1000-series D40LF - Updates & Retirements

BusHunter

Spotted rehabbed #1531 on the Dan Ryan @ 79th with it's sign indicating North Park Garage (I rode that bus on #97 a few years ago). #1089 is also rehabbed.

Yeah that bus is from 103rd. Ive been noticing this for a while now that buses from 103rd display the North Park Garage signs mostly when they're dreading heading to do a 192. And I also see it sometimes when a 15 is pulling in the garage. Must be a glitch I been seeing that since the system wide update.

It's just like #1331!! Also if I'm not mistaken #1051 has the foldup #1400 seats at the handicapped position. Your right on #1961 it just has the lighting upgrade and nothing else. It still has a rear garbage can. That seems to be a rare occurrence nowadays on nf's.

I just can't wait for the rehab of the Allison's NF's!

Yeah that bus is from 103rd. Ive been noticing this for a while now that buses from 103rd display the North Park Garage signs mostly when they're dreading heading to do a 192. And I also see it sometimes when a 15 is pulling in the garage. Must be a glitch I been seeing that since the system wide update.

The 1500s were originally North Park's before they migrated to 74th and 103rd.

Quick question BusHunter. Where did you see 1160 when you noticed it has the upgraded headlights?

On the #8, I was at Halsted and Madison and I was going to take a #20 back to the loop and the I saw this Halsted bus coming up the street with these funny looking headlights. I thought that was #1159 that had that, but never getting to see these headlights up close my opportunity was knocking. The lights look similar to #1005, but not as bright. I was going to take a Blue line out NW and I see #1041 all rehabbed, so I went back NW that way. I can't believe they had a water main break in the same spot today.

Another bus I saw running in the loop, #909, has LED interior lights already in it with the upgraded headlights. I think it's the #1630's lights though. That's a bus I need to see. That's probably the best 40 foot bus at CTA.

The 1500s were originally North Park's before they migrated to 74th and 103rd.

Actually the 1500s were both North Park AND 103rd's originally. Buses 1430 to I believe it was 1910 originally, were divided between 103rd and NP in that odd/even split you've seen us mention. 103rd had the evens and NP the odds. There were two smaller even/odd splits with the 1900s up to about the 1980s between first 103rd (evens) and 77th (odds) for one group and NP (evens) and 77th (again odds) for the other though I forget the ranges. The remaining buses behind those splits on up to 2029 went to 103rd originally. Then after that we saw various swaps that ended most of the the even/odds splits, though mainly concentrated on ending the even/odd split between NP and 103rd leading up to their current rosters of NF D40LFs.

Hmm... Could that be why I've been seening 4300's (hybrids) with North Park Garage signs? I drive down Lake Shore at night and the past few nights I've seen them around Jackson, and south shore heading back North (I'm guessing thats how the 6 deadheads)

Actually the 1500s were both North Park AND 103rd's originally. Buses 1430 to I believe it was 1910 originally, were divided between 103rd and NP in that odd/even split you've seen us mention. 103rd had the evens and NP the odds. There were two smaller even/odd splits with the 1900s up to about the 1980s between first 103rd (evens) and 77th (odds) for one group and NP (evens) and 77th (again odds) for the other though I forget the ranges. The remaining buses behind those splits on up to 2029 went to 103rd originally. Then after that we saw various swaps that ended most of the the even/odds splits, though mainly concentrated on ending the even/odd split between NP and 103rd leading up to their current rosters of NF D40LFs.

That's right. It was a weird format but I like it when the 1700s (1730-higher) was @ 77th before it shifted to 74th and North Park.

That's right. It was a weird format but I like it when the 1700s (1730-higher) was @ 77th before it shifted to 74th and North Park.

Actually 77th never had 1700s and I realized I goofed a bit above. The even odd split between NP and 103rd was 1430-1629 and picked up again after bus 1760 with the splits pretty going as I described above. 1630-1730 were originally delivered to Kedzie and 1731-1760 originally went to 74th. (1731-1760 were originally going to be the only NFs 74th got because they were filling a gap created by so many 6000s, the only buses there because of Huberman's dumb consolidation plan, dying there, but the 6000s' retirement curbed that nutty plan.)

Actually 77th never had 1700s and I realized I goofed a bit above. The even odd split between NP and 103rd was 1430-1629 and picked up again after bus 1760 with the splits pretty going as I described above. 1630-1730 were originally delivered to Kedzie and 1731-1760 originally went to 74th. (1731-1760 were originally going to be the only NFs 74th got because they were filling a gap created by so many 6000s, the only buses there because of Huberman's dumb consolidation plan, dying there, but the 6000s' retirement curbed that nutty plan.)

