1000-series D40LF - Updates & Retirements

BusHunter

#1635 has the new interior lights only. #1630 is the same way. #1369 is not rehabbed. #1165 has no new accessible seat inserts. #1527 is rehabbed. I think there was a question of whether it was rehabbed or not. Strangely enough #1915 has the blue kneeling stickers and #1488 was on the #49. It wasn't rehabbed so I don't know why it's at 74th. I guess that covers it for today. Lol!!

• Upvote 2

#1635 has the new interior lights only. #1630 is the same way. #1369 is not rehabbed. #1165 has no new accessible seat inserts. #1527 is rehabbed. I think there was a question of whether it was rehabbed or not. Strangely enough #1915 has the blue kneeling stickers and #1488 was on the #49. It wasn't rehabbed so I don't know why it's at 74th. I guess that covers it for today. Lol!!

Well you just did my homework about #1369 LOL :D Thanks for the info. You know I don't understand why not finish rehabbing the ones that only have the new lightings. Is it worth making two trips for some of theses buses just to get rehabbed???

Well you just did my homework about #1369 LOL :D Thanks for the info. You know I don't understand why not finish rehabbing the ones that only have the new lightings. Is it worth making two trips for some of theses buses just to get rehabbed???

Well if you notice those are the last 400 buses that they are doing that with. The only complete rehabs of the last 400 are #1681, #1703 and #1986. #1915 is surprising to me because that shows the opposite, a mechanical rehab. Looks like NP is on a hot streak. 4 buses in the last week. Before that i believe they only had 7 buses rehabbed. #1268, I should mention is not rehabbed with the lights, might just be mechanical but I need to see that one again.

As previously noted, the overhaul is a contract job, while CTA bought the lighting kits to replace the lights in house. I suppose that if a fluorescent fixture burns out, it doesn't make sense to replace it with another.

As previously noted, the overhaul is a contract job, while CTA bought the lighting kits to replace the lights in house. I suppose that if a fluorescent fixture burns out, it doesn't make sense to replace it with another.

Or a better way to say it is that the last 400 buses mechanical rehab is staggered, where the lighting contract rehab is for 1,050 buses all in one contract. I guess a few buses are trickling through though.

Or a better way to say it is that the last 400 buses mechanical rehab is staggered, where the lighting contract rehab is for 1,050 buses all in one contract. I guess a few buses are trickling through though.

No it really don't make any sense. Also what definitely don't make any sense is the some New Flyers 1630-2029 look damn well tacky with the mixed lightings (Some look like they got white LEDs mixed with blue/purpleish hued lightings). So therefore guys, both of y'all points are indeed valid.

What exactly is being done to the "rehabs"? I would not call this a "rebuild" job by any means. Some of the rehabs (ones with new Clever Devices panel) are just as sad mechanically as ever, with grinding transmissions, pulling steering, gauge lights out, etc. I drive these things every day, and I sure can't tell any real difference, unlike say when the 9600's were rehabbed in the early 90's (just before retirement, I might add...) when you could instantly tell that the VH transmissions had been replaced by 3-speed VS3's.

Also, what if anything was actually done to 1005? Still has old Clever Devices panel and fluorescent lights, and rather ratty paint.

What exactly is being done to the "rehabs"? I would not call this a "rebuild" job by any means. Some of the rehabs (ones with new Clever Devices panel) are just as sad mechanically as ever, with grinding transmissions, pulling steering, gauge lights out, etc. I drive these things every day, and I sure can't tell any real difference, unlike say when the 9600's were rehabbed in the early 90's (just before retirement, I might add...) when you could instantly tell that the VH transmissions had been replaced by 3-speed VS3's.

Also, what if anything was actually done to 1005? Still has old Clever Devices panel and fluorescent lights, and rather ratty paint.

You don't notice the better acceleration/transmission? They look better cosmetically.inside. You should see some of these seat inserts on non rehab buses that are breaking down. #1329 comes to mind. So they are doing something. I think the riding public is being fooled if they think these buses are being repainted. It seems to be a select few though that are repaints like #1165. Some problems are probably not fixable. I know one ex bus from Fg, #1226 I believe, had some real frame/suspension issues. It has a roll to it like you were on a boat versus a bus. Probably had an accident somewhere along it's history. I think they are still miles ahead of Nova bus. You should drive those, then you would have something to complain about. Those are referred to as dump trucks on the north side, probably cause they move just as fast. It will be interesting to see if the #7900's are more responsive, but I'm not holding my breath.

@garmon: I notice #1332 is back in action this week, That was the vandalized bus I had mentioned before. I notice after I said that it disappeared. I'm thinking it may be rehabbed. If i see it I'm going to check it out. They also fixed the missing door at Harlem/Blue line with a wood one. (better than nothing, but it sure is ugly) So some issues are being addressed.

@garmon: I notice #1332 is back in action this week, That was the vandalized bus I had mentioned before. I notice after I said that it disappeared. I'm thinking it may be rehabbed. If i see it I'm going to check it out. They also fixed the missing door at Harlem/Blue line with a wood one. (better than nothing, but it sure is ugly) So some issues are being addressed.

