Pace Bus Moves

pace2322

No, don't think so. Looking at Webwatch this morning/evening, there are still a ton of 6600s at South and still at least 10 2400s. As bad of shape those buses are, they are not likely to go anywhere until either the new buses arrive or there is some sort of changes in routing that frees up buses. I'd bet on the former as opposed to the latter. Plus, a few 6200s are also on the 877 and 888 currently. So they have to keep the 2400s for now.

Yesterday, I spotted #6221 working 356 at Homewood on Dixie HWY/ 183rd. I remember last time rode that bus few years ago on 322.

Yesterday, I spotted #6221 working 356 at Homewood on Dixie HWY/ 183rd. I remember last time rode that bus few years ago on 322.

Basically when 6600s were freed up after Joliet and Westmont got ElDorados, several of the lower range of West's 6200s went to South, as did two from Academy.

The person who tipped us off about the existing 6900s going to Heritage and the leased ones being spares or going to South probably isn't here to answer us anymore, but the main thing I have noticed on Webwatch is that 6910-6912, 6914-6915*, have shown up on 877 and 878, but apparently no more than one or two at a time, and the balance are 6200s and 6600s. That hits me as strange.

Anyway, having to divert NABIs to these two routes indicates why South has more of them.

______

*I assume no 6913, and it is not clear whether there are 6908-6909, or the series started over at 6910.

Did some of 6900s (2001 models) been retired sometime ago? I haven't seen any of them in couple years.

Did some of 6900s (2001 models) been retired sometime ago? I haven't seen any of them in couple years.

They are all on the 755/855 Bus on Shoulder routes on I-55. Consult that topic, then check out Webwatch, where they appear on those two routes.

• 1 month later...

Spotted 2700 working a Downers Grove Shuttle Route at the Belmont Metra Station. Thought that was an odd place to put. I thought they had their own shuttle buses, unless they are short.

Belmont has a First Student route (821) as well as one Downers Grove route (464). So, unless there were two blue buses there, it was on 821.

Downers Grove has the white large paratransits with a green stripe.

But you did find where one of the 3 from Hinsdale/Western Springs went.

For that matter, I haven't seen any evidence that Highland Park has lost any 2600s or that the hybrids are being used that much.

Belmont has a First Student route (821) as well as one Downers Grove route (464). So, unless there were two blue buses there, it was on 821.

Downers Grove has the white large paratransits with a green stripe.

But you did find where one of the 3 from Hinsdale/Western Springs went.

For that matter, I haven't seen any evidence that Highland Park has lost any 2600s or that the hybrids are being used that much.

I also saw 2802 with route 821 displayed. 2700 had to be running route 464, but it didn't display that, as none of the white large paratransits do anyway. It displayed "Downers Grove Commuter Shuttle - West." I'd be curious to know if 2700 is there permanently and if its parked where the white paratransits are parked as well, which is in a lot down the street from the police station, not far from the Downers Grove Main Street Metra station.

• 2 weeks later...

Spotted 2701 today also running a Downers Grove Community Shuttle running the Southeast route. So I would have to assume 2699 also was placed there as well. What I didn't know until I googled it today was the community shuttle is now fully funded by Pace including fareboxes and that the Village of Downers Grove doesn't have to put out a dime for it. So if this is the case, then it would totally make sense to put regular Pace buses over there. I remember when the new Downers Grove buses replaced the older buses, they kept at least 1 of them as spares. Doesn't appear to be the case now.

Spotted 2701 today also running a Downers Grove Community Shuttle running the Southeast route. So I would have to assume 2699 also was placed there as well. What I didn't know until I googled it today was the community shuttle is now fully funded by Pace including fareboxes and that the Village of Downers Grove doesn't have to put out a dime for it. So if this is the case, then it would totally make sense to put regular Pace buses over there. I remember when the new Downers Grove buses replaced the older buses, they kept at least 1 of them as spares. Doesn't appear to be the case now.

Could you provide a link?

Somewhat of a clue is that the 2012 budget says that Downers Grove has a 36% recovery ratio, which is in line for Pace as a whole, and the same as Niles and Highland Park. On the other hand, the 2011 budget says "This service is included in Pace's budget for 2011 at a cost of $494,000, offset by revenue of $444,000 which includes local subsidy."

For that matter, the 2012 budget says that the Schaumburg Trolley is "partially" funded by Schaumburg, while in 2011 it was "100%."

Both of these were a result of Pace playing with the recovery ratio, in that the overall recovery ratio is marginally improved if the locals supplied 90% or 100% of the revenue.

Of course, that brings us back to Andre's post, i.e. Pace still owns the 5 cutaways, and what becomes of them after all the hoo-ha about the grants for them.

Could you provide a link?

Somewhat of a clue is that the 2012 budget says that Downers Grove has a 36% recovery ratio, which is in line for Pace as a whole, and the same as Niles and Highland Park. On the other hand, the 2011 budget says "This service is included in Pace's budget for 2011 at a cost of $494,000, offset by revenue of $444,000 which includes local subsidy."

