rest of the #5460's seem to have migrated to purple. #5467-68 and dr pepper wrapped #5463-64 just passed sb at loyola. Skokie Shops has 8 cars ready to go on the shop tracks two single cars in front of the shop and two are sitting on flatbeds so we'll probably see more cars later in the week. I'll post some pictures of #5473-76 tonight.

5479-5482 were travelling SB @ Granville today. Getting closer to 5499-5500. Red/Yellow/Purple has about 336 5000s (5147-5472) and still growing. 5500s will be running soon, maybe up to 5600 before Orange line gets the last 114 cars. Just a thought. But I am sure those 2600 cars from Red/Purple will be shifted to Orange. 2600s-2700s and 2805-2806 to 3197-3198 will be shifted back to Blue.

5479-5482 were travelling SB @ Granville today. Getting closer to 5499-5500. Red/Yellow/Purple has about 336 5000s (5147-5472) and still growing. 5500s will be running soon, maybe up to 5600 before Orange line gets the last 114 cars. Just a thought. But I am sure those 2600 cars from Red/Purple will be shifted to Orange. 2600s-2700s and 2805-2806 to 3197-3198 will be shifted back to Blue.

They can keep them! We have enough 2600s here!

Actually, the blind motors in question were low numbered 6400's. NS had 6400's up to about 6490, but up to 6510 were there at one point. 6511-6720 were WNW form much of their lives, except 6601-6670 were on Rave when new for a while, and high 6600-6700's were on Evanston after 1973 until they were rehabbed and sent to Ravenswood.

So what line were they on? I'm assuming Purple?

As far as your other future transfers, hopefully it won't go down that way. I don't see the Blue really hanging onto anything lower than #2900. I hope CTA is not that blind to put #5000's on a rush hour only service line (Purple except for maybe 16 cars max) and put #3200's on Brownages which only go out in the morning. The Blue line needs at least some #3200's!!.

They can keep them! We have enough 2600s here!

Yesterday I did see a 4 car consist of 2600s heading from the Pink

Line tracks to the Blue Line tracks. I wasn't close enough to get the

car numbers though.

Yesterday I did see a 4 car consist of 2600s heading from the Pink

Line tracks to the Blue Line tracks. I wasn't close enough to get the

car numbers though.

I wrote a strongly worded email to my alderman of what CTA is doing to the NW side residents of this Blue line car insanity. Im hoping my alderman will get back to me soon. IMO, if it were me, I would go to the media with this! So that the residents up this way are aware of this!

I wrote a strongly worded email to my alderman of what CTA is doing to the NW side residents of this Blue line car insanity. Im hoping my alderman will get back to me soon. IMO, if it were me, I would go to the media with this! So that the residents up this way are aware of this!

No pun intended when stating this, but why involve politics on rail assignments. Be thankful that a train even operates and a rail line is in existence period. I would rather address the alderman about improvements to neighborhood services, not about rail car assignments. There is no pun intended within this statement

• Upvote 4

No pun intended when stating this, but why involve politics on rail assignments. Be thankful that a train even operates and a rail line is in existence period. I would rather address the alderman about improvements to neighborhood services, not about rail car assignments. There is no pun intended within this statement

CTA is all politics, but the alderman isn't going to get anything.

• Upvote 1

CTA is all politics, but the alderman isn't going to get anything.

This is the best post you have ever made! And, you have made a lot!

"I wrote a strongly worded email to my alderman of what CTA is doing to the NW side residents of this Blue line car insanity. Im hoping my alderman will get back to me soon. IMO, if it were me, I would go to the media with this! So that the residents up this way are aware of this!"

• Upvote 2

Well, my post or gripe itself is about car assignments new as opposed to old, but to the politicians this isnt about the status of car assignments. We all know alderman dont concern themselves with this.Im not out looking for recognition or or fame! :) Im just trying address something I strongly believe in. I feel in this case I have a valid argument. Ive discussed this with CTA people, some see my point, some dont! My point about involving politics sometimes thats the only way to go to get what best for the citizens in a particular area. Weve seen this in the past. Honestly, just seeing how this city and this country have been run the last couple years, I dont have much faith in politics anymore!. But sometimes this is the only way to see how something gets done! Believe me, politics would be my last thought! :) I wish some here could understand the point Im making of seeing the fairness of how CTA unfairly assigns its new equipment and to add to insult sending more old equipment. If the roles were reversed there would be outrage in other parts of the city. This would end up on the 10pm news! Its happened in the past! But instead a few choose to challenge me on this subject. Everyone has a right to their opinions but if they could put themselves in our position here on the nw side, they would feel the same outrage.

So what line were they on? I'm assuming Purple?

