Pace Bus Moves

pace2322

2601-2603 might had been already out running the opposite times when you were down there. Don't know if you made it to the Belmont Station, but one of them I'm sure was there. I see 0006 almost daily on the North Route, but didn't know 0002 was still running. Maybe a backup?

I didn't have the time to get to Belmont and also cover Hinsdale and Western Springs.

I stayed around for the downtown 5:00 pm. and 5:14 departures. If I don't have things backward, two southeast buses pulled in at the same time, but 0002 took off at 5:00, while the Eldo stayed around until 5:14.

I'm also assuming, from the number of buses assigned, and the maps and schedules, that the 5:00 becomes the 5:35, for instance, so there wasn't any point staying after 5:15. I did get a smoothie, though, but without tapioca.

• 3 months later...

According to Webwatch, 6277 is on the #353 right now.

On a side note, I noticed there has been alot of ghost buses on West routes, and it seems alot more 6600's. Could this be due to the arrival of the new Axess buses?

It does seem like there are more 6600s operating at West lately. I'm surprised that Pace is sending a 2005 NABI to South, maybe because of the Blue livery giving an illusion of a newer bus for South (since initially they were promised the new Axess buses). However I don't expect the 6600s to stay at West for long when the new Axess buses start arriving in earnest. BTW I have yet to see an Axess on the street ( and for that matter any CTA 4300s).

It does seem like there are more 6600s operating at West lately. I'm surprised that Pace is sending a 2005 NABI to South, maybe because of the Blue livery giving an illusion of a newer bus for South (since initially they were promised the new Axess buses). However I don't expect the 6600s to stay at West for long when the new Axess buses start arriving in earnest. BTW I have yet to see an Axess on the street ( and for that matter any CTA 4300s).

There seem to be a lot of 6600s at West, but that was pretty much the case after they were hauled out of Elgin, Joliet, add: and Westmont. Also, with the engine overhauls supposedly over, more may be appearing. But it is the consensus that they are going to go elsewhere.

Moving Forward said that the 6323s were going on the street in December, which is at least a week away.

Someone else commented that North was the only division without blue buses. I was going to say that that's wrong, but at least jesi provided evidence that that may now be correct.

There are still a ton of 6600s at South according to Webwatch today. If they are on the move from South combined with the 2400s being retired (which there are none running today), you're looking at 30 buses at least. Maybe 6277 was doing a test run for South because it's not running out there today.

• 2 weeks later...

Surfing through webwatch, I only see older 2400 nabi's out today up at north, none of the newer.

Correct. Generally, 6600s are not used on Saturday, though there are exceptions every now and then.

The 10 AM 565 Westbound, during Six Flags season, generally runs with a second bus. Also ran with a second section the Saturday after Thanksgiving. The fellow on extra board who usually ends up with the second bus, seems to really like the 6600s. Says his favorite unit in the garage is 6620. So, usually, he takes a 6600 when doing that second 565. Outside of him, rarely are 6600s used on Saturday.

Most of the drivers around here don't like the 6600s. Even with the retarder switch, they are rough riding buses. Plus, most passengers are used to rear doors that open as soon as the handle is moved. There's a 3-5 second delay on the rear door opening after the handle has been moved. Long enough that passengers frequently cuss out drivers for not opening the doors quick enough. Often find myself wondering how much effort it would be to put a small sticker sign on those doors inside, stating that there is a time delay opening the doors. Would cool down a lot of tempers at least.

saw 6277 on the 349 yesterday.

6272 (route 364) and 6273 (349) are showing up on WebWatch at South. I have a feeling that the bottom of the blue ones at West (would start at 6268) are eventually heading on out.

A couple of 2400s still show up, but certainly nowhere near the 11 South supposedly still has.

According to Webwatch, 6232 and 6250 are on Rt 353.

http://gis.pacebus.c...map.aspx?mode=v

6250 is old news since Academy went out of business.

What seems new news is that 6272-6277 all appear to be at South.

BTW: The link to WebWatch doesn't capture any information. You have to do a screen shot.

I actually saw 6277 last week on route 877, which I really thought was strange until I read this. I watched Webwatch last night and sure enough 6272-6277 are at South, but a handful of 6600s are still there.

Two conclusions/questions: 1. It looks like there's no chance any 2400s head to Waukegan and after reading an earlier post that Orion 2368 croaked and the remaining ones will be gone by the end of the month, it appears the school runs up there will be 6600s or 2400s if they stick around. Bad news for those drivers and students and it will be quite an adjustment. We'll see how this goes in the coming months. 2. I'm not totally convinced all of the 6600s are on the move from South. All the ones I saw yesterday on Webwatch are on the lower passenger routes so I'm thinking they keep some, send the rest to Waukegan. I do think more 6200s (blue or white) are heading south. What the telling tale will be what happens to the 6000s eventually as more El Dorados are put in service. We could start seeing some of those retired too in the coming months.

I actually saw 6277 last week on route 877, which I really thought was strange until I read this. I watched Webwatch last night and sure enough 6272-6277 are at South, but a handful of 6600s are still there.

Two conclusions/questions: 1. It looks like there's no chance any 2400s head to Waukegan and after reading an earlier post that Orion 2368 croaked and the remaining ones will be gone by the end of the month, it appears the school runs up there will be 6600s or 2400s if they stick around. Bad news for those drivers and students and it will be quite an adjustment. We'll see how this goes in the coming months. 2. I'm not totally convinced all of the 6600s are on the move from South. All the ones I saw yesterday on Webwatch are on the lower passenger routes so I'm thinking they keep some, send the rest to Waukegan. I do think more 6200s (blue or white) are heading south. What the telling tale will be what happens to the 6000s eventually as more El Dorados are put in service. We could start seeing some of those retired too in the coming months.

Again, only opinion:

• It appears that the blue NABIs to South are sufficient to get the rest of the 2400s there out of service. But, with South slated to get CNGs, and now it no longer having the oldest fleet, I don't expect much else to happen at South through mid 2014.
  • The oldest buses are now at North, with a few to be replaced at NS. The only viable inference at the moment is that they will be replaced by 6600s, but nothing is to say whether that is directly from West or more blue NABIs to South and then 6600s from South. If I were betting, directly from West, but the last I looked, I wasn't Melinda Metzger.
  • The 6000s depend on the constantly changing numbers of how many Axess buses were ordered.

• 2 weeks later...