1000-series D40LF - Updates & Retirements

BusHunter

Knowing that the New Flyers are in the middle of belly-up rehabs, how CTA is adhering to the 12-year life on buses now per FTA regulations, and the current year we are in(2014) one has to wonder what will happen when 2018 rolls around(which is creeping up very quickly)... will the oldest New Flyers(1000-1429) end up beginning retirement at that time, or will this rehab add another 6 years to their lives, like the TMC's? Will the CTA make a procurement for about 1,000 new 40' buses to begin arriving in 2018 through 2021?

This is years away, but it seems like yesterday these D40LF's were brand new!

UofC routes had an interesting history. When they first started, they used regular RTS's from 103rd. Drivers started complaining about tight clearances, so the 4900's off the recently-abandoned 16-Lake were sent over from Kedzie to 103rd for UofC service. Then UofC complained about no lifts, so CTA got the 10 PACE Orions to replace the 4900's. then the "final solution" in the form of the 500's "resolved" matters. Why CTA sent the UofC routes to Archer for a while is a good question, but they and the 500's came back to 103rd. Last year or so, UofC started complaining again, about overloaded buses, and yes, I can personally attest that especially 171 did have issues with 500's jammed to the doors. So they started running New Flyers on some of the rush hour runs. Discovered they fit down the streets just fine, so over time all UofC runs started getting 1000's, 170 being the last holdout. So 500's were basically out of a job, and a few started appearing daily on 100-Jeffery Manor Exp, the lightest route at 103rd.

UofC routes had an interesting history. When they first started, they used regular RTS's from 103rd. Drivers started complaining about tight clearances, so the 4900's off the recently-abandoned 16-Lake were sent over from Kedzie to 103rd for UofC service. Then UofC complained about no lifts, so CTA got the 10 PACE Orions to replace the 4900's. then the "final solution" in the form of the 500's "resolved" matters. Why CTA sent the UofC routes to Archer for a while is a good question, but they and the 500's came back to 103rd. Last year or so, UofC started complaining again, about overloaded buses, and yes, I can personally attest that especially 171 did have issues with 500's jammed to the doors. So they started running New Flyers on some of the rush hour runs. Discovered they fit down the streets just fine, so over time all UofC runs started getting 1000's, 170 being the last holdout. So 500's were basically out of a job, and a few started appearing daily on 100-Jeffery Manor Exp, the lightest route at 103rd.

Interesting history though the 4900s moved to 103rd from Chicago, not Kedzie. At the time of the 16's demise, that route was already about a couple of years into its reassignment from Kedzie to Chicago. And did you mean this post to be part of the 500s' retirement discussion in the rosters thread?

It was but with a question mark behind it. I had told Garmon I didn't think it was rehabbed, but I have to believe what he reports until I can confirm otherwise which I did yesterday. We still have a few question mark buses #1524 and #1529 that I need to confirm.

It was but with a question mark behind it. I had told Garmon I didn't think it was rehabbed, but I have to believe what he reports until I can confirm otherwise which I did yesterday. We still have a few question mark buses #1524 and #1529 that I need to confirm.

It is confirmed that #1529 is not rehabbed. However, I'm riding on mechanical rehabbed #1571 on #67 heading to the Red Line right now.