5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

#5403-04 have the White Sox wraps (not full wraps). Sucks for the ones who are Cubs fans! :P

Has there ever been a Cubs wrap (I don't think the little model CTA trains count)?

Shots of #5467-68 @ Fullerton. Damn this rain! :lol:

Yup, the rain sucked. Delayed my flight from Florida, and when we finally took off, we had to fly almost to Kansas City before turning towards Chicago. At least the 5000s got a bath.

Has there ever been a Cubs wrap (I don't think the little model CTA trains count)?

Yup, the rain sucked. Delayed my flight from Florida, and when we finally took off, we had to fly almost to Kansas City before turning towards Chicago. At least the 5000s got a bath.

I've never seen one during my years on this earth nor promotional ad wraps of them. At least you made it back here safely and you didn't miss that much on here! :lol:

I've never seen one during my years on this earth nor promotional ad wraps of them. At least you made it back here safely and you didn't miss that much on here! :lol:

Until recently, they didn't have a need to advertise to get attendance, and now it wouldn't do any good.

Other than the World Series tribute (a long 8 years ago), CTA is not doing the Sox one gratis.

Yellow Line: 6; Purple Line: 20; Pink Line: 46; Green Line: 100; and Red Line: 292. That totals up to 464 cars.

Blue Line- Only the longest and one of the busiest rapid transit lines next to the Red Line Number of cars.... 0!!!

Well just get the hand me downs!!! With such a large order, I just cant believe none of these cars have been assigned to the Blue Line! CTA really does a good job distributing equipment equally around the city!!! Yeah right!!!

Blue Line- Only the longest and one of the busiest rapid transit lines next to the Red Line Number of cars.... 0!!!

Well just get the hand me downs!!! With such a large order, I just cant believe none of these cars have been assigned to the Blue Line! CTA really does a good job distributing equipment equally around the city!!! Yeah right!!!

When the 7000s get here you'll get your wish.

I hope so!!! But we shouldn't have to wait that long! Considering the amount of cars in the 5000 order they could have distributed them better! Theres no reason why the Blue couldn't have received some! In the meantime, even with the 2400s on their way out, the Blue will for now and for the forseeable future continue to run the oldest cars in the system!

I hope so!!! But we shouldn't have to wait that long! Considering the amount of cars in the 5000 order they could have distributed them better! Theres no reason why the Blue couldn't have received some! In the meantime, even with the 2400s on their way out, the Blue will for now and for the forseeable future continue to run the oldest cars in the system!

Well not all of the 2600s are on the Blue Line. Some are on the Red and Purple Lines, and about 8 of them made their way to the Orange Line recently.

Well not all of the 2600s are on the Blue Line. Some are on the Red and Purple Lines, and about 8 of them made their way to the Orange Line recently.

True, but the majority of the 2600s were shipped to the Blue Line to cover the retirement of the 2200s. What CTA should have done was replace the 2200s with 3200s if were not chosen to get new cars. But CTA seems to get into the habit of shipping old equipment, not just railcars also buses to the NW side. While the south and west sides enjoy new equipment The CTA recently shipped most of its oldest 6400 series Nova buses to Forest Glen I was on the job when Forest Glen was the last garage to retire the very beat up MAN Americanas and Flyer D901s. We were also the last garage to receive the 2001 Novas. This is a very unfair trend CTA gets into the habit of doing I have made phone calls to the alderman concerning this issue. Im still waiting for a response.

True, but the majority of the 2600s were shipped to the Blue Line to cover the retirement of the 2200s. The 7000s wont be built for another four to five years! What CTA should have done was replace the 2200s with 3200s if were not chosen to get new cars. But CTA seems to get into the habit of shipping old equipment, not just railcars also buses to the NW side. While the south and west sides enjoy new equipment The CTA recently shipped most of its oldest 6400 series Nova buses to Forest Glen I was on the job when Forest Glen was the last garage to retire the very beat up MAN Americanas and Flyer D901s. We were also the last garage to receive the 2001 Novas. This is a very unfair trend CTA gets into the habit of doing I have made phone calls to the alderman concerning this issue. Im still waiting for a response.

So I suppose South and West Siders don't deserve new equipment, just the Northwest Siders, huh?

If I remember correctly, the newest 4300s were taken from 77th and shipped up to North Park.

As

far as I am concerned, FG can have ALL of the 7900 Novas and they can

stay there until they fall apart. The problem is that streets on the

south and west sides are in such bad shape that leaving ragged equipment

there would lead to very bad or no service on those sides of town. But

as long as those NW siders have new equipment, who cares?

BTW, those same ragged 2600 series Blue Line trains that run on the NW side also run through the West Side as well.

You say the Green and Pink Lines have the 5000s and they too run on the West Side:

The Pink Line was chosen first to 'teeth" any problems the new cars were having.

The Green Line as constituted historically had some of the oldest cars from its inception in 1993. All of the 2000s mixed in with some 27xxs ran the Green Line until its two year shutdown. Upon its reopening, the oldest 2400s, actually over half of the 2400s were shipped to the Green Line while the Purple Line got the upper 25xxs with a mix of 2600s (in the 29xx) range.

