1000-series D40LF - Updates & Retirements

BusHunter

28 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

I've got some more editions to the boneyard this afternoon that I may of missed this morning. #1634, #1658, #1659, #1661, #1668 , #1669, #1682, #1694, #1782, #1816, #1836, #1887, and #1953. 

Again, all option 3 and 4 buses.

5 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

I've got some more editions to the boneyard this afternoon that I may of missed this morning. #1634, #1658, #1659, #1661, #1668 , #1669, #1682, #1694, #1782, #1816, #1836, #1887, and #1953. 

Literally 2008 and 2009 modeled 1000s are shitting themselves

3 hours ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

1887 and 1953 are the only one's out of this thats confirmed retired

I don’t think they’re confirmed retired as far as I know it’s #1646 and #1697 don’t take my word for it tho I could be incorrect. Rest are OOS/LTH. The ones seen with parts taken away are also a sign of deaths door with the two I listed.

12 hours ago, Bus1883 said:

I don’t think they’re confirmed retired as far as I know it’s #1646 and #1697 don’t take my word for it tho I could be incorrect. Rest are OOS/LTH. The ones seen with parts taken away are also a sign of deaths door with the two I listed.

If I'm posting about them being back there more than likely they're on the chopping block to be placed on LTH/300. 

12 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

300 stands for scrap from my understanding of it.

10 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Aw ok dam well shit it's some flyers back there in all numbers with that 

They used to just spray paint them DEFUELED and SCRAP. Now it's too technical.

But given the photos of lines of buses with LTH-300 placards, no reason not to advertise a solicitation for a scrap contract.

4 hours ago, Busjack said:

They used to just spray paint them DEFUELED and SCRAP. Now it's too technical.

But given the photos of lines of buses with LTH-300 placards, no reason not to advertise a solicitation for a scrap contract.

Yea you got a point cause when the scrappers come to get the novas they can get the other ones & made a deal for them also 

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

CTA still has to take bids for the 1000s, which it hasn't yet.

You're correct, a lot of 3rd and 4th options Flyers #1600 on up on are back there and some do have the stickers placed on them now. The next several months I'm sure bids will be made on them but the way things have been going with the last 97 #6400s Still awaiting to be hauled off it will indeed be a while.

37 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

You're correct, a lot of 3rd and 4th options Flyers #1600 on up on are back there and some do have the stickers placed on them now. The next several months I'm sure bids will be made on them but the way things have been going with the last 97 #6400s Still awaiting to be hauled off it will indeed be a while.

On the latter, CTA awarded the contract (ordinance), so it's up to SMS to haul them off.

On the other hand, there hasn't  been a solicitation for 1000s yet.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, andrethebusman99 said:

Hopefully some of the 6000s in the back will go away one day. Some have been there since before 2009 (that's 15 years, almost as long as they were in service!)

A good chunk were back there for lengthy litigation purposes which by this time should of worked themselves out. #6029 aka the fresh moves bus should of been long gone after getting canned in 2014. Yet it sits back there. A few #6000 WBs sit back there as well that should of been long gone as yet they still sit there. The only one that realistically should be back there still is #6031 since it was the only one with wreck damage and legal hold signage placed on the door and windshield. Another thing that's puzzling to me is the fact that #1305 hasn't been hauled off after 12 years of FTA standards. I'm sure the warranty was never renewed after the fire it had. 

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

A good chunk were back there for lengthy litigation purposes which by this time should of worked themselves out. #6029 aka the fresh moves bus should of been long gone after getting canned in 2014. Yet it sits back there. A few #6000 WBs sit back there as well that should of been long gone as yet they still sit there. The only one that realistically should be back there still is #6031 since it was the only one with wreck damage and legal hold signage placed on the door and windshield. Another thing that's puzzling to me is the fact that #1305 hasn't been hauled off after 12 years of FTA standards. I'm sure the warranty was never renewed after the fire it had. 

14 hours ago, andrethebusman99 said:

Hopefully some of the 6000s in the back will go away one day. Some have been there since before 2009 (that's 15 years, almost as long as they were in service!)

Also the #800s and #905 have been back there 9 years

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

Another set of buses that should of been halued of once they reached the 12 year FTA guidelines. The boneyard is an outdoor museum of junk. ?

In a sense, it always has been. But other than litigation holds, there's no reason other than a lack of maintenance staff to drain fluids to keep them. The only exception to letting junk sit was that after a partial settlement, the NABIs were hauled out fairly quickly. But unlike the Optimas, I don't think CTA has any intent of selling buses (including 1000s) for reuse.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Yea alot of them been back there since I graduated 8th grade in 09 6031 should have settled that out by now but I like that bus I wonder what's the damage to it 

5 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Yea alot of them been back there since I graduated 8th grade in 09 6031 should have settled that out by now but I like that bus I wonder what's the damage to it 

@YoungBusLover said it was in a litigation hold, so it's sitting there until the court case is settled, or at least all attorneys and their experts inspect it and come to an agreement on the cause of the accident, such as the brakes.

• Upvote 1

On 10/15/2023 at 9:52 AM, Busjack said:

@YoungBusLover said it was in a litigation hold, so it's sitting there until the court case is settled, or at least all attorneys and their experts inspect it and come to an agreement on the cause of the accident, such as the brakes.

Man that's taking a long time 10 years now cause it sat at K behind the route booth up until 2012 then got kicked out into the back of the lot in 13 so it had a crash after it was retired is that what happened?

Talking about life-extending rehabs,  @Jstange059's citation to RTAMS sent me to the following:

image.thumb.png.c5f6fbb61e57ed9538142e8a06d2813e.png

Given all the Option 3 and 4 buses (1630-2029) reported in the boneyard, I'm reading this as meaning those buses aren't worth rehabbing, but there is enough ambiguity that this might not be the case.

Outside of the recent maintenance staffing issue, there's also the CTA practice of keeping individual buses around in the boneyard to get slowly picked clean of parts for buses of the series that are still in service. How many times have we seen pictures of different New Flyers that are in various states of dismemberment?