5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

"I wrote a strongly worded email to my alderman of what CTA is doing to the NW side residents of this Blue line car insanity. Im hoping my alderman will get back to me soon. IMO, if it were me, I would go to the media with this! So that the residents up this way are aware of this!"

I wonder that this alderman will think of this. Previously I stated that I think the average Blue rider wants clean, safe, and speedy ride and they could care less what a railfan would like. We all know many Chicagoans care less for the 5000s and their seats.

Are the 2600s that bad? New York runs 6342 cars, of which 1085 are older than the 2600s. Another 1530 are the same age at the 2600s. So New York runs 2615 cars day in and day out the same age or older. WTF!!!! This is what your alderman would look at. Perhaps, someone would do the age for the Washington DC Metro. They are bigger than us.

Our writer to the alderman found no support in a Facebook Chicago L list. Actually some people there turned their hands down. They would rather 6000s come back, if not, 2000s or even 4000s.

Maybe in October 5750 can contact WGN News and give them the scoop of the story, after all Channel 9 is closest to the NW side. They could do a November Sweeps story on the neglected NW side with its higher numbered Novas and antiquated 2600s. Honestly if CTA could keep those cars cleaned, climate controlled, and running, other than the lack of a railfan seat, I prefer them to the 5000s I don't have to fight or pray that the accessible seats are available on the 5000s or risk getting stuck looking at someone's scrotum or butt.

Was that that Red colored wrap that says it's coming I think August 5th?

Emirates starts O'Hare to Dubai on August 5th, so probably.

As long as the A/C is working, I'll take an "ancient" 2600 over a brand new 5000.

I want to sit like a civilized being, not a squeezed sardine with my thighs getting cut off by those damn stanchions..

I second this. When I commuted home from UIC, I always enjoyed the ride on the Blue Line more than the Green Line. More seats that were more comfortable were great, especially when I knew I had to stand in a 5000 the rest of the way. It was a miracle if I got a non stanchion seat.

• Upvote 3

Just picked up the latest edition of First/Fastest yesterday. It talks of the 5000s. The Blue Line will not recieve them! They will continue using the worn out 2600s.

Just picked up the latest edition of First/Fastest yesterday. It talks of the 5000s. The Blue Line will not recieve them! They will continue using the worn out 2600s.

Are the 2600s that bad? New York runs 6342 cars, of which 1085 are older than the 2600s. Another 1530 are the same age at the 2600s. So New York runs 2615 cars day in and day out the same age or older. WTF!!!! This is what your alderman would look at. Perhaps, someone would do the age for the Washington DC Metro. They are bigger than us.

The problem is that the 2600s aren't as well up-kept. They're dirty and falling apart on the inside, and it's hard to find one that doesn't have flat spots on the wheels which makes for some...interesting...acceleration and braking, to say the least. It seems like if they're going to keep the 2600s on the blue line for more than a year or so, they need to fix the wheels and maybe revamp the propulsion systems too. And clean them for once.
  • Upvote 3

The problem is that the 2600s aren't as well up-kept. They're dirty and falling apart on the inside, and it's hard to find one that doesn't have flat spots on the wheels which makes for some...interesting...acceleration and braking, to say the least. It seems like if they're going to keep the 2600s on the blue line for more than a year or so, they need to fix the wheels and maybe revamp the propulsion systems too. And clean them for once.

Have you expressed your concerns to the Blue line manager?

A friend of mine was riding the Blue Line from the Illinois Medical District station recently. According to her, the car she was on had a terrible AC. From what she told me, it was making some horrific noises and causing the floor of the car to vibrate. I don't know how much is exaggeration, but it sounded like that car needed to be checked out.

She plans to ride the Green and Brown lines for her commute in the future because of her concerns of the Blue Line construction and the overall condition of the 2600s.

A friend of mine was riding the Blue Line from the Illinois Medical District station recently. According to her, the car she was on had a terrible AC. From what she told me, it was making some horrific noises and causing the floor of the car to vibrate. I don't know how much is exaggeration, but it sounded like that car needed to be checked out.

She plans to ride the Green and Brown lines for her commute in the future because of her concerns of the Blue Line construction and the overall condition of the 2600s.

I've had them do that on occasion. Pretty annoying. I was on one the other day...the last two cars had no destination signs and the first half of the ride were vibrating when stopped like the motors were fighting the other cars or something. Then at one station they rocked back and forth losely for a little while after stopping like they had no brakes and it was just the other 6 cars keeping them still.

I've had them do that on occasion. Pretty annoying. I was on one the other day...the last two cars had no destination signs and the first half of the ride were vibrating when stopped like the motors were fighting the other cars or something. Then at one station they rocked back and forth losely for a little while after stopping like they had no brakes and it was just the other 6 cars keeping them still.

I guess in the best case scenario, it was a bad electrical connection at the couplers. However if I had a dollar for every time I saw a Blue Line train with messed up roll signs, I'd be able to pay the CTA to fix them...

I guess in the best case scenario, it was a bad electrical connection at the couplers. However if I had a dollar for every time I saw a Blue Line train with messed up roll signs, I'd be able to pay the CTA to fix them...

I think you'd have extra. Maybe you could pay for LED sign conversions? :P

Wow! I guess Im not the only one who sees this huh??? Maybe someone needs to take a ride on the 2600s!!!

Us blue line riders deserve the 3200s

The 3200s would be a good and acceptable addition to the Blue line if it cant get the 5000s. But the CTA wont even make that move! But Im getting so much attitude about it here! Im glad to know Im not the only one who sees this!!!

Thank you for making a valid point Briman! Instead were being lectured how NYCTA runs, assigns and compares their railcar fleet to the 2600s!!! I guess NYCTA runs CTA!!!

The other issue is that, unlike New York (and to a lesser extent, Washington), the majority of CTA trains operate above ground, exposing them to worse weather (depending on who you talk to) when compared to DC and New York.

I wonder that this alderman will think of this. Previously I stated that I think the average Blue rider wants clean, safe, and speedy ride and they could care less what a railfan would like. We all know many Chicagoans care less for the 5000s and their seats.

Our writer to the alderman found no support in a Facebook Chicago L list. Actually some people there turned their hands down. They would rather 6000s come back, if not, 2000s or even 4000s.

Actually NYCTA still has a few R-32's in service, which were contemporaries of the 2000's!