I'm not exactly sure where you were going with your post, bu you are heading down a slippery slope.

True, but the majority of the 2600s were shipped to the Blue Line to cover the retirement of the 2200s. What CTA should have done was replace the 2200s with 3200s if were not chosen to get new cars. But CTA seems to get into the habit of shipping old equipment, not just railcars also buses to the NW side. While the south and west sides enjoy new equipment The CTA recently shipped most of its oldest 6400 series Nova buses to Forest Glen I was on the job when Forest Glen was the last garage to retire the very beat up MAN Americanas and Flyer D901s. We were also the last garage to receive the 2001 Novas. This is a very unfair trend CTA gets into the habit of doing I have made phone calls to the alderman concerning this issue. Im still waiting for a response.

Not all of the oldest 6400s are at Forest Glen. Some are at Chicago and some are at 74th. Not all of CTA's oldest bus fleets were at one garage at any point (5300s, 6000s and 4400s were all at different garages prior to retirements). And I'm pretty sure that it was North Park to have the aging 4000 MAN's last.

So I suppose South and West Siders don't deserve new equipment, just the Northwest Siders, huh?

If I remember correctly, the newest 4300s were taken from 77th and shipped up to North Park.

As

far as I am concerned, FG can have ALL of the 7900 Novas and they can

stay there until they fall apart. The problem is that streets on the

south and west sides are in such bad shape that leaving ragged equipment

there would lead to very bad or no service on those sides of town. But

as long as those NW siders have new equipment, who cares?

BTW, those same ragged 2600 series Blue Line trains that run on the NW side also run through the West Side as well.

You say the Green and Pink Lines have the 5000s and they too run on the West Side:

The Pink Line was chosen first to 'teeth" any problems the new cars were having.

The Green Line as constituted historically had some of the oldest cars from its inception in 1993. All of the 2000s mixed in with some 27xxs ran the Green Line until its two year shutdown. Upon its reopening, the oldest 2400s, actually over half of the 2400s were shipped to the Green Line while the Purple Line got the upper 25xxs with a mix of 2600s (in the 29xx) range.

I'm not exactly sure where you were going with your post, bu you are heading down a slippery slope.

Youre missing my point! You obviously don't live on the NW side so you don't understand the argument Im trying to make here! First, my issue is not the south and west sides getting the new equipment. My concern is why does it seem that the NW side riders are having to ride the oldest equipment either trains or buses in the CTA fleet when a large number of new buses and rail cars are currently being delivered and we don't see any of them where we live!!! Every part of the city should have the right to new and good equipment! We are all taxpayers and we all have a right to good transit equipment! I just think it should be a fair and balanced distribution which is not been the case lately with CTA! . The Blue runs through the west side and those riders do have to ride those cars as well. But they also have access to the Green line which has the new cars! The NW side only has one option, the Blue Line! Plus this line serves one of the two Chicago major airports. As I stated, I don't have an issue with the Red and Green lines running new equipment. I would just like to see a fair distribution. The 4300 series buses, there were only 100 delivered!!! CTAs bus fleet is much larger than that! And BTW, those buses mainly serve the riders along the north shore areas of the city, the lakefront and downtown.They do not serve areas northwest of the city! So that is not a valid argument! There has to be a question of why is one part of the city having to ride "hand me down" equipment while the rest of the city enjoys new or refurbished trains and buses??? I said before I would be satisfied seeing rehabbed 3200 series cars on the Blue but that too dosent look like a possibility that will happen! It just seems to be that the NW side is always shunned by the CTA! You misread my post!!! Whats the problem with the nw side being able to enjoy new equipment as well??? The Blue may not see new equipment for another five to seven years!!! That is totally unfair considering its youngest cars, the 3100 series were delivered almost thirty years ago!!! A fact that I will raise to my alderman when I finally get a chance to speak about this! So, what is slippery slope are you talking about??? That I am stating facts??? I am just a concerned rider who feels CTA is giving the NW side areas the "short end" of the stick while the rest of the city enjoys riding new or nearly new equipment!

To this extent, 5750 is correct, in that if the first 7000s show up in 2019, as the news reports indicate, it is going to take until about 2022 to get the Blue Line completely equipped. Of course, by then, the 5000s will probably be wrecks (or at least encrusted in feces), so the debate will have flipped.

I also agree that if the point were to replace 2200s, the Blue Line should have received the cars first (or maybe second after testing them on the Pink Line), and including up to about 5360. The Blue Line first was what was first represented to the media, but somehow the allocation changed. But then I suppose the other parts of town would have griped.

Otherwise, if one was talking about maintaining mixed operation of 2600s and 5000s on various lines, that theoretically could have caused operational difficulties. However, unless enough cars are being obtained so that the Pink, Green, Red, Yellow and Purple Lines are all 5000s, and the Blue, Orange, and Brown Lines are all either DC or 7000s, some line is going to get incompatible equipment for the next 30 years. Then, I guess, Midway Yard would have to decide whether to send out a 5000s or 7000s train.

How this got to buses, I don't know, but I've said since about 2007 that the bus allocations didn't make any sense. Just ask anyone served by 74th.