Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

13 minutes ago, urbanguy0508 said:

I stumbled upon this news clipping from 1967. It mentions a study that attempted to imitate the success of the Skokie Swift in Franklin Park.

https://imgur.com/a/PP3gnh9

Does anyone know where I could find more information about this study?

Looking at the article, it seems an early example of a 55-year old series of "let's get some federal welfare for the consultants." I doubt there was any actual study, and, obviously nothing came of it.

• Upvote 1

On 4/17/2024 at 9:34 PM, NewFlyerMCI said:

Vote scheduled today on the mayoral recommendation of Rev. Micheal Eaddy to the CTA board. Detractors note that Eaddy has no transit industry experience. ... Ald. Vasquez was particularly interested in seeing if Eaddy would commit to being a regular rider (an enthusiastic yes)

I think this would make him the 3rd reverend on the board if confirmed? I feel like there's a way to spin a great schism joke in there.

Apparently, Rev. Eaddy didn't get the nod.*  CT Board agenda for May 8 includes:

To approve an ordinance fixing the salary of Roberto Requejo as a member of
the Chicago Transit Board and appointing him to the Finance, Audit & Budget
Committee.

Getting past the puffery, the Press Release says that Requejo has "a Master's Degree in Urban Planning and Policy from the University of Illinois at Chicago and advanced studies in Political Science and Public Administration from the Universidad de Santiago de Compostela. His civic leadership roles have positioned him as a key advocate for transportation equity and community development, including serving on Mayor Johnson’s Transition Committee and contributing to the Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning's regional transit initiatives." Thus, he appears to at least meet the standard of the MMA Act as having a background in urban planning and community organization.

*Update: Looking at Meet the Board,  there might still be another vacancy.

11 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

I guess the lift stopped working cause it was beeping like crazy 

Old joke: "Does this bus go 'to da Loop>'" No, it goes Beep Beep."

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Do you think BranJo is secretly maneuvering to get Dorval gone or something of that nature? B/c nothing about his current actions or statements support what you're saying (in an ironic contrast to what you could infer from some of his campaign statements).

That vote of no confidence didn't just stumble into purgatory (aka rules) and he's probably the only public official that hasn't been openly hostile to Carter.

Also, I believe Eaddy was nominated for CTA's board, not RTA's, and interestingly enough, arrived on the heels of Roberto Requejo's appointment & confirmation

Moved here, since it's now just CTA, not RTA.

While I argued above that firing Carter would be futile, especially given the current composition of the CT Board, unless Stt. Jude intercedes in this impossible cause), it looks as though the local media will hound him out, and he'll land on his feet with some job at APTA or FTA. If Johnson exercises his muscle as Richard the Second and Rahmbo did, the CT Board will rubber-stamp someone with CTU connections, who will eventually reach her or his Peter Principle level in some other job.

On 5/25/2024 at 2:06 PM, Busjack said:

While I argued above that firing Carter would be futile, especially given the current composition of the CT Board, unless Stt. Jude intercedes in this impossible cause), it looks as though the local media will hound him out, and he'll land on his feet with some job at APTA or FTA.

Sun-Times: CTA president angry, defiant at City Council efforts to push him out. About what I figured; both sides play the race card, and he already appears to have landing places., and somehow the S-T thinks Brandon is Rahm.

34 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Sun-Times: CTA president angry, defiant at City Council efforts to push him out. About what I figured; both sides play the race card, and he already appears to have landing places., and somehow the S-T thinks Brandon is Rahm.

Firing Dorval Carter will not solve any of CTA'S problems.   Even if Brandon Johnson succeeded in getting rid of Carter. Brandon Johnson hasn't shown the capability to hire anyone of substance for any leadership position..  If us a miracle that he hasn't found a way to mess up the airports yet.

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Firing Dorval Carter will not solve any of CTA'S problems.   Even if Brandon Johnson succeeded in getting rid of Carter. Brandon Johnson hasn't shown the capability to hire anyone of substance for any leadership position..  If us a miracle that he hasn't found a way to mess up the airports yet.

I agree. I don’t think firing Carter will help. If they do fire him I think things are going to stay mostly the same. It’s gunna take some time to get better. And I don’t think having Carter or not having Carter will affect the time of how long it will take to get better.

3 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I'm still curious as to why you think this (not saying you're right or wrong)

Brandon Johnson as a candidate stated he would get rid of Carter if he got elected.  Now he has city council  support.   Now the Governor is stating there needs to be leadership  changes at CTA.  

14 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Brandon Johnson as a candidate stated he would get rid of Carter if he got elected.  Now he has city council  support.   Now the Governor is stating there needs to be leadership  changes at CTA.  

You're just repeating yourself. And Paul Lisnek just said on WGN News* that with Carter's Black persecution defense, Johnson is now standing behind Carter and doesn't want to pick that fight, and the City Council doesn't have any authority over the CTA. So, much of your point is moot.

------------

*Update: The video is here; start at 5:37.

12 hours ago, Busjack said:

You're just repeating yourself. And Paul Lisnek just said on WGN News* that with Carter's Black persecution defense, Johnson is now standing behind Carter and doesn't want to pick that fight, and the City Council doesn't have any authority over the CTA. So, much of your point is moot.

------------

*Video on the home page https://wgntv.com/  but not a direct url yet; at about 5:40.

