1000-series D40LF - Updates & Retirements

BusHunter

Yeah, I checked flickr and mel bernero's photobucket page to see if maybe there might be a unique photo of 6032 with the steel wheels found on the 5300-series Flxibles out there. I guess it'll be forever etched in my memory, unable to be shared... :unsure:

I could do a bus drawing of it to show, but to see a photo would be more unique, IMO.

Yeah, I checked flickr and mel bernero's photobucket page to see if maybe there might be a unique photo of 6032 with the steel wheels found on the 5300-series Flxibles out there. I guess it'll be forever etched in my memory, unable to be shared... :unsure:

I could do a bus drawing of it to show, but to see a photo would be more unique, IMO.

I understand what you're talking about. You're pretty much stating that #6032 had the dark grey colored rims like the 5300s. Some interesting memories you got :D

I think I may have seen it, sw. Interestingly enough 6067 had wheels like the 5300s also for part of the brief time it spent at Kedzie. I remember we were calling them transit rims at the time when we all spoke on how once the 5300s and TMCs were gone all CTA buses would be in Alcoa rims. When Kedzie got 6067, for some reason they put transit rims on the front wheels only. I guess somebody realized that looked kind of odd because shortly after that, 6067 had all transit rims. By the the time it was reassigned it was back in Alcoa rims like the rest of the 6000s.

You can add #1577 to the rehabs... it is fully done! New "Kneeling bus" sticker, LED lighting, "Watch Your Step" sticker, that panel compartment on the wheelwell that garmon took a pic of, a quieter Cummins ISM engine that is rebuilt/rehabbed, smoother shifting transmission, new Clever Devices panel... even the wheelwells are new! The New Flyers had these rough wheelwells except for 1930-2029. 1577's are smooth as paper now.

• Upvote 2

Ok Garmon, #1325 is mechanically rehabbed which means it's done except for the seat inserts and lights. #1099 is in the same boat as #1325. Both buses have the blue kneeling stickers.

That makes sense now. I haven't seen #1099 yet. Also, I have to check up with #1369. It has the updated illegal right turn sticker but no new lighting nor priority seating inserts and I'm not sure abut the Clever Device upgrade. It's currently on #126 right now.

You can add #1577 to the rehabs... it is fully done! New "Kneeling bus" sticker, LED lighting, "Watch Your Step" sticker, that panel compartment on the wheelwell that garmon took a pic of, a quieter Cummins ISM engine that is rebuilt/rehabbed, smoother shifting transmission, new Clever Devices panel... even the wheelwells are new! The New Flyers had these rough wheelwells except for 1930-2029. 1577's are smooth as paper now.

Very nice!

I forgot to check for the transitchicago.com decal. It's servicing #9 currently if anyone wants to check it out...

If it had everything else then it still would quite likely be rehabbed as you suspected. The decals are in some cases superfluous.

If it had everything else then it still would quite likely be rehabbed as you suspected. The decals are in some cases superfluous.

Very true, jajuan. But without the decal as the "icing on the cake", so to speak... the rehab is 99.99% complete... the decal would make it 100%.

Personally, I don't care... as long as it runs and gets you from point "A" to "B", that's all you need.

I noticed something on #1434 at the roofline. You know what they did, they just removed the www from the decals on the roofline of that bus. You can faintly see it still there. Now if they repainted that bus why would one still see a ghost image? I'm seeing this on the other buses too. I'm starting to wonder if the buses are even being repainted. That would explain the decals on #1291 falling off or missing.

I noticed something on #1434 at the roofline. You know what they did, they just removed the www from the decals on the roofline of that bus. You can faintly see it still there. Now if they repainted that bus why would one still see a ghost image? I'm seeing this on the other buses too. I'm starting to wonder if the buses are even being repainted. That would explain the decals on #1291 falling off or missing.

It seems like TAs now assume 12 year paint on buses (statements like "Pace buses won't be all blue for another 12 years").

When the 5800s were repainted, at least you knew it because the gloss was different and the font on the fleet number decals didn't match what was originally there.

Very true, jajuan. But without the decal as the "icing on the cake", so to speak... the rehab is 99.99% complete... the decal would make it 100%.

Personally, I don't care... as long as it runs and gets you from point "A" to "B", that's all you need.

Basically if you can detect most of the other items except maybe one or two, including the engine rehab, it's pretty safe to say that the bus is mechanically rehabbed. The mechanical part rather than the cosmetics is the important thing to be concerned about. :lol:

I thought 2008 models are a bit too early for rehab.

#1955 and #1961 have just the interior lights replaced nothing else. #1986 is really the only bus that is fully rehabbed out of the last 100. But now with reports of #1941 being rehabbed, there may be two.

#1955 and #1961 have just the interior lights replaced nothing else. #1986 is really the only bus that is fully rehabbed out of the last 100. But now with reports of #1941 being rehabbed, there may be two.

From what I saw this morning #1941 has a rebuilt engine,however I am not sure about the the interior seating,lights and so forth.