How sure you think it's rehabbed? About the door @ Harlem, that's a damn shame stuff like that gets broken. By the way, #1576 is rehabbed while operating on #9 near the Medical District right now.

Considering that the 7900s will have a (presumably) more powerful ISL instead of the ISC in the 6400s, I would suspect the 7900s will be more responsive than the older Novas.

I think they are still miles ahead of Nova bus. You should drive those, then you would have something to complain about. Those are referred to as dump trucks on the north side, probably cause they move just as fast. It will be interesting to see if the #7900's are more responsive, but I'm not holding my breath.

Considering that the 7900s will have a (presumably) more powerful ISL instead of the ISC in the 6400s, I would suspect the 7900s will be more responsive than the older Novas.

That seems correct, in that Nova posted on its site that it is working with Cummins on a 2013 compliant engine. I still can't figure out why some other people on this site think that the 2014 Novas are going to be mechanically equivalent to the 2000 ones (and as clogged up as 14 year old engines).

That seems correct, in that Nova posted on its site that it is working with Cummins on a 2013 compliant engine. I still can't figure out why some other people on this site think that the 2014 Novas are going to be mechanically equivalent to the 2000 ones (and as clogged up as 14 year old engines).

It's self-explanatory. Some people don't try to take the time to know buses. That's like saying all New Flyers are the some but they're not.

We'll just have to see what shows up in May. It may have a Cummins, but that don't mean anything. An engine does nothing if the transmission isn't well engineered. Maybe I'll be shocked by what I see, maybe I won't, all I'm saying is by what I have seen of the old models I'm not impressed. A good bus ages well and NF has proved that to me. Nova has yet to say the same. At least I am looking forward to the better seating arrangement, so maybe there's hope. I'll try to keep an open mind; fair enough. :D

We'll just have to see what shows up in May. It may have a Cummins, but that don't mean anything. An engine does nothing if the transmission isn't well engineered. Maybe I'll be shocked by what I see, maybe I won't, all I'm saying is by what I have seen of the old models I'm not impressed. A good bus ages well and NF has proved that to me. Nova has yet to say the same. At least I am looking forward to the better seating arrangement, so maybe there's hope. I'll try to keep an open mind; fair enough. :D

In 2000, 3 speed transmissions were standard. They aren't now.

And, as far as a model holding up, I mentioned to someone else that unless one is in the garage and popping the engine cover, you don't really know what's in there. Since you base your conclusion that some bus was rehabbed simply because it runs better, the argument can be made that the only way you can come to that conclusion is that the NFs are not performing after 6 or 8 years like they once have, and hence have not aged well either.

In 2000, 3 speed transmissions were standard. They aren't now.

And, as far as a model holding up, I mentioned to someone else that unless one is in the garage and popping the engine cover, you don't really know what's in there. Since you base your conclusion that some bus was rehabbed simply because it runs better, the argument can be made that the only way you can come to that conclusion is that the NFs are not performing after 6 or 8 years like they once have, and hence have not aged well either.

Actually the NF's are doing well. They still run circles around the Novas rehab or not. CTA usually rehabs buses and L cars that are worth a rehab. Why didn't they rehab the Novas if they are the elite bus? They were supposed to get updated drivetrains that's all I heard, but that shows that CTA knows those buses have a transmission fault. Of course you can twist my words to assume what you like. Be my guest. :lol:

Actually the NF's are doing well. They still run circles around the Novas rehab or not. CTA usually rehabs buses and L cars that are worth a rehab. Why didn't they rehab the Novas if they are the elite bus? They were supposed to get updated drivetrains that's all I heard, but that shows that CTA knows those buses have a transmission fault. Of course you can twist my words to assume what you like. Be my guest. :lol:

No need to twist your words. But, as I said above, no need to assume that Nova Bus is installing 14 year old (at least in design) 3 speed transmissions into a new bus. The spec sheet says:

ZF EcoLife (6 speed)

Allison B400R (6 speed)

Voith D864.5E (4 speed)

In the first two examples, no different than what NF puts in a bus. Also, note that NF tried and failed to get an exemption from CTA performance requirements for the XD60 bus with a ZF transmission.

The specs also say "ULSD: Cummins ISL 9 280 HP." I suppose we have some member of SAE to tell us if that is sufficient power.

No need to twist your words. But, as I said above, no need to assume that Nova Bus is installing 14 year old (at least in design) 3 speed transmissions into a new bus. The spec sheet says:

ZF EcoLife (6 speed)

Allison B400R (6 speed)

Voith D864.5E (4 speed)

In the first two examples, no different than what NF puts in a bus. Also, note that NF tried and failed to get an exemption from CTA performance requirements for the XD60 bus with a ZF transmission.

The specs also say "ULSD: Cummins ISL 9 280 HP." I suppose we have some member of SAE to tell us if that is sufficient power.

Given that's approximately 208,800 watts, one would hope.