I responded to a question that was asked of me.  Brandon Johnson isn't supporting Dorval Carter as much as he is saving face or retreating.  He has bigger fish to fry wuth the DNC looming.  With JN Pritzger publicly saying there needs to be a change in leadership (while saying he wouldn't use the word fire) and two State Reps proposing a superagency, Brandon doesn't have to deal with it and he doesn't have to be the bad guy.   I doubt he had a " come to Jesus" moment despite how many pastors he tries to appoint.

One of yesterday's Jeopardy clues was:

PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION

The L train & a bus to Skokie are run by the CTA, short for this original name of the "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?" band

The third place finisher said "What is the Chicago Transit ... Administration?"

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, Busjack said:

One of yesterday's Jeopardy clues was:

PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION

The L train & a bus to Skokie are run by the CTA, short for this original name of the "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?" band

The third place finisher said "What is the Chicago Transit ... Administration?"

It happens all the time on Jeopardy that they get a popular culture, music or sports one wrong.

40 minutes ago, strictures said:

It happens all the time on Jeopardy that they get a popular culture, music or sports one wrong.

I've got a feeling that with such cold clues as "North: This university is at 633 Clark St., Evanston IL,:" "Known to selfie-hounds as "The Bean", Anish Kapoor's massive "Cloud Gate" was unveiled in this U.S. city in 2004" and this one specifically referencing Skokie, there must be a writer from around here.

• Upvote 1

Rolling out a few more ridership comparison charts (77th & NP next on the way). Some notes:

• First chart combines the J14/15 & the 34/119
  • The 6 & 29 have higher Saturday ridership than weekday
    • In the case of the 6, I imagine the MED & 28 peel off riders who might otherwise take the 6 and thus give it higher weekday ridership. Maybe this is also the case for the 29 & Red line? I'm much less sure about that one
  • J14 & 15 have nearly identical Saturday & Sunday ridership, and I assume traditional 9-to-5 commuters are what pushes the J14's weekday ridership so much higher
  • The 29 is the busiest single route, but Jeffery is the busiest overall corridor

CTA103rdGarageTotalWeeklyAverageRidership(March2024)(5).thumb.png.7d6eb75c1df52f0bc9a0648cd6c3ec4b.pngCTA103rdGarageTotalWeeklyAverageRidership(March2024)(4).thumb.png.163b2b3630dda9d3412d9460472d565c.png

40 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Rolling out a few more ridership comparison charts (77th & NP next on the way). Some notes:

• First chart combines the J14/15 & the 34/119
  • The 6 & 29 have higher Saturday ridership than weekday
    • In the case of the 6, I imagine the MED & 28 peel off riders who might otherwise take the 6 and thus give it higher weekday ridership. Maybe this is also the case for the 29 & Red line? I'm much less sure about that one
  • J14 & 15 have nearly identical Saturday & Sunday ridership, and I assume traditional 9-to-5 commuters are what pushes the J14's weekday ridership so much higher
  • The 29 is the busiest single route, but Jeffery is the busiest overall corridor

CTA103rdGarageTotalWeeklyAverageRidership(March2024)(5).thumb.png.7d6eb75c1df52f0bc9a0648cd6c3ec4b.pngCTA103rdGarageTotalWeeklyAverageRidership(March2024)(4).thumb.png.163b2b3630dda9d3412d9460472d565c.png

Hyde park weekday ridership might be split between people working downtown and others in the west loop. I remember X28 used to get pretty good loads but I've moved further east since then. Also without the 26 on weekends a lot of people take J14 then switch to the 6 at 67th so that might be boosting Saturday numbers on the 6 as well. 29 mainly gets it's loads from people leaving navy pier to get into the loop for other rail lines so that's probably why weekends on 29 are higher. State pretty much tapers off until 69th where loads somewhat pick back up. Jeffery in the off peak tends to be people going up and down Jeffery itself (in which case they'll take whatever comes first) with just as many people using 15 to get to Hyde park/transfer to 3,4, green line as there are people who want to go downtown via J14. 9 to 5 and college students are indeed pushing j14 higher in the weekdays. 

• Thanks 2

On 6/1/2024 at 9:58 AM, artthouwill said:

Brandon Johnson isn't supporting Dorval Carter as much as he is saving face or retreating. 

Sun-Times pretty much confirms its crusade is over or tamped down. In a story on a meeting before the edirorial board:

CTA ‘moving in right direction’

Also during Monday’s board meeting, Johnson said the CTA is “moving in the right direction” under embattled President Dorval Carter Jr. The mayor refused to discuss Carter’s long-term future, but argued it is “not unheard of” for Carter to be targeted by critics because he is African-American, as Carter suggested to a City Council committee.

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

Sun-Times pretty much confirms its crusade is over or tamped down. In a story on a meeting before the edirorial board:

CTA ‘moving in right direction’

Also during Monday’s board meeting, Johnson said the CTA is “moving in the right direction” under embattled President Dorval Carter Jr. The mayor refused to discuss Carter’s long-term future, but argued it is “not unheard of” for Carter to be targeted by critics because he is African-American, as Carter suggested to a City Council committee.

Of course Johnson plays the "it's cause he's black" card 🙄. They're not after him because of color but at the same time I still say Carter actually is the only recent president who was actually restoring service before the COVID crisis and driver shortage 

• Upvote 1