Lettered Bus Stops Pilot?????

BusHunter

Theres some strange signage going on over by Montrose/Cicero if anyone wants to check it out. It seems the bus stops are lettered making a rather confusing experience I shot some pictures. At Montrose blue line there is an a and b side. I thought it was different route buses but it's not. Pics are from Montrose/Cicero

20180905_164406.thumb.jpg.94ceac2fef36706db6e5f374f9c9ac97.jpg20180905_164416.thumb.jpg.7a82255bbbb1b7825d461103fe67f611.jpg20180905_163848.thumb.jpg.484e77f7b47b3bcebf719b729f3c6faf.jpg20180905_163814.thumb.jpg.9496241f20d60914d75b20ab3d0f4d18.jpg

That  must be an RTA pilot, as it is exactly the same as at Rosemont and Barrington Road. The 54A sign is the same format as the ones on the Tollway at Barrington  Road, which I thought was Pace copying CTA, but I no longer think that. Also that sign had to Rosemont blacked out for 607, which goes to NWTC. The Barrington Road pedestrian bridge had an indication for Stop A on the north side, which I previously noted was not in service.

And, predictably, someone spent money on a route to be discontinued.

IIRC, the RTA was doing something similar downtown near a Metra station.

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

That  must be an RTA pilot, as it is exactly the same as at Rosemont and Barrington Road. The 54A sign is the same format as the ones on the Tollway at Barrington  Road, which I thought was Pace copying CTA, but I no longer think that. Also that sign had to Rosemont blacked out for 607, which goes to NWTC. The Barrington Road pedestrian bridge had an indication for Stop A on the north side, which I previously noted was not in service.

And, predictably, someone spent money on a route to be discontinued.

IIRC, the RTA was doing something similar downtown near a Metra station.

Union Station to be exact.

7 hours ago, Busjack said:

As the one depicted above is Montrose Mayfair on the map, the theory must be that that's where to transfer between the Milw. N. and the Blue Line to O'Hare, as stated in the Metra schedule.

So pretty much where both metra and cta intersect is where you will find them.  Possibly to help direct city passengers who want to travel to the burbs but not too familiar

1 hour ago, Sam92 said:

So pretty much where both metra and cta intersect is where you will find them.  Possibly to help direct city passengers who want to travel to the burbs but not too familiar

Looks like the opposite. In most cases to direct Metra riders to buses, as there would be no need to have lettered bus stops. In this case, directing Metra passengers to the Blue Line. The Barrington Road one must be "Partner Site Using Interagency Standards," although it is not on the linked map.

12 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Any idea why the 29 has two bus bays?

To reduce congestion, as the route is busy enough that there are sometimes two buses there at once. (One pulls in before the other leaves)

14 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Also, is there a possibility of this pilot extending to the Orange Line stations or Howard station?

This signage not a pilot, it is already an RTA standard, but not yet implemented systemwide. These recent examples are being installed in more prominent places, but the signs at some locations such as 95th/Western and Joliet have existed for a few years already. The map I linked to above does not show the locations you asked about, but as @Busjack noted, Barrington Road isn't on the map either. These signs will likely be installed during any station rebuild from now on, and existing locations will be changed as time and funding allows.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, CTA5750 said:

I like the new redesigned bus stops  I dont understand the letters though  I wish CTA would redesign that boring logo   Maybe do an updated 1950s style???

On 10/15/2018 at 8:08 PM, andrethebusman said:

Service notice for Jeff Park bus terminal rebuilding shows lettered stops. Seems to be spreading systemwide as an effort to help direct people to correct stop in complex areas. Makes sense, easier to say "stop D" than "4th platform in the terminal to your right".

I think this was the goal, although I'm happy to be wrong