Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

2 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Have anyone seen this video of CPD officers beating a teen on the bus it appears to be bus 8062 idk what route but CTA is free unless you get a bus with the card reader in the back & second those officers need to be retrained as you see 1 officers his actually getting a kick punching this kid in the ribs 

Maybe if they weren't out at nearly 3 am this wouldn't of happened....., it's amazing that the video starts as several officers appear to be attacking this young guy but why wasn't the person who was recording this video recording before the situation escalated that quickly? Also whatever those two teens did to piss off an operator at nearly 3 am is beyond me, even though bus rides are free during a state wide stay at home order are that doesn't mean people should be out at all times of the day going no where especially at that time of night, people are beginning to take the jobs of transit operators and staff for granted and eventually they'll be more push back against the public.

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Maybe if they weren't out at nearly 3 am this wouldn't of happened....., it's amazing that the video starts as several officers appear to be attacking this young guy but why wasn't the person who was recording this video recording before the situation escalated that quickly? Also whatever those two teens did to piss off an operator at nearly 3 am is beyond me, even though bus rides are free during a state wide stay at home order are that doesn't mean people should be out at all times of the day going no where especially at that time of night, people are beginning to take the jobs of transit operators and staff for granted and eventually they'll be more push back against the public.

Yea I agree but the thing that blows me the officer is laughing about it it like they need to fire his ass & idk what they doing out at that time of the morning probably up to no good & probably was messing with the driver & I gotten written up supervisor said I didn't handle the situation in a professional & that it came from above his head to do so but he told me next time just let the people talk long as they don't run up in my face don't act like we are on the street

On 4/19/2020 at 9:26 AM, Shannoncvpi said:

Throwback what garage was this in going to say K but K never ran those gen Nova's so was this 3 or NP 

Screenshot_20200419-002904.png

They showed a portion of the exterior entrance as the bus was coming in. It actually looked like 74th to me!  It didnt look like a brick structure. Maybe the interior was C. The Novas look so awkward without the bike racks.    

11 minutes ago, CTA5750 said:

They showed a portion of the exterior entrance as the bus was coming in. It actually looked like 74th to me!  It didnt look like a brick structure. Maybe the interior was C. The Novas look so awkward without the bike racks.    

Naw it's not C I don't think they ever had any Nabis & if it is 6 I thought they ain't have the lifts for the 60 footers so my only option left I think is maybe 3 or NP or it might have been A before they shut that down 

6 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

3 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Yea I agree but the thing that blows me the officer is laughing about it it like they need to fire his ass & idk what they doing out at that time of the morning probably up to no good & probably was messing with the driver & I gotten written up supervisor said I didn't handle the situation in a professional & that it came from above his head to do so but he told me next time just let the people talk long as they don't run up in my face don't act like we are on the street

They could've been coming or going from work. Description also says the operator told them to get off the bus for "speaking too loudly" and then immediately called the police from there when they refused. And even after that, there was no need for 6 cops to handle that situation, nor for them to keep beating on him after they had him restrained.

5 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

They could've been coming or going from work. Description also says the operator told them to get off the bus for "speaking too loudly" and then immediately called the police from there when they refused. And even after that, there was no need for 6 cops to handle that situation, nor for them to keep beating on him after they had him restrained.

So what job hires two young teenagers not in uniform to be coming home or going to work at nearly 3 am? Also in englewood I might add.

17 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

So what job hires two young teenagers not in uniform to be coming home or going to work at nearly 3 am? Also in englewood I might add.

FedEx is a great example, doesn't have uniform and has overnight and sunrise shifts both at Bedford Park and 1400 S Jefferson locations. It's true, they could've just been out, but they also could've been coming from work. They also might've had another, possibly important, reason for being out. We don't know that part though, all we have to go on is the video and the description, and if that's true, things didn't need to escalate to where they did. I'd just imagine that being on the bus at 3am in Chicago is very few people's idea of a good time.

3 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

FedEx is a great example, doesn't have uniform and has overnight and sunrise shifts both at Bedford Park and 1400 S Jefferson locations. It's true, they could've just been out, but they also could've been coming from work. They also might've had another, possibly important, reason for being out. We don't know that part though, all we have to go on is the video and the description, and if that's true, things didn't need to escalate to where they did. I'd just imagine that being on the bus at 3am in Chicago is very few people's idea of a good time.

I just hate that everyone seems to be focused on how CPD handled this more so than the two individuals that brought this on themselves, like are people so closed minded towards seeing a police take-down being performed? What is everyone expecting to see happen starships and rainbows along with singing kumbaya for them to be removed peacefully?  Judging by the video this took place at 2:37 am on or near Damen Ave and only three or four routes run E/W during that time of night are Garfield,63rd,67th,and 79th if this did take place on the southside and if that's the case that really puts in to question where are there parents and were they aware of there two sons being out that late at night during a stay at home order.

