1000-series D40LF - Updates & Retirements

BusHunter

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

I'm not surprised but it still makes me wonder if they'll keep them long term for the Fall pick and beyond.

good question lol……..it feels weird seeing them at NP considering it’s a mixed 1700’s and 1800’s garage wit like 4 1900’s maybe they’ll end up at Forest Glen but at the end of the day who knows 

11 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

good question lol……..it feels weird seeing them at NP considering it’s a mixed 1700’s and 1800’s garage wit like 4 1900’s maybe they’ll end up at Forest Glen but at the end of the day who knows 

It's more likely the case that NP's Options 3 buses are falling apart and it needs the base order ones.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

It's more likely the case that NP's Options 3 buses are falling apart and it needs the base order ones.

That was the same conclusion I came to because NP is short about 20+ 40 footers right now so the moves make sense for what it's worth along with Chicago and Kedzie. They're short 15 -20 buses as well but eventually these 1000s and 1100s will get shafted for the next wave of 8350s coming into service.

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

That was the same conclusion I came to because NP is short about 20+ 40 footers right now so the moves make sense for what it's worth along with Chicago and Kedzie. They're short 15 -20 buses as well but eventually these 1000s and 1100s will get shafted for the next wave of 8350s coming into service.

Matter of fact, I think I remember seeing on the list of buses down because of a wait for maintenance that a lot of them were buses from North Park and Kedzie. So it makes sense that a lot of the New Flyers displaced from 103rd by 8350s are going to those two instead of being retired outright. Why retire buses that can go to garages that would be short because of a maintenance backlog? Now when 8350s start hitting other garages in larger numbers than the current relative handfuls, then it would make sense that we'd see New Flyer standards retire in a larger capacity.

7 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Matter of fact, I think I remember seeing on the list of buses down because of a wait for maintenance that a lot of them were buses from North Park and Kedzie. So it makes sense that a lot of the New Flyers displaced from 103rd by 8350s are going to those two instead of being retired outright. Why retire buses that can go to garages that would be short because of a maintenance backlog? Now when 8350s start hitting other garages in larger numbers than the current relative handfuls, then it would make sense that we'd see New Flyer standards retire in a larger capacity.

I say why retire them if they ate still in good enough shape to hit the streets do them like the 6400's was done the ones that's not rusted out let them run until they kill themselves 

22 minutes ago, jajuan said:

You're right but seeing how recent history has shown that whenever new buses get delivered the older ones either get moved up north or they'll just retire them on the spot if indeed enough are in bad shape and eligible for retirement. If C,K, & NP weren't short on buses that were 08-09 model years those 06 models would've been gone by now to some extent. If 103rd gets the remaining 26 buses currently at SS that'll put them close to breaking even with the amount of #1000s they have left to finally ship out to other garages. 

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

You're right but seeing how recent history has shown that whenever new buses get delivered the older ones either get moved up north or they'll just retire them on the spot if indeed enough are in bad shape and eligible for retirement. If C,K, & NP weren't short on buses that were 08-09 model years those 06 models would've been gone by now to some extent. If 103rd gets the remaining 26 buses currently at SS that'll put them close to breaking even with the amount of #1000s they have left to finally ship out to other garages. 

There is also the point made by @Busjack about how hard NP and K run their buses by virtue of their local routes outside of the Lake Shore Expresses tend to be much longer routes than those out of 103rd. The only two significantly long are the 29 and the current recombined 95.

5 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

I would say it makes sense to begin the retirements now that we are basically nearing completion of the #8450s and with the #8550s coming in which CTA says the additional 500 will replace these

17 hours ago, jajuan said:

There is also the point made by @Busjack about how hard NP and K run their buses by virtue of their local routes outside of the Lake Shore Expresses tend to be much longer routes than those out of 103rd. The only two significantly long are the 29 and the current recombined 95.

I don't recall saying that. What I said was that whatever the cause of OOS, a LTH is on death's door, and the vast majority of LTHs reported here are option 3 and 4, from 1630 up. That coincides with them converting to a carbon steel frame wrapped in aluminum, instead of stainless steel. So, as @Shannoncvpi put it, if CTA is waiting for the bus to rust out, those will first.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

I don't recall saying that. What I said was that whatever the cause of OOS, a LTH is on death's door, and the vast majority of LTHs reported here are option 3 and 4, from 1630 up. That coincides with them converting to a carbon steel frame wrapped in aluminum, instead of stainless steel. So, as @Shannoncvpi put it, if CTA is waiting for the bus to rust out, those will first.

Yea alot of them they are waiting for them to rust through or slap some metal on them & put them back on the street but tbh I say they should just let them kill themselves 

11 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

1449 & 46 is back at 6 1449 was on the 63 when I seen it still rocking the C sticker & 46 was last seen on the 55

C sent buses back with all those buses I saw on the dead line stretched around the garage yesterday? I saw so many #600s and ,#1000s, and #8100s sitting around the garage dead. 

C sent buses back with all those buses I saw on the dead line stretched around the garage yesterday? I saw so many #600s and ,#1000s, and #8100s sitting around the garage dead. 

Dam dawg you should have told me you was over at C I would have spin out cause I had downtime since my bus had broke down so all of the 14's we had are back south 

13 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Naw they was over at C after that they might have gotten sent from C to 3

If you look on maths22 bustracker they have only been in service of 6 routes since early March (except for 1449 which was at 103rd for a period).

If they were at C in that period they were not used in service or not tracking (1446 has nothing recorded from 4/2-6/7 except 5/4 and 5/5 at 6, and 1449 has nothing recorded from 7/3-7/25)

12 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Dam dawg you should have told me you was over at C I would have spin out cause I had downtime since my bus had broke down so all of the 14's we had are back south 

It was a quick trip from the Blue Line I took to get over there and back. I would of stayed longer but they had rookies training in the back so I didn't want to get in the way parking over there.

5 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

It was a quick trip from the Blue Line I took to get over there and back. I would of stayed longer but they had rookies training in the back so I didn't want to get in the way parking over there.

Wait was you over there today dawg cause it was a bus in training on Harrison today about 11 some this am 

So I've come to realize something with these looming retirements for the #1000s. I've noticed an X etched out on a bunch of them as of late on the rear engine door. Now that doesn't mean they'll be retired before the year is out but I have noticed that on buses in the boneyard and a select few on buses out of 77th and 103rd for the past few months. Something to keep an eye on as the year progresses.

23 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

So I've come to realize something with these looming retirements for the #1000s. I've noticed an X etched out on a bunch of them as of late on the rear engine door. Now that doesn't mean they'll be retired before the year is out but I have noticed that on buses in the boneyard and a select few on buses out of 77th and 103rd for the past few months. Something to keep an eye on as the year progresses.

Aw if those buses got an X spray painted on them then they are retired they only do that when they retire them