1000-series D40LF - Updates & Retirements

BusHunter

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

Just saw #1020 returning back to service and man did it had so much blue smoke pouring out of the exhaust pipe. 

20211020_160838.jpg

Another sign of them showing age? Maybe? I remember years ago on the forums from a picture of #1711 or another #1700 which shot out black smoke coming from the exhaust when it was operating on the 11, are #1630-2029 supposed to be more officiant than their sister buses #1000-1629? Because that was shocking. Some #1000s do seem to be in bad shape compared to the ones with better shape. I remember standing next to one of the #6400s the number was #6838 when most of #6400s were in service before they were pulled. The driver was off for a few minutes getting something to eat. The smoke coming from the exhaust smelled so old that the oil needed to be changed similar to issues on cars and school buses lol. Is it possible CTA buses can rot like that as they age?

On 10/18/2021 at 9:10 PM, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

on #1342 right now these seats are completely new and different i’m really shocked this the only bus that came back from a fire rest are retired @YoungBusLover

image.jpg

Yeah how was this able to make it back from the dead after catching fire along with #1703 and #1757. #1993 had a motor fire and it doesn’t seem that bad to me. 

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Just saw #1020 returning back to service and man did it had so much blue smoke pouring out of the exhaust pipe. 

20211020_160838.jpg

I saw that bus on Saturday wow. Is the "SS" the 77th storage where FG buses stay until they go to downtown on the 56? Btw 1005 has same kneeling as 1042.

2 hours ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

I saw that bus on Saturday wow. Is the "SS" the 77th storage where FG buses stay until they go to downtown on the 56? Btw 1005 has same kneeling as 1042.

I can assume it was sent down for something earlier in the week and returned today. Some runs for specific buses will have them do a trip then head on down to SS for whatever maintenance it will recieve.

10 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

I can assume it was sent down for something earlier in the week and returned today. Some runs for specific buses will have them do a trip then head on down to SS for whatever maintenance it will recieve.

Based on maths 1020 was Ss-402 and then became SS-451 after leaving 77th

1 hour ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Based on maths 1020 was Ss-402 and then became SS-451 after leaving 77th

Sounds about right. Every garage has one as buslover said. These are basically them picking buses that need repair or a check up but instead of deadheading I guess working a route on the way to and from either helps offset the cost of deadheading or having hikers. 
56 for FG

126 for K

28 for 103rd 

I forgot the rest of the garages off the too of my head but you can search “SS” on maths22 at the height of rush to catch them 

5 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Sounds about right. Every garage has one as buslover said. These are basically them picking buses that need repair or a check up but instead of deadheading I guess working a route on the way to and from either helps offset the cost of deadheading or having hikers. 
56 for FG

126 for K

28 for 103rd 

I forgot the rest of the garages off the too of my head but you can search “SS” on maths22 at the height of rush to catch them 

55 and 67 for 74th 

14 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

& some drivers they bring a bus to ss then pick up a bus & go start they run

5 hours ago, Sam92 said:

56 for FG

126 for K

28 for 103rd 

You both are spot on, I normally see all those buses lined up ready to get picked up by no later than 10 am near the pull-in vault and there's usually 10-12 buses ready for pickup each day some stay longer than others if manpower is short from other garages to pick them up but usually by about 5 pm most of them are gone. The remaining buses are usually placed near the western fence on 78th & Vincennes or 77th will borrow some if needed for PM runs. 

I've seen a variety of runs at random for all garages as far as returns go, ranging from the 65-66 for C 56,85 for FG, 9,62, & 63 for 74th, 15,J14,26, & 28 for 103rd, 126,151 for K and for NP its usually anything related to LSD corridor runs and or the 22.

8 hours ago, Sam92 said:

56 for FG

126 for K

28 for 103rd 

15 also for 103rd

• Confused 3

8 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

You both are spot on, I normally see all those buses lined up ready to get picked up by no later than 10 am near the pull-in vault and there's usually 10-12 buses ready for pickup each day some stay longer than others if manpower is short from other garages to pick them up but usually by about 5 pm most of them are gone. The remaining buses are usually placed near the western fence on 78th & Vincennes or 77th will borrow some if needed for PM runs. 

I've seen a variety of runs at random for all garages as far as returns go, ranging from the 65-66 for C 56,85 for FG, 9,62, & 63 for 74th, 15,J14,26, & 28 for 103rd, 126,151 for K and for NP its usually anything related to LSD corridor runs and or the 22.

Yea cuz ive then took a bus to SS & picked up another & went & started my route

• 2 weeks later...