Just now, YoungBusLover said:

I just hate that everyone seems to be focused on how CPD handled this more so than the two individuals that brought this on themselves, like are people so closed minded towards seeing a police take-down being performed? What is everyone expecting to see happen starships and rainbows along with singing kumbaya for them to be removed peacefully?  Judging by the video this took place at 2:37 am on or near Damen Ave and only three or four routes run E/W during that time of night are Garfield,63rd,67th,and 79th if this did take place on the southside and if that's the case that really puts in to question where are there parents and were they aware of there two sons being out that late at night during a stay at home order.

1. If the bus driver called the police for them just "speaking too loudly" and not even cursing wildly, that was out of pocket. As we just learned with @Shannoncvpi things don't need to escalate until they're right up in your face, hands on you and whatnot.
  2. You have to do a lot to "bring on yourself" 6 cops beating you, even after you stopped resisting. Again, if the only thing they did wrong was "talk loudly" (which how many people do things like listen to music or hold convos on the phone), things didn't need to reach the point in the video.
  3. No one is expecting to see starships and rainbows, just another human being treating another human being with a measure of decency. If you're a police officer and all it takes is someone talking hot shit for you to lose your cool, you don't need to have the badge, full stop. The first officer apparently didn't even confirm all who was in the wrong, just came in and started swinging (partially evidenced by the fact that one of the officers was going to handle the camera man, who wasn't implicated). And I'll reiterate once again, if the only thing they did was "talk loudly", then all parties involved escalated this way past where it needed to go.
  4. If the video was "these young adults screamed and cursed at the bus driver, spitting in their face", I'd probably still have an issue with how CPD handled the one guy, but I'd certainly be far less empathetic to how he and his friend ended up in that position. 

10 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Have anyone seen this video of CPD officers beating a teen on the bus it appears to be bus 8062 idk what route but CTA is free unless you get a bus with the card reader in the back & second those officers need to be retrained as you see 1 officers his actually getting a kick punching this kid in the ribs 

A few observations.

1.  All the young men had to do was tone it down when the driver asked them to.  Had they complied, the video never happens.

2.  Had the young men got off the bus when requested,  the video never happens.

3.  Obviously they didn't come with either request.  Although some would say the driver unnecessarily called the police. the driver could easily feel like he or his passengers could be at risk.  Suppose the driver continues driving and he either gets attacked while driving or when the men exit the bus.  Remember a driver was recently attacked at 94th and Ashland.   Given the time of day (night), Cleary a justifiable preemptive move.

4.  The level of disrespect for law enforcement  to not move for them.  Someone on the video said they were juveniles,  but they were grown enough to disrespect their fellow riders, the driver.and the cops.  They put themselves in that position.

5.  The video doesn't make clear the ages of the men.  If they were 17 or older, going to   or more likely coming home from work is plausible.  Again. Just toning down would have been enough. Without knowing all the facts. I could speculate they got off work earlier and was hanging out possibly getting high.  That would explain to me why physical force didn't seem to affect them much.  Again speculation only.

We will have to wait for the details to come out.

6.  Considering only seeing the cops beating them, why did they?  We can't see if the men did anything when the cops tried to remove them to cause the cops to react.  At least they didn't shoot them.  But again  the men brought this on themselves.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

UPS my lil homie worked there when he was 18 & had to be there at 4 am but I'm just really getting at why it take all of those officers & the 1 that's punching him & smiling about it

36 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:
  1. If the bus driver called the police for them just "speaking too loudly" and not even cursing wildly, that was out of pocket. As we just learned with @Shannoncvpi things don't need to escalate until they're right up in your face, hands on you and whatnot.
  2. You have to do a lot to "bring on yourself" 6 cops beating you, even after you stopped resisting. Again, if the only thing they did wrong was "talk loudly" (which how many people do things like listen to music or hold convos on the phone), things didn't need to reach the point in the video.
  3. No one is expecting to see starships and rainbows, just another human being treating another human being with a measure of decency. If you're a police officer and all it takes is someone talking hot shit for you to lose your cool, you don't need to have the badge, full stop. The first officer apparently didn't even confirm all who was in the wrong, just came in and started swinging (partially evidenced by the fact that one of the officers was going to handle the camera man, who wasn't implicated). And I'll reiterate once again, if the only thing they did was "talk loudly", then all parties involved escalated this way past where it needed to go.
  4. If the video was "these young adults screamed and cursed at the bus driver, spitting in their face", I'd probably still have an issue with how CPD handled the one guy, but I'd certainly be far less empathetic to how he and his friend ended up in that position. 

