Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

i just found out about this and i'm in complete shock. the 52 route hasn't been revised ever, if not mistaken? i think it will help more people in humboldt park! though i wonder why they can't run it all the way on kedzie? i know kedzie BLVD is hard for busses to get through, but is that at all possible? i mean i know kimball is close by, but the whole system is filled with routes that are close. california needs to be extended to montrose or a brown line station, so that it serves the entire corridor imo. and will the 93 be renamed NORTH california/dodge? the ogden extension is something i've always been for, i think this time it'll work since north lawndale residents have been begging for this, and there are a number of schools and businesses it will serve. i think it should be extended to cicero/24th though but at least it's something! i hope all this works out well.

5 hours ago, TransitQueen22 said:

i just found out about this and i'm in complete shock. the 52 route hasn't been revised ever, if not mistaken? i think it will help more people in humboldt park! though i wonder why they can't run it all the way on kedzie? i know kedzie BLVD is hard for busses to get through, but is that at all possible? i mean i know kimball is close by, but the whole system is filled with routes that are close. california needs to be extended to montrose or a brown line station, so that it serves the entire corridor imo. and will the 93 be renamed NORTH california/dodge? the ogden extension is something i've always been for, i think this time it'll work since north lawndale residents have been begging for this, and there are a number of schools and businesses it will serve. i think it should be extended to cicero/24th though but at least it's something! i hope all this works out well.

In regards to the 157, I definitely agree it should go to Cicero/24th. In regards to service on Kedzie, buses can fit down the street, but the corridor has always been sorta hamstrung by the 82 being so close. On top of that, I don't think there's been bus or trolley service on Kedzie btwn Chicago & Fullerton. Extending it to Montrose would make it longer than I think it needs to be, and the actual NB terminal would have to be either Kimball or Western most likely. The 93 used to be called North California, but idk why it was dropped when it gained the Dodge extension (I still think the 15 should be Jeffery/51st, so I agree with you there). I don't expect name changes unless the pilots become permanent tbh.

In regards to the 52 & 94, the history of these two routes fascinates me, so I'll use your comment as a springboard for a deep dive.

52: the original 52 went from California/Roscoe to Kedzie/67th as far back as 1953 when it was a streetcar. Sometime btwn 1953 and 1956, it switched to trolley buses and was truncated to 63rd, it's current southern terminus. Eventually, it would switch from trolley bus to motor bus, but I'm unsure as to the year of this switch. Starting in 1987, its southern terminus was switched to 51st/St Louis and service to Kedzie/63rd was reserved for late night service only, although this ended in 1993. Since then, the route has existed as we know it.

52A: This is also a route with few changes. Used to end at Kedzie/63rd, was extended to 43rd/Archer sometime between 1982-1985 and was truncated back to the Kedzie Orange line upon its opening.

82(A): There used to be service on Kedzie from Milwaukee to either Foster or Bryn Mawr, provided by an offshoot of the 82, However, the 82A is too complicated to understand without a timetable (a little bit like the modern day 82 with all its various service patterns), so I'll let you make of the map what you will.

89: There was also a dedicated North Kedzie route, from Logan Square station to North Park garage (officially Kedzie/Berwyn). There are only records of it from 1982-1985 and was presumably cancelled due to low ridership and competition from the 82 (it did only run peak and maybe midday). It's original function was to replace a discon't segment of the North California route (what we know as the 93).

93: As far back as 1972, this route used to run all the way to Logan Square (I've always wondered why there was a terminal there) and had two NB terminals: Peterson/Jersey or Howard/McCormick, via Foster, California & Howard. The Peterson/Jersey route was cancelled sometime in 1973, and sometime between 1980-1982, service to Logan Square was cut. The 93 would suffer service cuts in 1992 (Sunday) and 1997 (Mon-Sat late evening) but in 2003 would eventually be extended to Davis Purple line along the routing we know. There was also another North California, although no map for it is available (although it's routing was covered by the 82A, mentioned above).