For that matter, the 2012 budget says that the Schaumburg Trolley is "partially" funded by Schaumburg, while in 2011 it was "100%."

Both of these were a result of Pace playing with the recovery ratio, in that the overall recovery ratio is marginally improved if the locals supplied 90% or 100% of the revenue.

Of course, that brings us back to Andre's post, i.e. Pace still owns the 5 cutaways, and what becomes of them after all the hoo-ha about the grants for them.

Mentioned in this news article:

http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/downersgrove/features/x767226092/Next-stop-in-view-for-Downers-Grove-shuttle?zc_p=0

• 3 weeks later...

2602 has been moved to Downers Grove Shuttle buses. Saw it this morning going down Main Street by the Downers Grove Metra Station.

This now makes me wonder since Pace took over the revenue and fareboxes if one of the provisions was to get rid of the white buses with the green stripe. I have not seen them lately at all.

This now makes me wonder since Pace took over the revenue and fareboxes if one of the provisions was to get rid of the white buses with the green stripe. I have not seen them lately at all.

Curiouser and curiouser.

I hark back to all the rigamarole with regard to getting the grants for them. Maybe Pace is holding onto them for proposed CARs (as mentioned in the May minutes), but they seem too big for that. Maybe they go to 895?

The other obvious question is whether this is related to the mysterious order for 2826-2829, although it is clearly related to yanking 2699-2701 off 668/669.

I have a friend that drives part-time for Downers Grove and he told me Downers Grove has Pace 2601, 2602, 2603, 2699, 2700 and 2701.

He says that all of the International body on chassis buses have been, or will be returned to Pace. They had continuous problems with the engines.

The engines have a particulate trap to capture and reburn exhaust gases. However, the buses did not operate at the higher speeds needed to run efficiently. With the buses also being used, at the most, 4 to 5.5 hours per day, they were continually in the shops for work.

Mel

• Upvote 1

So who takes care of grove commuter shuttle? They are there own entity/Division like Niles or Highland park?

The way it looked in the budget, it looks like it is like Niles and Highland Park, i.e. operated out of the municipal garage,* but subsidized 65% by Pace.

None of the websites (Downers Grove or Pace) seem to be updated, and I guess it would take someone out of Downers Grove to verify if the statement on the fares page "Pace passes and tickets are not valid on the Grove Shuttle" is still valid.

______

*The Public Works page, updated May 29, 2012 says that Public Works is still responsible for the Grove Commuter Shuttle.

I have a friend that drives part-time for Downers Grove and he told me Downers Grove has Pace 2601, 2602, 2603, 2699, 2700 and 2701.

He says that all of the International body on chassis buses have been, or will be returned to Pace. They had continuous problems with the engines.

The engines have a particulate trap to capture and reburn exhaust gases. However, the buses did not operate at the higher speeds needed to run efficiently. With the buses also being used, at the most, 4 to 5.5 hours per day, they were continually in the shops for work.

Mel

I rode one of those buses about a year ago and it definitely didn't seem to run right. It always seemed as if it really wasn't getting anywhere.

I did see 2602 this morning so I'm glad it is now confirmed. I'd wonder if maybe since the Pace website lists these routes as 464 and others, if they would change the sign on the buses to such, or leave it as Southeast, Southwest, etc. All the other Metra feeder routes in this area just show the city Metra Station (i.e. 665 showing Westmont Metra Station) in the morning and the route's general location in the evening.

It seems a lot of previously unseen 6600s have popped up at West. Among them arr:

One reason they might have been previously unseen (and 6641 and 6642 were slow getting to NS) might be the Pace minutes indicating that most of the 6162 and 6600 series NABIs have received power plant replacements.

One reason they might have been previously unseen (and 6641 and 6642 were slow getting to NS) might be the Pace minutes indicating that most of the 6162 and 6600 series NABIs have received power plant replacements.

I recall reading a while back a Pace RFP for new diesel engines for its Nabis. So you might be correct.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a trip down to Downers Grove this afternoon.

2699-2701 were downtown, but also 0002, so they aren't all gone yet.

0006 (a very small bus owned by DG and without Pace logos) also went by with a sign for NORTH ROUTE over the passenger entry door.

Hinsdale and Willow Springs had 5700 series paratransits (5735 and 5712), at least with route placards in the wing window.

I took a trip down to Downers Grove this afternoon.

2699-2701 were downtown, but also 0002, so they aren't all gone yet.

0006 (a very small bus owned by DG and without Pace logos) also went by with a sign for NORTH ROUTE over the passenger entry door.

Hinsdale and Willow Springs had 5700 series paratransits (5735 and 5712), at least with route placards in the wing window.

2601-2603 might had been already out running the opposite times when you were down there. Don't know if you made it to the Belmont Station, but one of them I'm sure was there. I see 0006 almost daily on the North Route, but didn't know 0002 was still running. Maybe a backup?