That video doesn't really confirm anything to me other than someone being an opportunist recording video of something that wasn't getting much action until CPD came along, the person behind the camera footage could of easily stepped in and tried to get them off the bus before CPD got there but I guess people living in the hood still have that crabs in a barrel mentality begging for a hookup and milking it until the wheels fall off. Transportation is a key for essential workers and people that are doing essential things in this city that require the services of CTA,PACE and Paratransit not to those that want to joy ride and go to and from people's houses putting themselves and others at risk of catching covid-19. Operators have a job to do but with this pandemic it just heightens our stress levels to the max to the point where we are getting fed up with the public's blatant disrespect towards us, acting as if we're there personal chauffeurs and were suppose take it especially when there using a service to go no where essential and only riding because its free. CPD has been under fire since the red line incident earlier this spring and if this video gets media attention everyone will wonder why 6 officers 3 being women smaller than him quote on quote "assaulted an unruly teenager" while trying to remove them from a city bus.  

7 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

A few observations.

1.  All the young men had to do was tone it down when the driver asked them to.  Had they complied, the video never happens.

3.  Obviously they didn't come with either request.  Although some would say the driver unnecessarily called the police. the driver could easily feel like he or his passengers could be at risk.  Suppose the driver continues driving and he either gets attacked while driving or when the men exit the bus.  Remember a driver was recently attacked at 94th and Ashland.   Given the time of day (night), Cleary a justifiable preemptive move.

4.  The level of disrespect for law enforcement  to not move for them.  Someone on the video said they were juveniles,  but they were grown enough to disrespect their fellow riders, the driver.and the cops.  They put themselves in that position.

5.  The video doesn't make clear the ages of the men.  If they were 17 or older, going to   or more likely coming home from work is plausible.  Again. Just toning down would have been enough. Without knowing all the facts. I could speculate they got off work earlier and was hanging out possibly getting high.  That would explain to me why physical force didn't seem to affect them much.  Again speculation only.

6.  Considering only seeing the cops beating them, why did they?  We can't see if the men did anything when the cops tried to remove them to cause the cops to react.  At least they didn't shoot them.  But again  the men brought this on themselves.

Now I know that officers come heavy when CTA bus & train drivers call but just that officer beating & smiling about is what made me mad

3 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Now I know that officers come heavy when CTA bus & train drivers call but just that officer beating & smiling about is what made me mad

You ever watch P.I's and Bounty Hunters then because they have more free range than regular cops and i'll just say its not pretty.

7 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

A few observations.

I definitely agree, there where multiple points before this where the resulting video had to happen. I think, based on the description and the video, all parties (bus driver, teens, cpd) are at varying levels of fault, with the bus driver having the least amount and CPD having the most. I certainly think there's more we just don't know yet. To #5, both were 16 yrs old.

2 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

That video doesn't really confirm anything to me other than someone being an opportunist recording video of something that wasn't getting much action until CPD came along, the person behind the camera footage could of easily stepped in and tried to get them off the bus before CPD got there but I guess people living the hood still have that crabs in a barrel mentality begging for a hookup and milking it until the wheels fall off. Transportation is a key for essential workers and people that are doing essential things in this city that require the services of CTA,PACE and Paratransit not to those that want to joy ride and go to and from people's houses putting themselves and others at risk of catching covid-19. Operators have a job to do but with this pandemic it just heightens our stress levels to the max to the point where we are getting fed up with the public's blatant disrespect towards us, acting as if we're there personal chauffeurs and were suppose take it especially when there using a service to go no where essential and only riding because its free. CPD has been under fire since the red line incident earlier this spring and if this video gets media attention everyone will wonder why 6 officers 4 being women smaller than him quote on quote "assaulted an unruly teenager" while trying to remove them from a city bus.  

• If something has evolved to the point where recording is happening, I don't think it's "easy" to just get involved
  • I'm not sure how the crabs in barrel mentality applies here
  • I'm not particularly upset at nor do I "blame" the bus driver, although with the facts we have now, I think they were a minor part of the reason it escalated to where it did. However, driver safety is paramount, and while I don't believe (as of right now) they were doing anything to warrant removal from the bus, I do understand at night, its a different ballgame. In just these last two weeks, I've witnessed 3 different incidents with bus drivers related to the pandemic, two of which I've spoke about here on the forum
  • CPD has been under fire for reasons shown exactly in the video. My point the whole time was that CPD's response was out of hand, and I'm going to continue to speak on that until changes are made.

2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Yea cuz I worked at UPS when I was on leave from the military & I had to be there early af but idk where these kids was coming from 

4 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I definitely agree, there where multiple points before this where the resulting video had to happen. I think, based on the description and the video, all parties (bus driver, teens, cpd) are at varying levels of fault, with the bus driver having the least amount and CPD having the most. I certainly think there's more we just don't know yet. To #5, both were 16 yrs old.