Then explain why #1743 and #1747 was operating #3 in 2009 (They were brand new at the time). You're right about everything else.

Then explain why #1743 and #1747 was operating #3 in 2009 (They were brand new at the time). You're right about everything else.

If brand new, they were assigned to 74th (within the chunk of 30 buses which were the only ones that 74h got directly).

Roughly below 1730 went to K and above 1759 to NP or C, although K soon gave up some in the 1720s.

If brand new, they were assigned to 74th (within the chunk of 30 buses which were the only ones that 74h got directly).

Roughly below 1730 went to K and above 1759 to NP or C, although K soon gave up some in the 1720s.

Right. I'm not trying to say 77th was assigned with them but I think they had some of them for testing or whatever the reason why. 74th started at 1723-1755 (before it went up to 1760 last year) and North Park started at 1756-1795 (before starting at 1761 last year).

Actually if you look at my lifetime assignments the pdf I have here shows #1732, #1733, #1737,#1743, #1745, #1747, #1749-60 as delivered to 77th. That was around the time of July 4th, and 77th might have needed the extra buses for the fireworks extras.

1000 bus assignments June 2008 to Nov 2008.pdf

• Upvote 2

Some may have been delivered to 77th (could have been for inspections and what not), and a couple may have been on 77th routes for the old lakefront fireworks shows that no longer happen as a single big officially city sponsored show under Mayor Emanuel and made it easier for him to change the Taste of Chicago dates, but as I said before they were never officially assigned to 77th. Those buses BusHunter listed were still all officially assigned to 74th, not 77th. We used to see a lot of crazy things happen with bus sightings every year during the times of the big summer fests and events. As you acknowledge, delivered and officially assigned are not the same thing, and I see I myself will have to be a bit more careful with saying delivered when I mean assigned.

Right. I'm not trying to say 77th was assigned with them but I think they had some of them for testing or whatever the reason why. 74th started at 1723-1755 (before it went up to 1760 last year) and North Park started at 1756-1795 (before starting at 1761 last year).

And that break up of 1723-1755 to 74th and 1755-1795 to NP didn't occur until maybe two or three years ago after CTA started breaking up the even odd splits that have been discussed. As far as original assignments went for the 1700s, the break up was 1700-1730 to Kedzie, 1731-1760 to 74th, 1761-1799 odds to North Park, and 1762-1798 evens to 103rd.

Some may have been delivered to 77th (could have been for inspections and what not), and a couple may have been on 77th routes for the old lakefront fireworks shows that no longer happen as a single big officially city sponsored show under Mayor Emanuel and made it easier for him to change the Taste of Chicago dates, but as I said before they were never officially assigned to 77th. Those buses BusHunter listed were still all officially assigned to 74th, not 77th. We used to see a lot of crazy things happen with bus sightings every year during the times of the big summer fests and events. As you acknowledge, delivered and officially assigned are not the same thing, and I see I myself will have to be a bit more careful with saying delivered when I mean assigned.

And that is acceptable to say.

And that break up of 1723-1755 to 74th and 1755-1795 to NP didn't occur until maybe two or three years ago after CTA started breaking up the even odd splits that have been discussed. As far as original assignments went for the 1700s, the break up was 1700-1730 to Kedzie, 1731-1760 to 74th, 1761-1799 odds to North Park, and 1762-1798 evens to 103rd.

Yeah I had to think about the even and odds splits in which I dislike those kind of assignments honestly.

And that is acceptable to say.

Yeah I had to think about the even and odds splits in which I dislike those kind of assignments honestly.

There wasn't much choice at the time. CTA had old buses that needed to be replaced all over the system. And with NP and 103rd running the bulk of the system's Lake Shore express routes, their fleets take on a lot of punishment, which was true at that time so both had a need for new buses like yesterday. Therefore we had the even/split solution to that. Quite frankly the public and I think maybe even a lot of transit enthusiasts don't care as long as the buses keep running.

There wasn't much choice at the time. CTA had old buses that needed to be replaced all over the system. And with NP and 103rd running the bulk of the system's Lake Shore express routes, their fleets take on a lot of punishment, which was true at that time so both had a need for new buses like yesterday. Therefore we had the even/split solution to that. Quite frankly the public and I think maybe even a lot of transit enthusiasts don't care as long as the buses keep running.

In which that's understandable. It's unfortunate that we do lack in having up to date buses on this fleet.