Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

New CTA Bus & Rail System Map for July 2024 now published on the CTA website (previous one before was from September 2023, so they finally updated it about 10 months later).

https://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/6/ctamap_SystemMap.pdf

Very nice! The new color for Pace contrasts better with the map. I find it interesting that the X routes got their own color vs part-time express, but I can see the logic, so I'm not mad about it.

Changing the circles to squares for the route bullets will probably be the most controversial change (as much as folks will care anyway) and not one that I think was wholly necessary, but I see the purpose it serves.

I think I also like the more muted red for express routes on the map, but I think it's small oversight that it doesn't match the red on the legend or on bus stop signs. Perhaps to avoid confusion with the red line?

I also just realized the 100 is the only express route that doesn't get onto DLSD. Is the 100 even really an express? It basically runs limited-stop for ~1 mile, and then makes all local stops, it might as well just be called a local. Then again, all the other express routes do something similar, so

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I also just realized the 100 is the only express route that doesn't get onto DLSD. Is the 100 even really an express? It basically runs limited-stop for ~1 mile, and then makes all local stops, it might as well just be called a local. Then again, all the other express routes do something similar, so

Depends on the definition of "express," as X9 and X49 are "express," EDIT: but I see they and 100 are a different color than part-time routes like 148.

100's name is a legacy when it ran non-stop on 95th and made the Jeffery Manor loop (Van Vlissigan/100th/Torrence) and 106 went to Ave. B. As you noted, still a limited stop route west of Cottage Grove (95 is concurrent).

6 hours ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

so they finally updated it about 10 months later).

The need for the update is to account fo Damen/Lake and 9 to Ravenswood Metra, but only the former is reflected on the map and service hours, so this is only going to be good for one month. There is a note about the upcoming change on Ashland, though.

On 7/18/2024 at 6:49 AM, FarNWSider773 said:

Here's a map visualizing those CTA bus routes that were discontinued/eliminated between the years of 1996 and 2023.

Overstates extent of cuts, as 21 past 54th replaced 25, 71 replaced 27, X28 renumbered to 28 without substantive change, 32 became part of 35 after a gap, 95E/W merged into 95, 104 into 34/115, and 204 replaced by 93.

It also doesn't recognize that some routes (17, 49A, 56A, 90N, 205) were assumed by Pace (317, 349, Pulse/270, 423, 208/213).

Hence, I don't think this is a useful research tool.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

Depends on the definition of "express," as X9 and X49 are "express," EDIT: but I see they and 100 are a different color than part-time routes like 148.

100's name is a legacy when it ran non-stop on 95th and made the Jeffery Manor loop (Van Vlissigan/100th/Torrence) and 106 went to Ave. B. As you noted, still a limited stop route west of Cottage Grove (95 is concurrent).

2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Very nice! The new color for Pace contrasts better with the map. I find it interesting that the X routes got their own color vs part-time express, but I can see the logic, so I'm not mad about it.

Changing the circles to squares for the route bullets will probably be the most controversial change (as much as folks will care anyway) and not one that I think was wholly necessary, but I see the purpose it serves.

I think I also like the more muted red for express routes on the map, but I think it's small oversight that it doesn't match the red on the legend or on bus stop signs. Perhaps to avoid confusion with the red line?

Well in the legends box they rightfully classify X routes as limited stop routes and LSD routes are colored for express. Helps everything stand out a bit more as far as what the routes do and what type. 

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

48 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Well in the legends box they rightfully classify X routes as limited stop routes and LSD routes are colored for express. Helps everything stand out a bit more as far as what the routes do and what type. 

I also realized that my initial statement was incorrect, since the 19, 120, 121, 125, 128 & 192 are also express routes

For some reason, since I believe it's currently suspended and has been since 2020, the new map is showing the 284 (the six flags bus) lol. It's not currently shown on the RTA system map, and to my knowledge, none of the Pace express to events routes have been shown on either RTA or CTA map outside of a text box note

Screen Shot 2024-08-03 at 8.46.11 PM.png

23 hours ago, Shannon tahoeppv said:

A few buses left on the dead line over here at C 1989 fare box been snatched out so it's looking like she's retired waiting to be taken to the boneyard 

Some of them have sat there for almost over a year on the dead line like #1989, #1990 & #2005. The boneyard has space back there for these 3.

22 minutes ago, geneking7320 said:

When did the useful life standard for buses go from 12 years to 14 years?

I've been only able to find 12 years based on the FTA Useful Life Benchmark for heavy-duty transit vehicles.   The question is whether any extensions or exceptions were given based on the pandemic?   Not that it matters to CTA as they routinely exceed 15 years and usually get close to 20 years.    The 6400s made it 20 years.  The 2006 New Flyers are 18 years old.  The 2009 New Flyers are 15 years old now.   The other question is whether extensions or exceptions are being made to help agencies comply with the electric bus mandate?   Without some flexibility,  some transit agencies would be forced to purchase diesel or hybrid buses making the transition to all electric fleets more difficult in the long run.  

On 8/7/2024 at 9:55 PM, YoungBusLover said:

It has been two years since this was posted during the board meeting and the landscape of the entire Rail/Bus fleet has hit a wall in some aspects. 

Simply put, this is obsolete, in light of

• The bus electrification transition plan.
  • The announcement of the 9000 series rail cars.

@artthouwill is correct about the 12/14 useful life. Other than that, I don't know why a superseded capital plan is being discussed.

IMO, another reason I think there should not be a random CTA topic.

1 hour ago, Jackson232 said:

Some Chicago artists will have murals on some cta trains. The lines will be Blue,Green and Orange. More about this and what the cars will look like is on the article https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/chicago/news/chicago-artists-murals-to-grace-exteriors-of-cta-train-cars/

Maybe this explains the cars in 98th Yard.   The Blue and Orange Line murals more than likely will be on 2600 series cars.  The question is whether the Green Line will borrow a 2600 series consist or will they actually be a 5000 series consist with the murals?  The Orange and Blue Line serve the airports and the Green Line serves the United Center and McCormick Place. 

5 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Maybe this explains the cars in 98th Yard.   The Blue and Orange Line murals more than likely will be on 2600 series cars.  The question is whether the Green Line will borrow a 2600 series consist or will they actually be a 5000 series consist with the murals?  The Orange and Blue Line serve the airports and the Green Line serves the United Center and McCormick Place. 

This would make perfect sense. And I think the green line will be borrowing 2600s because the photos on the website of the murals on the cars are on 2600 cars. So I bet the green line will barrow 2600 cars.