Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

4 minutes ago, geneking7320 said:

Hi Folks;

I have usually seen CTA drivers change at intersections that were 'on axis' with that route's garage [#3 King Dr changes at 79th for example].

Why do #95 drivers change at the 95th Red Line station vs 95th and Stony Island?

Not too familiar with drivers from but most likely cuz that's where most of 3 routes turn around at all of the routes there rub out of 3 & it's a lil distance in between Stony & the red line that maybe the reason why but somebody in on here runs out of 3 they will have more solid info

2 hours ago, geneking7320 said:

Hi Folks;

I have usually seen CTA drivers change at intersections that were 'on axis' with that route's garage [#3 King Dr changes at 79th for example].

Why do #95 drivers change at the 95th Red Line station vs 95th and Stony Island?

@Mr.cta85 will probably know best, but I think the answer is that more buses go to 95th (since almost all of 103rd's routes start there) so a relief can ride with another driver or the 106 to 95th/Red Line, which is centrally located and has places for the driver to wait and whatnot. If you were a driver, would you rather wait at the red line or at 95th/Stony? Happy to be wrong about all of this, since it's only speculation on my part.

8 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

@Mr.cta85 will probably know best, but I think the answer is that more buses go to 95th (since almost all of 103rd's routes start there) so a relief can ride with another driver or the 106 to 95th/Red Line, which is centrally located and has places for the driver to wait and whatnot. If you were a driver, would you rather wait at the red line or at 95th/Stony? Happy to be wrong about all of this, since it's only speculation on my part.

I couldn't think oh his name but I knew somebody here came out of 3

12 hours ago, geneking7320 said:

Hi Folks;

Others have given me best explanation but ther is one other factor.  The 28 doesn't serve the 103rd garage for the majority of its service hours.  The vast majority of trips start and end at Olive Harvey College.  Thus there's no direct route from the garage to 95th/Stony Island.  CTA drivers can take the 106 or 353 to 95th/Red Line for reliefs. The garage is served by J14, 15,26, 106, and 353.  Early morning and late night trips on the 28 serve the garage, either pull outs and ins or when Olive Harvey is closed.  Riders can transfer between the 28 and 106 at Olive Harvey.

29 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Others have given me best explanation but ther is one other factor.  The 28 doesn't serve the 103rd garage for the majority of its service hours.  The vast majority of trips start and end at Olive Harvey College.  Thus there's no direct route from the garage to 95th/Stony Island.  CTA drivers can take the 106 or 353 to 95th/Red Line for reliefs. The garage is served by J14, 15,26, 106, and 353.  Early morning and late night trips on the 28 serve the garage, either pull outs and ins or when Olive Harvey is closed.  Riders can transfer between the 28 and 106 at Olive Harvey.

Olive Harvey trips still end up at 103rd. I've rode a few. #6 drivers relieve at stony Island and 67th or in times of short turns 63rd

12 hours ago, geneking7320 said:

Hi Folks;

it’s much easier for drivers from 103rd to take the 106 East 103rd straight to red line from the garage instead of take the 106 to olive harvey and get a 28 to 95th 

1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

it’s much easier for drivers from 103rd to take the 106 East 103rd straight to red line from the garage instead of take the 106 to olive harvey and get a 28 to 95th 

Y'all know those Olive Harvey trips STILL enter the garage right? Check the bus tracker map and you'll see. The signs are pretty misleading. They pass through but don't terminate there. 

8 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I will defer to you on this. 

Scratch that they terminate there, layover but allow passengers to remain because going NB the stop at 103rd/Stony Island terminal then hop on the Ford. So yeah it's more of a convenience reason as far as 95th reliefs. 

21 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Why are the garages so close to each other? It almost seems like they're pairs (74th/77th, NP/FG, Kedzie/Chicago). When I was younger I used to think 1 garage handled all the N-S routes and the other handled all the E-W ones ?

I use to think the same ???

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Why are the garages so close to each other? It almost seems like they're pairs (74th/77th, NP/FG, Kedzie/Chicago). When I was younger I used to think 1 garage handled all the N-S routes and the other handled all the E-W ones ?

74th and C are the most recent garages built.  I suppose those were the only locations available at the time they were built.   They are far enough from residents to not garner complaints like the proposed Fisk facility on Cermak and Aberdeen.  103rd was also built in a non residential area.  77th is the oldest garage followed by North Park.  K was rebuilt.

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

74th and C are the most recent garages built.  I suppose those were the only locations available at the time they were built.   They are far enough from residents to not garner complaints like the proposed Fisk facility on Cermak and Aberdeen.  103rd was also built in a non residential area.  77th is the oldest garage followed by North Park.  K was rebuilt.

Dam why would they get complaints tho just buses going in & out the garage

1 hour ago, Shannoncvpi said:

I think the first complaint was environmental issues.  Places that have fuel tanks underground tend to have leaks that contaminate the ground.   That could affect sewage and water.   Also, the fact that it was located near the Chicago Rivet didn't help.

The Pilsen community also wanted guarantee assurance that people from their community would get jobs, not only in construction. but jobs with CTAst that garage.  I don't think CTA or the city could match Federal funds or contribute anything in getting it built.  

Besides. I think the site was already contaminated and needed to be cleaned up.   The site had been vacant for years.   It still would be a great place for a new CTA garage IMO.

Due to the ongoing pandemic, CTA has started conducting new guidelines for the health and safety of its employees and passengers on the train. This includes a new announcement recorded by Lee Crooks to be played on all 8 rail lines. Thanks to all our essential workers, first responders for all that they do for us during these tough times.

1 hour ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Complaints like this are almost always about environmental concerns. In DC, a garage (former streetcar barn converted into diesel bus garage) is undergoing a forced renovation due to partial collapse and has faced serious opposition due to residents not wanting diesel buses to come back and instead only have it be used for electric buses or not at all (WMATA was including infrastructure for future electric buses). For reference, the garage is located in a part of DC with no train service (the big U part on a map), the next closest garage is the 2nd smallest in the system and the rest aren't close (Imagine NP or FG having to cover the 44). I don't know what the reasons are with Kedzie specifically, but seeing as people live around there, it probably had to do with fumes and other environmental issues.

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I think the first complaint was environmental issues.  Places that have fuel tanks underground tend to have leaks that contaminate the ground.   That could affect sewage and water.   Also, the fact that it was located near the Chicago Rivet didn't help.

The Pilsen community also wanted guarantee assurance that people from their community would get jobs, not only in construction. but jobs with CTAst that garage.  I don't think CTA or the city could match Federal funds or contribute anything in getting it built.  

Besides. I think the site was already contaminated and needed to be cleaned up.   The site had been vacant for years.   It still would be a great place for a new CTA garage IMO.

True & I follow you now bro 

3 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Complaints like this are almost always about environmental concerns. In DC, a garage (former streetcar barn converted into diesel bus garage) is undergoing a forced renovation due to partial collapse and has faced serious opposition due to residents not wanting diesel buses to come back and instead only have it be used for electric buses or not at all (WMATA was including infrastructure for future electric buses). For reference, the garage is located in a part of DC with no train service (the big U part on a map), the next closest garage is the 2nd smallest in the system and the rest aren't close (Imagine NP or FG having to cover the 44). I don't know what the reasons are with Kedzie specifically, but seeing as people live around there, it probably had to do with fumes and other environmental issues.

Yea cuz it's people that lives right behind K I run out of K & FG also it's the rich people homes right behind FG & homes in the blocks surrounding it