1000-series D40LF - Updates & Retirements

BusHunter

It was a beam sticking out from the underside of the bridge in the center of the road.

Anyway, I'm not sure why this is being rehashed 8 years after the accident (Tribune reference, which says that the driver swerved to avoid a puddle).

My point was that it misstates the nature of the accident to say it happened at Kilbourn, when the operative fact is that it happened at the Metra/Milw N viaduct, and the type of post to which I objected is reprehensible to any of the driver's survivors, unless there is proof to back it up. Where's the proof, Andre?

The Trib says the water was under the viaduct, which is impossible to pass unless you go on the other side of the beam and/or street. I always pictured it as right before it between the two side streets there.

At last the article clarifies it... I've heard from many that the driver swerved to avoid a puddle, but the article says it was to avoid standing water under the viaduct, which makes more sense(driving through standing water could hydrolock the bus, which I think I seen happen with Nova #6802 many years back... it went through standing water under the Metra UP-N line at Irving Park/Ravenswood and as it started to go up the incline past there, the lights went out inside the bus and it started to roll backwards a bit before being stopped by the driver). When people told me the driver was swerving to avoid a puddle and I see these small, innocent puddles on streets after it rains, I'm thinking "What?" :huh: . But put standing water in the context and now I see why the operator could've swerved to avoid that situation.

It was a beam sticking out from the underside of the bridge in the center of the road.

Anyway, I'm not sure why this is being rehashed 8 years after the accident (Tribune reference, which says that the driver swerved to avoid a puddle).

My point was that it misstates the nature of the accident to say it happened at Kilbourn, when the operative fact is that it happened at the Metra/Milw N viaduct, and the type of post to which I objected is reprehensible to any of the driver's survivors, unless there is proof to back it up. Where's the proof, Andre?

The Trib says the water was under the viaduct, which is impossible to pass unless you go on the other side of the beam and/or street. I always pictured it as right before it between the two side streets there.

At last the article clarifies it... I've heard from many that the driver swerved to avoid a puddle, but the article says it was to avoid standing water under the viaduct, which makes more sense(driving through standing water could hydrolock the bus, which I think I seen happen with Nova #6802 many years back... it went through standing water under the Metra UP-N line at Irving Park/Ravenswood and as it started to go up the incline past there, the lights went out inside the bus and it started to roll backwards a bit before being stopped by the driver). When people told me the driver was swerving to avoid a puddle and I see these small, innocent puddles on streets after it rains, I'm thinking "What?" :huh: . But put standing water in the context and now I see why the operator could've swerved to avoid that situation.

So long story short, the driver saw the standing water, apparently decided to try to avoid it at the last minute but unfortunately misjudged how much room he had to steer past the water. And like sw I can see how that happened. So as the news reports said 8 years ago, this was an unfortunate accident with no deliberate intent behind it. So I agree with Busjack that Andre made an unfounded allegation against a dead driver and committed a low blow against this poor guy's family.

So does everyone else that bus was packed.

Yeah Claypool definitely overlooked how ridership was distributed on that route. It just did not evenly fit the definition of low ridership route. Heck There are routes with lower numbers than the 11 had before the cuts that did not get cut in any way.