• If something has evolved to the point where recording is happening, I don't think it's "easy" to just get involved
  • I'm not particularly upset at nor do I "blame" the bus driver, although with the facts we have now, I think they were a minor part of the reason it escalated to where it did. However, driver safety is paramount, and while I don't believe (as of right now) they were doing anything to warrant removal from the bus, I do understand at night, its a different ballgame. In just these last two weeks, I've witnessed 3 different incidents with bus drivers related to the pandemic, two of which I've spoke about here on the forum
  • CPD has been under fire for reasons shown exactly in the video. My point the whole time was that CPD's response was out of hand, and I'm going to continue to speak on that until changes are made.

See I just want Copa to see this & see how that make officer was punching & smiling about it that's my main issue

5 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Yea it is I just want Copa to see this & see how that make officer was punching him & smiling about it that's just like I want them to change their driving habits now understand that they gone run reds & hit 1 ways when going to calls but they even do it when I patrol & the problem I have with that is when we do it they wanna get pissed off & act like it's so bad when we do it but it's all good when they do it so I started recording them last year driving like that 

Just now, Shannoncvpi said:

Yea cuz I worked at UPS when I was on leave from the military & I had to be there early af but idk where these kids was coming from 

Yeah, if I had to work the sunrise shift at FedEx, I'd perish. I wouldn't even be able to take the most direct route. I can't imagine waiting for my connections at 79th & Western, 63rd & Western or 79th & 63rd Red Lines at 2:30a in the morning. I hate waiting at 79th & King during the day lol.

16 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

As soon as an operator stops and secures the bus and asks you to get off after giving a verbal warning to calm down and you decide to not abide by that request as a young teen you're asking for trouble, now the adult behind the camera recording could of easily stepped in and tried to intervene to rectify the situation they chose not to and let it get to the point where we currently are now. The crabs in a barrel mentality goes way back to a time where people would beg operators for free rides knowing that we couldn't dispute it and let them go, i've heard passengers countless times growing up and currently now wishing that transit was free because apparently it was to pricey for there taste. People beg and beg until the wheels fall off and there attitude changes to where they now feel entitled to treat transit workers a certain way now. They want authority to act professional and conduct themselves a certain way that is a higher standard than the very customers that can't return the same satisfaction towards us. Being an operator myself people have gotten more disrespectful towards me and my fellow co-workers and its put everyone in a tight box on how to handle it properly because it keeps getting worse and worse as the weeks go by.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, YoungBusLover said:

As soon as an operator stops and secures the bus and asks you to get off after giving a verbal warning to calm down and you decide to not abide by that request as a young teen you're asking for trouble, now the adult behind the camera recording could of easily stepped and tried to intervene to rectify the situation they chose not to and let it get to the point where we currently are now. The crabs in a barrel mentality goes way back to a time where people would beg operators for free rides knowing that we couldn't dispute it and let them go, i've heard passengers countless times growing up and currently now wishing that transit was free because apparently it was to pricey for there taste. People beg and beg until the wheels fall of and there attitude changes to where they now feel entitled to treat transit workers a certain way now. They want authority to act professional and conduct themselves a certain way that is a higher standard than the very customers that can't return the same satisfaction towards us. Being an operator myself people have gotten more disrespectful towards me and my fellow co-workers and its put everyone in a tight box on how to handle it properly because it keeps getting worse and worse as the weeks go by.  

• We don't know he/she gave that warning, even if it might be true
  • I also don't think it's just that easy to get involved either
  • I do sympathize about the current plight bus drivers are facing right now

That being said, I'll elect to table this conversation between us here, mostly because I think we generally agree with each other on the basics (these teens could've prevented this from happening) and the other details we don't see eye to eye on will just derail any further conversation. I understand where you're coming from, especially on the treatment of bus drivers and for the most part, I agree.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Yeah, if I had to work the sunrise shift at FedEx, I'd perish. I wouldn't even be able to take the most direct route. I can't imagine waiting for my connections at 79th & Western, 63rd & Western or 79th & 63rd Red Lines at 2:30a in the morning. I hate waiting at 79th & King during the day lol.

I had a car then when I came home on leave so I jumped in & go

1 minute ago, NewFlyerMCI said:
  • We don't know he/she gave that warning, even if it might be true
  • I also don't think it's just that easy to get involved either
  • I do sympathize about the current plight bus drivers are facing right now

That being said, I'll elect to table this conversation between us here, mostly because I think we generally agree with each other on the basics (these teens could've prevented this from happening) and the other details we don't see eye to eye on will just derail any further conversation. I understand where you're coming from, especially on the treatment of bus drivers and for the most part, I agree.

I'll end it on this note, it's easy when done correctly to remove someone, I won't say how but a few veteran operators gave me some well needed insight on it.