As far as your other future transfers, hopefully it won't go down that way. I don't see the Blue really hanging onto anything lower than #2900. I hope CTA is not that blind to put #5000's on a rush hour only service line (Purple except for maybe 16 cars max) and put #3200's on Brownages which only go out in the morning. The Blue line needs at least some #3200's!!.

Well, my post or gripe itself is about car assignments new as opposed to old, but to the politicians this isnt about the status of car assignments. We all know alderman dont concern themselves with this.Im not out looking for recognition or or fame! :) Im just trying address something I strongly believe in. I feel in this case I have a valid argument. Ive discussed this with CTA people, some see my point, some dont! My point about involving politics sometimes thats the only way to go to get what best for the citizens in a particular area. Weve seen this in the past. Honestly, just seeing how this city and this country have been run the last couple years, I dont have much faith in politics anymore!. But sometimes this is the only way to see how something gets done! Believe me, politics would be my last thought! :) I wish some here could understand the point Im making of seeing the fairness of how CTA unfairly assigns its new equipment and to add to insult sending more old equipment. If the roles were reversed there would be outrage in other parts of the city. This would end up on the 10pm news! Its happened in the past! But instead a few choose to challenge me on this subject. Everyone has a right to their opinions but if they could put themselves in our position here on the nw side, they would feel the same outrage.

Let me make this perfectly clear. First, concerning the 5000s 9since this is a 5000 series thread), I am in agreement with you. I certainly thought the Blue Line would be first in getting them and instead didn't get any. I think 2019 or 2020 is a long time to wait to get new equipment. I would think transferring some 3200s would help, but honestly they are not much newer than the upper 2600s. Like I said in previous posts, if the 2600s start breaking down in extremely short intervals and in large numbers, perhaps CTA would be forced to put some 5000s there. Meantime remember those ragged 2600s still run on the West Side as well, so any westsiders that live near the Ike have to ride the same equipment.

What Line do you suggest gives up its 5000s to Blue? Pink? Not enough equipment to make a difference. REd? It being the busiest line, no. Also, as long as Red has 5000s, the Yellow and Purple will too. That only leaves the Green Line or both Green and Pink Lines. which would only equip less than half of the Blue Line. The NW side would still have some 2600s and Mayor Rahm would assure his defeat in the next election by taking away the 5000s from those two lines and replacing them with 2600s..

My point with you was concerning the buses and saying wait until the 7900s are fully delivered before ranting about the NW side not getting any new equipment. If FG doesn't get any, then that is a different story. Also ,if you didn't know, FG also operates the 85 and 91 routes which run through the west side along with the many Novas that got assigned to Chicago Ave.

What Line do you suggest gives up its 5000s to Blue? ..

I had previously suggested that 714 cars would be enough or close enough to stock Red and Blue. Aside from any issue of running mixed equipment at Howard Yard (and apparently that's no longer an issue, according to the statements made when the 7000s procurement was cancelled), there really isn't the justification to have them on the other lines. As I previously noted, all except 8 on the Purple would only be used 6 hours a day.

I hear you, but if it's politics that's deciding this, the NW side don't have the power to decide a mayoral election. If anything don't vote for your Alderman anymore because they are not standing up to your rights as a passenger of the CTA. Not only are things unfair at CTA they are unfair in the wards too. One alderman on the north side has replaced nearly all the streetlights whether it is poles or just fixtures. By me it's just one street.

In a way I'm glad the #5000's are not coming to the NW side. I like looking out the window on a train and not at someone's butt or the homeless man across from me who just wet himself. CTA will not change the spec so it's there own folly. The #7000's are going to be the better car. Wouldn't you rather have something better than something worse? As far as the #2600's and #2700's most will probably end up at the scrapper. So at least you'll have the newer #2600's on the blue and who knows if we are lucky maybe the #3200's too in a rehabbed state. I think 2015 is going to be the NW side's lucky year, they should get #3200's and most likely #8100's or #8200's or both.

I had previously suggested that 714 cars would be enough or close enough to stock Red and Blue. Aside from any issue of running mixed equipment at Howard Yard (and apparently that's no longer an issue, according to the statements made when the 7000s procurement was cancelled), there really isn't the justification to have them on the other lines. As I previously noted, all except 8 on the Purple would only be used 6 hours a day.

I believed that too, but somehow Pink and Green got first dibbs. Pink I understand from a teething out standpoint, but then those cars along with subsequent deliveries could've gone to Blue and REd. However with the 2400s (after the 2200s) being the oldest in the fleet and stuck primarily on the West and South sides, putting new equipment there keeps a political constituency intact. There is nothing really that suggests that future deliveries couldn't go there, but there is nothing that suggests that will actually happen.