Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

Does anybody know how the #8 is running after 47th Street? I was at 47th & Hoyne today waiting to go eastbound on the 47 and several #8's came by (the first one crowded) but heading towards Western Blvd. then they headed north. I just wanted to know where they go after that, to 43rd, Pershing, or 35th back to Halsted.

39 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

This artic was just chilling at Evergreen Plaza. Couldn’t make out number or garage, but I’m assuming 103rd. Taken yesterday 

D0AF6E70-87B5-40EA-A45C-032F155C9EB5.jpeg

He'll it could be from any garage they way these buses are mixed up you never know until you see the run box then the sticker from where its from 

In the effort to help maintain social distancing wouldn't it be nice to run some of these artics in revenue service vs just using them to block intersections.

I passed this intersection while on the #31 this afternoon going to the Sox/35 Red Line station [after 4pm today]. When I boarded the eastbound #95 it had more than 15 people on it.

Edited by geneking7320
include the omitted word "it"

4 hours ago, geneking7320 said:

In the effort to help maintain social distancing wouldn't it be nice to run some of these artics in revenue service vs just using them to block intersections.

I passed this intersection while on the #31 this afternoon going to the Sox/35 Red Line station [after 4pm today]. When I boarded the eastbound #95 it had more than 15 people on it.

Dam bro I was still there didnt leave till 5 left the bus there tho 

28 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

So the 79 still isn’t running past Pulaski. At this point, I just can’t fathom why. So many of my co-workers are saying they’ve been having to walk from Pulaski to Cicero to catch the 379 (and catch an earlier 79 as a result)

Dam & thats a decent walk

5 hours ago, geneking7320 said:

The concept of bus slow zones [please see the 7000 thread] prompted me to ask the following:

Is there a negative effect on CTA bus route performance where bike lanes exist?

Interesting question. I'm not sure if the city has addressed how bike lanes have modified traffic patterns.

As an occasional biker, it seems most bike lanes have been put between the parking lane and the travel lane. As a result a lot of cars and buses ignore the bike lane or use it as a standing lane. There's a few higher quality bike lanes, Harrison, Milwaukee, Clinton, and Dearborn come to mind, as well as the Washington and Randolph lanes implemented from Loop Link. The bike lane on Milwaukee has a concrete divider between the road and the bikeway. There is at least one bus stop that has been moved from the curb to the concrete divider which I would think would make the bus faster.

15 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

So the 79 still isn’t running past Pulaski. At this point, I just can’t fathom why. So many of my co-workers are saying they’ve been having to walk from Pulaski to Cicero to catch the 379 (and catch an earlier 79 as a result)

So they finally posted an alert, turns out it’s only for WB buses, but it’s TBD when it ends. 54B also only running between Cermak & Midway and 21 not running past Cicero. If they really think people are going to use the bus to loot the malls en masse, that’s hilarious. The bus driver can just not open the doors if their two arms are clearly full of stolen goods.

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

https://www.transitchicago.com/travel-information/alert-detail/?AlertId=68842

I wonder why the closed only the subways and left the loop as in. Also, this is what the cordon should’ve been on the first place, Fullerton-Western-47th was just ridiculously large

Why cut any service if the elevated is running normal? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Why cut any service if the elevated is running normal? 

I thought about this.  One explanation could be to limit escape routes for perps.  There aren't many places to go on the elevated platforms, but the subways  provide ample room to run in the dark tunnels.   There are also emergency exits every 1000 ft.  Plus you run the risk of perps and cops running on the r o w and either making contact with the third rail or getting hit by a train.