94: The 94 has also been fairly consistent, at least in its early stages. The earliest iteration, as a gas bus, went from Chicago/Sacramento (using the service drives to loop) to California/71st. In 1983, it was extended (really its SB just moved a couple blocks) to Marquette Park (71st/Kedzie). In 1994, it was rerouted to serve Western Orange line. In 2005, it was moved to the Chicago/Kedzie/Grand loop it serves now. It also played garage hot potato for a(n extended) minute: It was transferred from Kedzie to Archer in 1994, then after Archer closed in 2010, it was split between Chicago & 74th, then two years later was moved fully to 74th with two years after that being the SB terminal change from 71st/Kedzie to 74th/Damen.

I've read some people think the 157 should be extended further to Cicero/24th.  Why?  There are 3 other routes that use that turnaround (35. 54, and 60), with 2 of those routes being heavy routes.  I don't think there's enough space for another route to terminate there.   Notice the 54B DOESN'T TERMINATE there.   Again. I don't think the ridership will support a permanent extension to Pulaski based on prior history.  The Pink Line and 21 Cermak run parallel to the proposed 157 and serves the same area.  

As for Kedzie service north of Chicago,  it's not necessary  considering the nearby 82.  Yes I know the current 52 and 82 run close between Chicago and Douglas, but that's a small 2 mile stretch.   There are routes that run parallel to each other in close proximity  like the 24 and 29.  The difference here is that,  because of the Dan Ryan Expressway,  some riders that have to use the 24 because they don't have access to the 29.  Other routes like the 1 were truncated because of low ridership being parallel to the 29 and the 3.

Ridership has shown preference for the current 82 over any iterations of Kedzie service north of Chicago.   

I think the 52 and 94 changes will eventually become permanent. though I don't think the changes will draw Logan Square and Humboldt Park area riders to the Green Line.   Even if some are initially drawn,  I don't think they will find it an attractive alternative to the Blue Line. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I've read some people think the 157 should be extended further to Cicero/24th.  Why?  There are 3 other routes that use that turnaround (35. 54, and 60), with 2 of those routes being heavy routes.  I don't think there's enough space for another route to terminate there.   Notice the 54B DOESN'T TERMINATE there.   Again. I don't think the ridership will support a permanent extension to Pulaski based on prior history.  The Pink Line and 21 Cermak run parallel to the proposed 157 and serves the same area.  

As for Kedzie service north of Chicago,  it's not necessary  considering the nearby 82.  Yes I know the current 52 and 82 run close between Chicago and Douglas, but that's a small 2 mile stretch.   There are routes that run parallel to each other in close proximity  like the 24 and 29.  The difference here is that,  because of the Dan Ryan Expressway,  some riders that have to use the 24 because they don't have access to the 29.  Other routes like the 1 were truncated because of low ridership being parallel to the 29 and the 3.

Ridership has shown preference for the current 82 over any iterations of Kedzie service north of Chicago.   

I think the 52 and 94 changes will eventually become permanent. though I don't think the changes will draw Logan Square and Humboldt Park area riders to the Green Line.   Even if some are initially drawn,  I don't think they will find it an attractive alternative to the Blue Line. 

• Of course the 54B doesn't end there, that's like ending the 52A at 63rd while the Orange Line is not that much further north or having the 54 end at Cicero/16th when the Pink Line and other bus connections are spitting distance away, that wasn't a good comparison. The, 21 an isn't am apt replacement, considering the 157 route goes downtown and the 21 doesn't. Furthermore, the 157 only runs weekdays, which is the service level I think that stretch needs. My (again, personal) reasons for going to Cicero/24th was to have a one-seat ride to the two shopping centers, at Cicero/22nd and Cicero/26th, since you'd have to transfer at least if you live along the Ogden corridor now. I acknowledge there's space constraints at Cicero/24th, but since two of the routes have 10-12 mins headways during peak and 157 is 10-15 mins, it might just work. 
  • The section of the 1 that got truncated for being too parallel to the 3 didn't happen until after all the other service cuts. I'm assuming you know why it went from 83rd/South Shore to 63rd/Stony Island to 51st/Drexel?
  • I do also think it'll be permanent, but whatever CTA is expecting to happen, won't

