Pace Bus Moves

pace2322

With regard to maybe 6633, it just showed up at North on Webwatch:

post-14-12990154695907_thumb.jpg

The usual Orion Is are still on the school runs.

I'm sure I misspoke. It might have been 6633 I originally saw at Westmont. That's my bad. The update now is that all the 6600s are now gone from Westmont.

• 1 month later...

To throw another on the fire, I haven't seen 2665 and 2666 on WebWatch nor physically in the NW area for a while. While there are obviously voids and ghost buses (to use BusExpert's term), is there a chance that they turned up in Naperville?

I kmow this is an old post but spotted 2666 on Deerfield Shuttle bug 12 on thursday.

I kmow this is an old post but spotted 2666 on Deerfield Shuttle bug 12 on thursday.

Apparently it is transferred from Naperville, then. Naperville had received 2664 (from NS) and 2665-2666 (originally W, then NW).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Looks like NW also picked up #6042 - #6046 at least from west. #6048 is still at west. Don't know where #6047 is.

What I'm not understanding is why NW is picking up buses? They've picked up buses from SW and W. Are there Orions that they had to retire that we don't know about? Or is there another storage facility around there? I know they had to pick up Academy's buses, but I would think they wouldn't have any more room for these buses. And considering during rush hour, West seems to be fine as far as buses, I'm not sure the Academy buses will head West. It would seem to me the smart thing to do is to send some of them to Evanston and Waukegan and finish off the Orions that are up there and any overflow to South to begin taking out the 1999 Nabis.

What I'm not understanding is why NW is picking up buses? ... I know they had to pick up Academy's buses,,,...

You should be able to put 2 + 2 together. If, as it appears and 5750 surmised, 16 buses are sitting in the Academy lot waiting to be picked up, and maybe 10-12 buses are required to cover NW portion of those route, something has to get moved to do it.

The bigger question is how many spares they have, but I seem to recall somewhere* that it was about 10%.

A better question might be why NW seems to have to be NABI free, at all costs.

________

*Update: Was based on the report cited here, although Pace is (as of the 2011 budget) down from 705 buses cited there to about 680.Those numbers would put it at about 17%.

6254 has been on South Division routes lately. Anyone know why or what other buses might be assigned?

Sad to see one of my buses down south. But at least the driver is "getting paid" to sit in it! :)

6254 has been on South Division routes lately. Anyone know why or what other buses might be assigned?

6254 is a former Academy bus. I'm not overly surprised to see it head south, I'm sure they wanna get rid of the 2400s down there as it's time for them to retire.

UPDATE: 6250 is down there too according to Webwatch. If those 2 are there, I'm sure the 3rd 40-foot Nabi is there too.

What I'm not understanding is why NW is picking up buses? They've picked up buses from SW and W. Are there Orions that they had to retire that we don't know about? Or is there another storage facility around there? I know they had to pick up Academy's buses, but I would think they wouldn't have any more room for these buses. And considering during rush hour, West seems to be fine as far as buses, I'm not sure the Academy buses will head West. It would seem to me the smart thing to do is to send some of them to Evanston and Waukegan and finish off the Orions that are up there and any overflow to South to begin taking out the 1999 Nabis.

Nw had to pick up some space with all the ex orions being swapped for 30 foot Eldos. The bigger question I'm thinking of is why there not replacing what was lost at west and Sw unless they were operating at a surplus.

Nw had to pick up some space with all the ex orions being swapped for 30 foot Eldos. The bigger question I'm thinking of is why there not replacing what was lost at west and Sw unless they were operating at a surplus.

I guess when you think about it, NW had made some routing changes in the last year that resulted in not as many Orions needed since a lot of their routes can easily be handled by the Eldos. The Orions have a year or so to go before they will be eligible for retirement and that's only the very early ones from 2000. When I first came to Chicago in October of that year, the Orions had just started to hit the road. So I wouldn't be surprised if more swapping is done. Case in point, I saw a 1999 Nabi bus today going down South Western and there was enough smoke coming out the top of that bus that would make Smokey the Bear proud. I'm sure their time will be coming very shortly.

No wonder, I did spotted 6254 working #352 at Halsted/ 119th this past evening. I could've sworn that the bus was from Academy. I hope that one was for to replace an 1999 NABI, Those 1999 NABIs has been an run-down for a long time and it needs to go, I've wish that they could've retire the 1999 NABIs before the 2379s Nova Classics.

• 1 month later...

#6606 from the Academy buses has shown up at North Div. All the other #6600's from Academy are still missing. If they could get those buses to the other divisions that just may retire the high floor Orions as there doesn't seem to be that many mostly being ran on NS's shuttle bugs. Other buses I've seen swapped lately were #6062 to West, #6249 to West, and then River Division picked up #6652, #6648, #6683 and #6669 since the #600's from Academy went all NW and River. Still can't seem to figure out what happened to #6608, #6611, #6615, #6617 and #6647 which used to be at Westmont.

#6606 from the Academy buses has shown up at North Div. All the other #6600's from Academy are still missing. If they could get those buses to the other divisions that just may retire the high floor Orions as there doesn't seem to be that many mostly being ran on NS's shuttle bugs. Other buses I've seen swapped lately were #6062 to West, #6249 to West, and then River Division picked up #6652, #6648, #6683 and #6669 since the #600's from Academy went all NW and River. Still can't seem to figure out what happened to #6608, #6611, #6615, #6617 and #6647 which used to be at Westmont.

I believe 6614-6619 are at South

6608 & 6615 are at West. 6647 is at North Shore. I don't see 6611 & 6617 on Webwatch this morning, but I'm pretty sure both of them are at West also.