Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

For 8A trips that end at 119th, are those interlined? Do they turn around on city streets or just go out of service?

No.  They go 119th to Peoria, 120th, and back north on Halsted.   The last trip is actually a NB trip that ends at 79th and Perry and does a short deadhead to Wentworth.  The 119th trips only operate when the 108 is operating.   

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

No.  They go 119th to Peoria, 120th, and back north on Halsted.   The last trip is actually a NB trip that ends at 79th and Perry and does a short deadhead to Wentworth.  The 119th trips only operate when the 108 is operating.   

Thanks for that! I feel they should switch its line on the map to solid instead of dashed if it goes to 127th more often that it goes to 119th

35 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Thanks for that! I feel they should switch its line on the map to solid instead of dashed if it goes to 127th more often that it goes to 119th

I guess they do it to differentiate the 8A and the 108.  The dash represents part time service.  So technically. the 8A runs between 79th and 119th. With extended service to 127th when the 108 isn't operating. 

When the 108 started, the 8A was cut back to 119th, as the 108 was once a 24 hrs route.  When the 108 was reduced to rush only, the 8A extension to 127th was put in place.  I get your point  since there is more off peak ( weekend) service than peak.  But Monday through Friday,  there is more peak service than nonpeak.

28 minutes ago, BusGuy said:

i don't remember north park had novas! lol 

I still remember the North Park having the old Nova bus in 2010 to when they transfer out I forgot because I rode 22 36 and old #144 bus routes.and the bus number were upper 6600 to 6708 and some 6400's too if my memory is correct.

I have no idea where the hell to put this, but here we are. 

From the CTA Board Meeting: There will be an extension to route 157 and realignment of routes 52 and 94 on Kedzie and California
These changes will go into effect in April. 
Route 157 will be extended as a 1 year pilot to the Pulaski Pink Line station and provide service on Ogden between IMD and Pulaski

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, indigofoundue74 said:

From the CTA Board Meeting: There will be an extension to route 157 and realignment of routes 52 and 94 on Kedzie and California
Route 157 will be extended as a 1 year pilot to the Pulaski Pink Line station and provide service on Ogden between IMD and Pulaski

What are the changes to the 52 and 94?

The old 38 Ogden/Taylor used to go to Pulaski/Ogden but was cut back to California due to low ridership.   This route 157 is essentially the same route as the old 38.  It parallels the Pink Line.   There's no reason for me to think that this extension will be more successful than the last one. 

2 hours ago, indigofoundue74 said:

55 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

What are the changes to the 52 and 94?

The old 38 Ogden/Taylor used to go to Pulaski/Ogden but was cut back to California due to low ridership.   This route 157 is essentially the same route as the old 38.  It parallels the Pink Line.   There's no reason for me to think that this extension will be more successful than the last one. 

For some reason, I think the 52 and the 94 are going to swap northern terminals, although I have no evidence to back that up and is just intuition on my part. In regards to the 157, I've always believed that section of Ogden should have at least rush hour service. Personally, if they want to really capture new ridership, they'd extend it to Cicero/24th Pl, since it would give people access to the Walmart and transfer connections. Between the various iterations of the 37, 38 and 157 though, this has to be the most modified route other than maybe the 1

5 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

For some reason, I think the 52 and the 94 are going to swap northern terminals, although I have no evidence to back that up and is just intuition on my part. In regards to the 157, I've always believed that section of Ogden should have at least rush hour service. Personally, if they want to really capture new ridership, they'd extend it to Cicero/24th Pl, since it would give people access to the Walmart and transfer connections. Between the various iterations of the 37, 38 and 157 though, this has to be the most modified route other than maybe the 1

According to an article in the Chicago Tribune, you are correct. The 52 will end at Kedzie/Chicago and the 94 will be extended to Addison. The article also mentions a holistic, system-wide bus service study, which has never been done before.

7 hours ago, rvwnsd said:

According to an article in the Chicago Tribune, you are correct. The 52 will end at Kedzie/Chicago and the 94 will be extended to Addison. The article also mentions a holistic, system-wide bus service study, which has never been done before.

What would be the point of switching both routes lol

7 hours ago, Shannon CVPI said:

What would be the point of switching both routes lol

5 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Read and you'll find out why......

Not everyone has access to the article since there is a paywall.

My guesses are 

1.  To align the frequencies of both California segments.  Seems like the Kedzie segment of the 52 is the heaviest.  This should improve reliability on Kedzie .

2.  M California riders can access the Green Line trains from California rather than Kedzie.

The only question is which garage will operate the expanded 94?  It could stay at 74th, or move to K or C.

19 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

My guesses are 

1.  To align the frequencies of both California segments.  Seems like the Kedzie segment of the 52 is the heaviest.  This should improve reliability on Kedzie .

2.  M California riders can access the Green Line trains from California rather than Kedzie.

The only question is which garage will operate the expanded 94?  It could stay at 74th, or move to K or C.

Either it'll stay at 6 since the garage is it's southern terminus or it'll be shared with P, Addison/Rockwell is easier to reach from Foster/Kedzie than Chicago/Pulaski or Kedzie/Jackson

25 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

My guesses are 

What pay wall? I know the tribune charges for subscriptions but I accessed the article just fine and also the same information can be retrieved on CTAs website as well....

1 minute ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Either it'll stay at 6 since the garage is it's southern terminus or it'll be shared with P, Addison/Rockwell is easier to reach from Foster/Kedzie than Chicago/Pulaski or Kedzie/Jackson

While I think it could stay at 6, I don't think P is an option.  With K or P, trips can begin/end at Jackson or Chicago.   There's a precedent.   When K operated the 8, trips in both directions statted at or around the Blue Line UIC Halsted station.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

What pay wall? I know the tribune charges for subscriptions but I accessed the article just fine and also the same information can be retrieved on CTAs website as well....

You get like 3 free articles to read,  then after that the popups come asking you to subscribe.   I've already reached my limit,  thus I can't access that atticle.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

While I think it could stay at 6, I don't think P is an option.  With K or P, trips can begin/end at Jackson or Chicago.   There's a precedent.   When K operated the 8, trips in both directions statted at or around the Blue Line UIC Halsted station.

You're absolutely right. Funnily, enough, 52 trips in the early morning & late night trips start at Kedzie & Van Buren