56 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:
  • Of course the 54B doesn't end there, that's like ending the 52A at 63rd while the Orange Line is not that much further north or having the 54 end at Cicero/16th when the Pink Line and other bus connections are spitting distance away, that wasn't a good comparison. The, 21 an isn't am apt replacement, considering the 157 route goes downtown and the 21 doesn't. Furthermore, the 157 only runs weekdays, which is the service level I think that stretch needs. My (again, personal) reasons for going to Cicero/24th was to have a one-seat ride to the two shopping centers, at Cicero/22nd and Cicero/26th, since you'd have to transfer at least if you live along the Ogden corridor now. I acknowledge there's space constraints at Cicero/24th, but since two of the routes have 10-12 mins headways during peak and 157 is 10-15 mins, it might just work. 
  • The section of the 1 that got truncated for being too parallel to the 3 didn't happen until after all the other service cuts. I'm assuming you know why it went from 83rd/South Shore to 63rd/Stony Island to 51st/Drexel?
  • I do also think it'll be permanent, but whatever CTA is expecting to happen, won't

The 54B is a perfect example.   Even though passing 24th allows it to connect to the Pink Line,  it really doesn't have the ridership to connect to it since its mostly industrial south of 31st to about 44th, then you are in Midway territory.   The 53 and 53A share the same Terminal at 31st even though there's an unused turnaround at the Pink Line Pulaski station.   I wonder if the 157 will use that turnaround. 

When the 1 went to 83rd and South Shore, it was the 1 Drexel/Hyde Park,  which Northern Terminal was Northwestern  (Ogilvie) Station.   The 38 Indiana ran between 63rd and Union Station.   CTA decided to cut back the 1 to 63rd/Stony AND combine it with the 38 to become the 1 Indiana/Hyde Park.   Ironically,  the justification was to eliminate duplication as the 4 Cottage Grove bus ran one block west of Drexel and paralleled the 4 all the way downtown.  Never mind the fact that the 1 had good ridership and the 38 really didn't.   The portion of the 1 between 63rd and 83rd was covered by a rerouted 27 South Deering .  We know the 27 eventually was combined with the 71 to form the current 71.

The 1 Indiana/Hyde Park was a failure from jump, which is why it got reduced to rush hour only,  then cut to Drexel Square,  then cut again to 35th.

Back to the 157.  The Ogden corridor has access to the Cermak to 24th shopping area via either the Pink Line or the 21 which is just south of the Pink Line.   The 26th to 31st shopping area is different. but the way the 157 and 60 has to access Cicero Avenue. there really isn't an easy way to get there unless you walk from 26th and Ogden, so to me. that shopping area isn't a good case for extending the 157.  The best access to there is the 54B.  I would be glad to be wrong,  but I don't think any extension past California will work  be it Pulaski or Cicero. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2020 at 4:07 PM, artthouwill said:

Imo they should leave it how it is look at it what is it going to attract especially if the 94 gone shoot down Cali like the 52 does now the only possible thing I can see coming from this is like how C & FG did with the 76 C let FG take over all operations but i don't believe they gone switch routes cuz what since would that make when the 52 still slide pass K Humboldt Park and Logan square residents still have bus service like they do now unless if they do swap they will make the 94& 52 faster cuz as they stand right now those two routes are slow when it comes to waiting for a bus  

On 1/19/2020 at 7:24 PM, artthouwill said:

The 54B is a perfect example.   Even though passing 24th allows it to connect to the Pink Line,  it really doesn't have the ridership to connect to it since its mostly industrial south of 31st to about 44th, then you are in Midway territory.   The 53 and 53A share the same Terminal at 31st even though there's an unused turnaround at the Pink Line Pulaski station.   I wonder if the 157 will use that turnaround. 

I can't see them NOT use it. The old #37 Sedgwick/Odgen (and the #38 Ogden/Taylor) used that turnaround. It was made during the Douglas branch rehab so buses wouldn't have to turn around at the median on Cermak & Karlov.

11 hours ago, Shannon CVPI said:

Seen a work bus this morning on Roosevelt & Ashland my lady was like dam that bus sign broke I told her it's not broke that bus retired & it's a work bus then she sign they tinted it real good 

Nah, THIS is broken!

On 5/19/2015 at 5:48 PM, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

#1148 with Cubs ad and funky route number sign.

t10404307_10153392794089432_4978809491787989931_n.thumb.jpg.533b5b30dc14d78e5adb408f3dbe0ccd.jpg