1000-series D40LF - Updates & Retirements

BusHunter

1252 is a rehabbed bus I drove that one not too long ago while doing the 111&115. It's fully rehabbed from the new clever device, lights, and even the seats. 1534 is slightly rehabbed it just has the new engine in the back but still the same lights and clever device. 1040 is rehabbed for the exception of the interior lights. 1257 and 1539 are as well and you can add 1027, 1472, 1474, 76,78, 1495,1515 & 1527 to the rehabbed list. These are all buses from 103rd of course that's how I know. 1798 is also rehabbed.

I had that bus earlier this week, 1499 rides good too.

Very well then. You came in handy and thanks for the info.

Ordinance 012-148 also has the contracts for the overhauls. Cummins N Power has 1000-1629 and New Flyer for 1630 to 2029, although it wasn't originally broken down that way. Also note "excluding bus 1005,"

Separate ordinance 013-085 authorized a separate contract for the "Led interior lights." So, as I said before, the two parts of the overhaul are not linked.

Ordinance 012-148 also has the contracts for the overhauls. Cummins N Power has 1000-1629 and New Flyer for 1630 to 2029, although it wasn't originally broken down that way. Also note "excluding bus 1005,"

Separate ordinance 013-085 authorized a separate contract for the "Led interior lights." So, as I said before, the two parts of the overhaul are not linked.

Somewhat confusing is that both NF and Cummins N Power were awarded to rehab the 1630-2029 buses. I wonder why they need both companies?

I couldn't help but notice SIMS management paid $1.1 million for the NABI bus scrap contract. Add that to the NABi court judgment, $36 million and the total comes to about $37.11 million. It cost the CTA $102 million to purchase the buses, so they almost got half there money back and the buses were used for 3-6 years so in the end CTA probably came out a winner.

Somewhat confusing is that both NF and Cummins N Power were awarded to rehab the 1630-2029 buses. I wonder why they need both companies?

There are notations in parentheses that NPower got 1430-1629 and New Flyer got 1630-2029. I don't know how CTA broke up the 2nd requisition (note that the item numbers end in A and B ).

Then there are the savants on the different kinds of Cummins engines in the various options.

Wow then CTA did better than I thought they did. They got half their money back without figuring depreciation. BTW, did you ever find an ordinance for #1005, or would that be considered something done in house?

Google for 1005 only comes up with "excluding." BTW, it looks like the Google Doodle is taking a slam at Putin.

1165 & 1681 at Kedzie are also done

I thought 1165 was very first mentioned being done.

I just found an ordinance for 1,050 NF LED lighting kits. Could they be installing lighting kits in the hybrid #800's and #900's?

http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/ordinances/013-85.pdf

Given Busjack mentioned that the lighting work is separate from the other more extensive work on the 1000s themselves for rehabbing, it's quite possible.

While dining in Hyde Park this evening I saw a number of New Flyers on #15. I couldn't see the vehicle numbers but I noticed many did not have the URL decal.The buses looked very clean. Were they likely rehabbed?

If they didn't have any decal at all, most likely they were just very clean buses that haven't been rehabbed yet. Just about all the rehabbed buses externally have the "transitchicago.com" decal, either newly applied or applied in place of the older "www.transitchicago.com" one, and updated versions of the "Kneeling bus" and illegal right turns in front of bus decals. On that note, there is a possibility that 1614 from Kedzie is rehabbed because its "www.transitchicago.com" decal has been replaced with "transitchicago.com", and it has the other external clues that makes one pay closer attention to it the next time they ride it and keep an eye out for the other clues that say rehabbed bus. It was deadheading along Roosevelt Road back to Kedzie Garage this morning, so there was no riding this one to look for those other clues. It's falling victim to the temporary dirty bus syndrome due to the slush, snow and drying salt of this very snowy winter wouldn't make you think of the possibility of this bus having undergone a rehab recently though. :lol:

#1058 is rehabbed on the #76, #1331 on the #54 might be. It has the newer transitchicago logo, but #1232 had all the indications of a rehab, including that, but it didn't have the new lighting so I took it off the list.

I wouldn't be too hasty about doubting 1232's rehab status given Busjack was able to discover that the lighting part of the rehabs are a separate job from the more extensive rehab work involving the buses' innards.