Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

I think the routes that would be up for elimination are

54A

55A

62H

37 since it duplicates the brown line

merge the 106 and 103 into one route that makes a stop at the 95th red line.

Considering the 2012 crowd reduction plan with bus routes being cut to favor the L lines, I’ve wondered about if the idea of the 56 Milwaukee being cut to favor the ohare branch of the blue line.

13 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

28 needs to go downtown, even if only during rush hour. Stony Island is the only N/S street east of the ryan with no bus connection to downtown or a cta train during all regular service hours. Especially since if most people transfer to the 6, they're going to do it at 47th/Lake Park and not 67th/Stony Island, which is more than likely going to be an already crowded bus. I'd even rather see the original 47/28 alignment along 47th then leave Stony Island w/o an L connection or downtown connection.

I agree with the 48 (don't know how I missed that) and the North LSD routes

South of 67th,  riders can choose e/w bus connections to the Red Line or the J14.  North if 67th, riders can choose the 6 (to go downtown) or the 15 to connect to the Green or Red Lines.  Plus there are still E/W bus connections at 63rd, 61st. 55th, and 47th available.  I would say if ridership levels rebound enough to reinstate downtown service on the 28, definitely.   Right now CTA needs to save money  and there are viable alternatives at least in the short turn. Remember the downtown service was retained only to ease crowding on the 6.  Right now there aren't crowds  

18 minutes ago, Javi78 said:

54A

55A

62H

Considering the 2012 crowd reduction plan with bus routes being cut to favor the L lines, I’ve wondered about if the idea of the 56 Milwaukee being cut to favor the ohare branch of the blue line.

How many times do we gotta say merging 103/106 is out of the question till a red line extension ?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Javi78 said:

54A

55A

62H

54A is due to be cut in the future

At most, I could see the 124 being reduced to a Memorial-Labor schedule, but it'll probably be left alone, maybe a service reduction.That schedule is also why the 130 and 10 won't be cut

62H serves a purpose and the 55A might prove politically unfeasible

Out of all the CTA duplicates that could be cut (7, 21, 24, 29, 56, 62), the 7 and 24 would most likely be the only ones cut. All the other routes, bar the 29, have significant portions of their route away from their respective CTA train, and furthermore, their commercial corridors would be too impacted by the loss of the route (except the 7 & 24, which are mostly residential if memory serves)

12 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

South of 67th,  riders can choose e/w bus connections to the Red Line or the J14.  North if 67th, riders can choose the 6 (to go downtown) or the 15 to connect to the Green or Red Lines.  Plus there are still E/W bus connections at 63rd, 61st. 55th, and 47th available.  I would say if ridership levels rebound enough to reinstate downtown service on the 28, definitely.   Right now CTA needs to save money  and there are viable alternatives at least in the short turn. Remember the downtown service was retained only to ease crowding on the 6.  Right now there aren't crowds  

Main reason, but not the only reason. And, if the E/W connections were as tempting/useful to riders, I think we'd see different service levels on the 15, J14 & 26. It's not like the X28 wasn't busy before the cut and it wasn't all Hyde Park ridership. People would rather take a one-seat bus ride downtown than a possibly (but not always) two-seat train ride. I will say, I am speaking from a perspective of normal ridership, not the pandemic levels, so my bad for that.

3 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Out of all the CTA duplicates that could be cut (7, 21, 24, 29, 56, 62), the 7 and 24 would most likely be the only ones cut. All the other routes, bar the 29, have significant portions of their route away from their respective CTA train, and furthermore, their commercial corridors would be too impacted by the loss of the route (except the 7 & 24, which are mostly residential if memory serves)

I think the 7 is important for IMD and UIC. How much would it make sense to discontinue the 7 and have the 157 run along Harrison instead of Taylor? This might be a way to temporarily streamline service in that area while ridership is lower. People who need to get to Taylor can take the 12 instead, as Taylor is only a block away from Roosevelt.

9 minutes ago, Anthony Devera said:

I think the 7 is important for IMD and UIC. How much would it make sense to discontinue the 7 and have the 157 run along Harrison instead of Taylor? This might be a way to temporarily streamline service in that area while ridership is lower. People who need to get to Taylor can take the 12 instead, as Taylor is only a block away from Roosevelt.

Hadn't thought about that. It's not a bad idea, but the 157 would also likely be on the chopping block as well. People would have to be fine with the Blue Line (which, btwn 3 stops, has 7 entrances/exits, which should be fine)

On 5/16/2020 at 11:50 PM, NewFlyerMCI said:

Hadn't thought about that. It's not a bad idea, but the 157 would also likely be on the chopping block as well. People would have to be fine with the Blue Line (which, btwn 3 stops, has 7 entrances/exits, which should be fine)

Yea the 157 could get chopped cux it dont run on holidays & I think its lije the 7 dont run on weekends but the 7 is a important line for people that need to get to the county & to rush ridership is lower on it cuz I did the 7 Thursday & I ran empty all the way from central to homan 

157 is really busy for it's limited hours, mostly students at UIC that live along Taylor St. When I was at UIC I rode from Taylor/Western to Morgan and everyday the bus would fill up by Laflin or Loomis and pass everyone up to Morgan. There's also some people that work downtown and live on Taylor St that ride at rush hour. Streeterville segment gets some traffic, mostly at rush hour, but it doesn't serve too many extra stops compared to a Michigan Ave route. Downtown to UIC is covered by the 7 and 60 already. If it were to go, I think UIC will have to put some money into their shuttle route for students. 

7 feels like a lower ridership route but it's important for the hospital connection. 126 covers the hospitals nights and weekends. Blue Line is really awful for anyone with a mobility impairment. Even though the elevator was added at IMD Ogden entrance, a lot of Blue Line stops aren't accessible. 

Hi All;

The following alert went out from CTA around 3:06pm today:

95th-bound Red Line trains are standing at Belmont due to a mechanical problem. 

I left Howard southbound on the Red around 2:30pm today. Before we arrived at Wilson I thought I smelled an electrical fire

but didn't see any smoke. The operator got out at Wilson and looked at the car I was in [3rd car]. The first Purple Express of the afternoon

arrived at Wilson so I took it to the Loop. I suspect I was on the train referred to in the alert.

Edited by geneking7320
Include more text

5 hours ago, geneking7320 said:

Hi All;

The following alert went out from CTA around 3:06pm today:

95th-bound Red Line trains are standing at Belmont due to a mechanical problem. 

I left Howard southbound on the Red around 2:30pm today. Before we arrived at Wilson I thought I smelled an electrical fire

but didn't see any smoke. The operator got out at Wilson and looked at the car I was in [3rd car]. The first Purple Express of the afternoon

arrived at Wilson so I took it to the Loop. I suspect I was on the train referred to in the alert.

yep that train came to belmont it smelled like a fire so that train got evacuated and they switched it from south to north at wellington and it took the express track to howard 3rd car was 5662

34 minutes ago, Smolensk said:

Heavy rain floods CTA bus. (video).

Unfortunately the video doesn't give any indication as to where or when it happened.

7 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

That bus out of my garage K but idk what route it was on 

I can make out "35## Something Said" so I'm inclined to believe it's its the 35, 52 or 62